Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-29-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
Chainsaw

Vehicle: 1997 Hardbody
Default 1997 with issues

1997 HB that sat 8 years. Wouldn't pass emissions due to speedo, ecm, speed controller not getting along. Oddly, everything works as should there. Since she is now 25 years old and emission exempt I've gotten her up and going.

Pulled bed and replaced fuel pump, ran ok for a ~week then started cutting in and out. Pulled bed again, removed tank and cleaned loose rust, fresh gas. Still has a random "miss" like its loosing power to pump or injectors aren't firing. Usually only does it on very hot days, after it has sat outside at work, never does it in the AM on way to work. Thought it was the fuel pump relay, swapped A/C and fuel pump relays, same issue. Jumped fuel pump relay with a wire, fixed it for a bit, but will still miss occasionally. Runs like a raped ape otherwise.

Also has a high idle, 1100-1500 or so. I have cleaned TB and adjusted idle screw with no real change.

Last edited by Chainsaw; 06-29-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:31 PM   #2
Balkins
1994 nissan d21, XE, 2wd

Vehicle: 1994 nissan d21, XE, 2wd, automatic, 4 cly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
1997 HB that sat 8 years. Wouldn't pass emissions due to speedo, ecm, speed controller not getting along. Oddly, everything works as should there. Since she is now 25 years old and emission exempt I've gotten her up and going.

Pulled bed and replaced fuel pump, ran ok for a ~week then started cutting in and out. Pulled bed again, removed tank and cleaned loose rust, fresh gas. Still has a random "miss" like its loosing power to pump or injectors aren't firing. Usually only does it on very hot days, after it has sat outside at work, never does it in the AM on way to work. Thought it was the fuel pump relay, swapped A/C and fuel pump relays, same issue. Jumped fuel pump relay with a wire, fixed it for a bit, but will still miss occasionally. Runs like a raped ape otherwise.

Also has a high idle, 1100-1500 or so. I have cleaned TB and adjusted idle screw with no real change.

Which Motor, Tranny do you have?
Balkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 01:22 PM   #3
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Which Motor, Tranny do you have?
Sorry about that. It is the 2.4L with 5 speed. Regular cab, 2wd.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:38 PM   #4
PorknBeans

Vehicle: 1997 XE King Cab with 3 pedals, KA24E & 2WD, Y’all

There is a throttle body base gasket that might need to be changed out.

A 6mm Allen socket, short extension and a 3/8” Dr. ratchet will remove the 4 Allen head bolts. Remove the throttle cable MAF etc. to take the unit off and replace the base gasket.

Use a torque wrench(important here) set to 14-17 ft./lbs.(check me on the torque) and reinstall the removed components and start the engine. Set base idle speed to a range of 800-850 rpm.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:34 PM   #5
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorknBeans View Post
There is a throttle body base gasket that might need to be changed out.

A 6mm Allen socket, short extension and a 3/8” Dr. ratchet will remove the 4 Allen head bolts. Remove the throttle cable MAF etc. to take the unit off and replace the base gasket.

Use a torque wrench(important here) set to 14-17 ft./lbs.(check me on the torque) and reinstall the removed components and start the engine. Set base idle speed to a range of 800-850 rpm.
That should fix the high idle, correct? What about the other issue I am having? It's not really a miss, more of a dead pedal. If you let off pedal when it does it, it will recover and idle. May run fine, may keep acting up. Usually happens cruising around 3k or so. Will usually clear itself up in a few min. I'm sorta thinking electrical.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:20 PM   #6
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB,95 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

a high idle could be the thermo element (pt# 16391-12G00) also known as a wax kit etc.. it push's on the fast idle cam at start up, then backs off when the vehicle warms up, unless its bad of course
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:44 AM   #7
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,271 Posts

There was a TSB about the main engine wire harness causing bucking/sputtering issues. It is here in the wiring section I believe under the title fix erratic idle etc.
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:45 AM   #8
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 VG33 Pathfinder SE 4x4 & 87 D21 SE
Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,271 Posts

Here ya go.

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25332
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Chainsaw (06-30-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 01:12 AM   #9
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post

Hey Chainsaw,

You have the KA24e engine.

You need to replace that fuel filter ASAP. If you run the engine without it, any garbage will be stopped at the injectors instead of at the filter.

The description you give sounds like something is partially clogged because it runs at first but cannot continue. It could be the air filter, the fuel filter, the injectors, or the catalytic converter.

Like PorknBeans pointed out, you should grab a Nissan Truck Service Manual. Specifically, you want this one:

1997 > Engine Control System

Download that EC section of the 19970 manual. It has lots of pictures that are very helpful.

How to troubleshoot the engine starts on EC-73. It tells how to reset the idle position memory. Check the ignition timing. It should be about 10° BTDC.

Once you have the idle and timing set correctly, get a Code Reader and pull the codes from the OBD2 port under the dash on the driver's side.

You mentioned the engine stalls, so look at the chart on EC-77 and EC-78 to see what sections of the service manual to flip to.

It isn't as bad as it looks. A lot of the symptoms have overlapping diagnostic steps that you won't need to repeat.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1997-EC-77.jpg (77.7 KB, 20 views)
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:38 AM   #10
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
Hey Chainsaw,

You have the KA24e engine.

You need to replace that fuel filter ASAP. If you run the engine without it, any garbage will be stopped at the injectors instead of at the filter.

The description you give sounds like something is partially clogged because it runs at first but cannot continue. It could be the air filter, the fuel filter, the injectors, or the catalytic converter.

Like PorknBeans pointed out, you should grab a Nissan Truck Service Manual. Specifically, you want this one:

1997 > Engine Control System

Download that EC section of the 19970 manual. It has lots of pictures that are very helpful.

How to troubleshoot the engine starts on EC-73. It tells how to reset the idle position memory. Check the ignition timing. It should be about 10° BTDC.

Once you have the idle and timing set correctly, get a Code Reader and pull the codes from the OBD2 port under the dash on the driver's side.

You mentioned the engine stalls, so look at the chart on EC-77 and EC-78 to see what sections of the service manual to flip to.

It isn't as bad as it looks. A lot of the symptoms have overlapping diagnostic steps that you won't need to repeat.

Good luck!
What fuel filter? I cleaned the sock on pump when that was changed.
Truck runs GREAT most of the time, only misses/dead pedal on hot afternoons leaving work. I don't believe it is a clog anywhere, truck runs too well otherwise.

I'm gonna dig into that TSB Cadillac posted, bet there is something there.

Also, on way to work this morning, truck idled down to around 800 pretty consistently while at red lights with A/C on. Stopped to get fuel, it went back to 1500 idle. I have made no adjustments since starting this thread.

Last edited by Chainsaw; 06-30-2022 at 11:48 AM.