Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Exterior & Paint and Body

Old 03-24-2017, 01:40 AM   #1
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd
Default Rust Proofing

What's up everyone? As the title suggests I am looking into some sort of undercoating for my frame. I am planning to move to the SLC area this summer. From what I understand they use a bit of salt on the roads in northern Utah during the winter. Being a desert climate I don't think rust happens nearly as fast as it does on the east coast or the midwest. However, many of the HBs I'm seeing on craigslist down there have that characteristic body rot above the wheel wells and some of them are a little brown under the doors too. Being a 2WD it's not going to see snowy roads hardly at all but I'd hate to let that happen to my rig.

I grew up in a desert climate and what I've found is that sometimes frames and unpainted surfaces will get a thin coat of surface rust but nothing after that (glass and interiors are a different story, however). Then again where I lived they don't salt the roads. I have 4-5 cans of 3M undercoating lying around and am thinking about applying it to my frame before the move, just because. Any rust belters on here that could chime in? Thanks, it's much appreciated.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:26 AM   #2
synbiotic12

Vehicle: 2004 Frontier 2WD (sold), 1993 D21 4x4

I can safely say where I live is the worst rust climate I have ever seen, here they use straight salt on the roads, no sand mixed in.

Rubberized undercoatings generally don't last, they trap the moisture in, and will eventually peel off. Where I live the best thing to use is something with a more oily texture, like used hydraulic fluid, i've even seen people use old motor oil (and it works).
I'm not sure what brands you may have in your area, but I vote for something oil based to spray on your frame, even a few cans of green rust-check will allow you to spray where you wish
2007 Subaru Impreza wagon 2.5i
synbiotic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
SBJ (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Thanks Syn, I took a closer look at the label and it is indeed a rubberized coating. Seems like if it traps moisture in it would just make it rust faster. Really I don't think it will be much of a problem as long as it doesn't get driven in the snow, maybe I'm just a bit paranoid. Right now my frame still looks like it's painted and still has the factory QA markings visible. We really do have it pretty easy here. I actually worked on a car from the upper midwest this week and couldn't believe how rotted everything was.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,023 Times in 900 Posts

Hang on.... I saved a video to something that is supposed to work really well, but it has to be applied yearly (like weather sealant on a wooden deck).

Ah! ACF50

I love the video, too:

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:10 PM   #5
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

if youre really serious and planning to keep the truck for a long time, consider bedliner on the frame.

if you keep it painted really well, it will prevent rust but youd have to do a re-spray like every winter
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:18 PM   #6
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by street_rulerr View Post
if youre really serious and planning to keep the truck for a long time, consider bedliner on the frame.

if you keep it painted really well, it will prevent rust but youd have to do a re-spray like every winter
That's the plan. I plan to keep this vehicle until the world runs out of gas for it. Don't know if I'm looking to spend that much money at this point though. Maybe when I have to change the fuel pump I'll take the bed off and spray the frame, but that's not going to happen anytime soon (I hope).
Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #7
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

wash the salt off after every season and it will go a long way to keeping the truck rust free, I used to insert the hose into the frame to wash out any crap that may have gotten into it. My former truck spent almost 10 years in NY through all the winters and four wheeling on the beach and it didn't have any rust when I got rid of it,

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 AM   #8
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
wash the salt off after every season and it will go a long way to keeping the truck rust free, I used to insert the hose into the frame to wash out any crap that may have gotten into it. My former truck spent almost 10 years in NY through all the winters and four wheeling on the beach and it didn't have any rust when I got rid of it,
Good to know, thanks. Definitely planning to wash the vehicles regularly during the winter months. Again, being a 2wd I doubt it will see much (if any) snow. The only rust I've ever encountered on any car I've owned has been on the exhaust or a surface where the paint scraped off.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
Scott Turchin

Vehicle: 96 Nissan Hardbody

There is only one product....

http://www.por15.com/

Scott Turchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
kellybig

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab V6 4x4 SE

I tired some rust bullet a few days ago; I will post some pics in the near future.
kellybig is offline   Reply With Quote