Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Performance and Drifting

Old 01-26-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
horridbulldog

Vehicle: 93 nissan hardbody
Default Another v8 swap thread

I have seen many v8 hardbodys lately and it's becoming tempting. What kinda work and parts are needed and what's the easiest/best engine? The hardest part it sounds like to me is figuring out the wiring. And will the v8 engine mounts I've seen for sale work?
horridbulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:36 AM   #2
rkyclrk

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan truck

Easiest would absolutely be a small block chevy with turbo350 transmission. There are no bolt in mounts that I know of, but mounts are one of the easiest problems to overcome when v8 swapping. With a small block you could run a carb and have almost no wiring or do a TBI set up. TBI should be pretty basic as far as wiring goes.

Best swap I would say would be An LSx variant. Wiring for these actually looks pretty easy if you can score the whole harness from a donor car and there is tons of info on line. I think A 6.0 chevy with a 4.8 crank in it would be cool. Its not like you would be needing all of that torque in a sub 3000lb pickup anyway. The problem is I couldn't see putting anything but t56 or tko500/600 behind a LSx and those would probably end up being more than I would spend on the motor itself.

My choice is a vh45 from an Infiniti q45. Probably the most challenging, ugliest intake, and least powerful v8 swap anyone would consider for a d21 but If you are crafty they can be had for cheap or free. I got my tranny for $55 so after a $300 adapter plate I wont be in it for much cash but but will be in it for a lot of work.
rkyclrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Tigwelder85 (12-10-2015)
Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #3
horridbulldog

I've seen motor mounts for sale on 4x4 type website. I didn't know if they were any good. I'll look for the link. I was thinking a carbed 350. I read somewhere the t5 tranny fits in the hardbody crossmember? I would love a stick for swinging and drifting.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
rkyclrk

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan truck

When I was considering doing a small block or LSx I did a little learning about t5 trannys and it seems like there are a ton of variants and most of them suck a little bit and the ones that are good cost a lot more. From what I could gather a v8 worthy t5, I think "world class" was the term being thrown around, usually goes for at least $500 unless you get lucky or "know a guy". Also from what I could gather even world class t5s aren't really bullet proof anyway. Muncies have no overdrive and are more expensive than t5s. There are saginaw trannies which are probably weaker than non world class t5s and are made from iron. Those range in price from $free to around $150 on craigslist from what I have seen. I would think that gm had some sort of manual transmission from the 90s-early 2000s that would have been in pickups But I haven't been able to find anything and don't know if or why it wouldn't would work in this situation. If you could find one it would probably be cheap because no one would want to stick that in a camaro.
rkyclrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 AM   #5
horridbulldog

shoot, maybe I should just 5 speed swap my truck to get it back on the road and go for power from there. Also being in california i would have to get a dirty smog and those are about $400 compared to a normal smog whick is about $70.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
Bill

Vehicle: 91 jetta

I think in the 90s gm used a 5 speed trans in the full size trucks called the nv4500?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
horridbulldog

Yea, the nv4500 is a big truck transmission. was gonna use it for my 6.0 swap in my silverado. i like the muncie 4 speeds but they dont have an overdrive like the t5. The t56 would be the best transmission but there pretty long, so i hear.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Slaminsunfire
Donkey Master

Vehicle: 2000 Frontier

For motor mounts I bought these from speedway and will be using them

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevy...unts,1906.html
Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
mytmouz

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody

The NV is hard to package an exhaust around. My latest LUV had one in it, the prior owner gave up and put a 700r4 in it. THe engine bay/suspension is pretty close between a LUV and a Nissan. The LS engine is actually slightly shorter in length than the regular sbc, and no distributor. I went with the sbc/tbi swap in mine though because I already had the stuff. I had a donor Z71 suburban, so I unbolted the frame mounts and used those. I cut the nissan mounts off, and set the engine in place, put some flat plate in place and tacked it. Removed the engine and added some bracing and welded it all up, then stuck the motor back in. Took about an hour fro m start to finish. I cut the center of the trans crossmember out so I could remove the trans without pulling the motor and fabbed up a removeable crossmember out of a piece of channel and 2 pieces of angle to bolt it to. The actual fab work was no biggie, the tbi was sort of a pain, but I was using a stock gm harness I modified...
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Fabrik8

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1995

Don't forget the 1UZFE, cheap engine, reliable, strong, and readily available in pick n pull yards for parts/ replacement blocks and heads. Also gaining a ton of popularity in the Supra/240sx worlds for massive amounts of power. I got mine for 200$ Full swap minus trans because the trans is useless anyway. If you did the swap and decided to go with a stand alone MS makes a PnP for the LS400 harness which can be used for either the SC400 or LS400 engine (sc requires a few small mods).

When picking the engine remember to consider weight.

KA24DE - 371 pounds (no trans no accessories)
1UZFE - 390 pounds (no trans no accessories)
LS1 5.7 - 430 pounds (add 80 for the 6.0) (no trans no accessories)
VH45DE - 490-500 pounds (no trans no accessories)
Fabrik8 is offline   Reply With Quote