Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Nissan Cars

Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 AM   #11
sajohnson

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan NX2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
when the window in my former pathfinder would only go down but not up, I took the motor out of the door, removed the metal cover, cleaned it out and wiped the coil down and reinstalled it and it was fine afterwards.
Those are the kind of stories I like!

In this case, when the windows fail, they BOTH stop working. They won't go up or down. They don't even try -- no noise at all.

So it's something common to both, but that doesn't narrow it down much.
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:44 AM   #12
sajohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
those switches arent much but a copper contact with a spring between the plastic button and the contact. you could try some electronics contact cleaner. just insert that little tube in there and give it a squirt while working the buttons. it cant hurt.
Good idea.

The reason I haven't gone right for the switches is that *both* windows fail together, every time.

I need to take another look at the schematics. I'm an electro-mechanical tech but I worked for Metro in D.C., so I'm used to railroad symbols. I find the Nissan (and most other auto mfrs') prints somewhat hard to follow in places.

That said, my assumption is that the voltage is being dropped somewhere 'upstream' from the motor control switches.

I'm guessing that there is single 12V source that splits and feeds both doors.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:25 AM   #13
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
Good idea.

The reason I haven't gone right for the switches is that *both* windows fail together, every time.

I need to take another look at the schematics. I'm an electro-mechanical tech but I worked for Metro in D.C., so I'm used to railroad symbols. I find the Nissan (and most other auto mfrs') prints somewhat hard to follow in places.

That said, my assumption is that the voltage is being dropped somewhere 'upstream' from the motor control switches.

I'm guessing that there is single 12V source that splits and feeds both doors.
Check your fuse. maybe the contact is dirty. Then check the plugs to the components. Amplifier might be in the passenger kick panel. Thats where they are on the Hardbody and Pathfinder.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:35 AM   #14
sajohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by david29 View Post
Check your fuse. maybe the contact is dirty. Then check the plugs to the components. Amplifier might be in the passenger kick panel. Thats where they are on the Hardbody and Pathfinder.
Good suggestions, thanks.

Part of the problem is that the fuse panel cover does not indicate which fuse feeds the window motors. I'll need to look at the schematics to figure out the path.

The other thing is, the problem is intermittent -- right now they're working.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:55 AM   #15
sajohnson

Default The problem has returned...

We don't drive the NX2000 very often (but it still runs strong with 250,000 miles on the clock!), and the window problem is intermittent so we're just now noticing it again.

I figured I'd bump this thread and see if there are any more suggestions.

I was able to find the power window wiring in the Nissan shop manual. There's no mention of "windows" or "power windows" in the contents, so I flipped thru and found it on page EL-8.

There are several potential causes of intermittent operation:

1) Connector E24 at the battery

2) 30A fuse connections

3) Connectors E41 and M9

4) Conn. M6 at the circuit breaker

5) The circuit breaker itself

From the circuit breaker it goes to a box labeled "Power door lock and power window". I haven't yet found what's in that magic box (what it is supposed to represent), but I think after that there are no more potential failure points that would affect both windows.

I'm not 100% sure though.

If anyone else has had this problem and/or is familiar with Nissan electrical diagrams please chime in.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:33 PM   #16
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner

when the windows don't work, I assume from the master switch on the drivers door, will the pass. window work from the switch on the pass. door?

The master switch gets dirty over time, you can try to remove the cover on the backside and clean the contacts to see if that fixes your problem.

Current truck - 2017 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner ,

(formerly owned: 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd, 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #17
sajohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardb0dy View Post
when the windows don't work, I assume from the master switch on the drivers door, will the pass. window work from the switch on the pass. door?

The master switch gets dirty over time, you can try to remove the cover on the backside and clean the contacts to see if that fixes your problem.
Thanks ahardb0dy.

When the windows fail to operate (up or down) none of the switches work.

Either everything works normally or everything stops working. That's why I'm thinking it's something on page EL-8.

I plan to check resistance and voltage drop across all connections, but I suspect the culprit is not the "E24" connector near the battery or the connection to the buss bar in the fuse box, because that feeds a bunch of other stuff in addition to the window motors.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #18
david29
Administrator

Did you ever locate the power window amplifier? Its a small white/grey colored box about 3" long by 1 1/2" square. Usually mounted in one of the kick panels.
Thanked by:
sajohnson (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #19
sajohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by david29 View Post
Did you ever locate the power window amplifier? Its a small white/grey colored box about 3" long by 1 1/2" square. Usually mounted in one of the kick panels.
I just double-checked the Nissan shop manual and searched online for "1993 Nissan NX2000 power window amplifier" and found nothing.

I found listings for the amplifier for other Nissans, but not the NX.

I've traced the entire path from the battery to the window regulator motors and there is no amplifier shown.

Is it possible that the amplifier is not used in all models?
Old 06-01-2019, 01:58 PM   #20
david29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
I just double-checked the Nissan shop manual and searched online for "1993 Nissan NX2000 power window amplifier" and found nothing.

I found listings for the amplifier for other Nissans, but not the NX.

I've traced the entire path from the battery to the window regulator motors and there is no amplifier shown.

Is it possible that the amplifier is not used in all models?
The amplifier is what makes the auto rolldown feature work.
Thanked by:
sajohnson (06-01-2019)