Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Site Info > FAQs and General Info

Old 10-09-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
ScottXGTR
Retired Administraitor

Vehicle: 990 SuperDuke
Default How to post pics

The first step is to host the picture on the internet. You CANNOT display pics directly from your hard drive. Two popular hosting sites are www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.us OR you can host them in your InfamousNissan Album. (How to use the InfamousNissan album system is also in listed below.)

Once you have them hosted, right click on the picture, and highlight and copy the location (firefox users) or the address (internet explorer users). This should be the url to the picture, such as www.internet.picture.jpg.

(Photobucket can provide image tags for you automatically (click for example), but for now, lets learn the mechanics of it. )

Paste the address info into your post.

Then you must add the image tags for it to display. The image tags are [img] and [/img]. They stand for open image and close image respectively. You want the location to sit between these tags. You can type them yourself. There should be no extra spaces between the tags. An example of what it would look like is below

[IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/scottxgtr/8261de2f.jpg[/IMG]

Click the preview button to make sure everything is working properly. Then submit if everything is working fine.

How to use the InfamousNissan Album

Every user has an Album to which he/she can add pictures

To find your gallery, go to your User CP...it's at the left in the top navigation bar. On the left side, you should see a link to Pictures and Albums

Now you are in your albums. If this is your first visit, you should see a link “Click here to add an album and start uploading pictures!” Click the link to create an album. Fill out the required info to continue. Now you should see a link “Click here to upload pictures!” Now you can hit Browse to find the pictures and upload them. Take note of the limits posted at the bottom of the screen. The album will automatically resize pics to meet these requirements if they are exceeded. Sometimes this works flawlessly, other times it makes your pics look horrible. Large pics will take a long time to process, as the server is not meant for this purpose. (please be considerate, dont slow down the forums because you cant resize you 200+ show pics) Editing large pics down before hand is the best way to keep the quality high, and the load time fast.

Editing down pictures at home:

Using Microsoft paint:
Open your image

Go to the toolbar and click image>attributes. This will display the size of the file in pixels as well as bytes. Your target is 800x600 or less and 488,000 bytes or less. You can use this window to change the picture size BUT you must do the math correctly to keep your picture in proportion.

An easier way is to go back to the toolbar, and click Image>stretch/skew. This will allow you to resize and keep the proper proportions. Depending on the size of your picture, you will have to reduce the percentage in size. You will enter the same number in both stretch boxes. Numbers less than 100% will shrink the photo, More than 100% will stretch the photo.

Take a good guess, click ok, then go back to the attributes box. Check to see if your are at/under 800x600px AND less than 488,000 bytes. You must meet both criteria to upload the pic into the Album. You may need to shrink it more until you meet BOTH criteria. Sometimes pictures will save at a slightly higher kb size so try and shoot for getting your picture to around 450,000 bytes in order to be safe.

Once you are done, save your picture, and then try to upload it.

Using adobe Photoshop (version 7.0 or higher)

First, open your image

Next, go to the toolbar and click Image> Image size. This will bring you to the image size window. Make sure you are set to pixels, and the constrain proportions box is checked. Enter the desired size into the width box (800px) and the height should automatically change. Make sure both are within the 800x600px requirement. Click OK

Now go to File>Save for Web. This should open a window with many options. Make sure that you are in the optimized tab. The tabs should be in the upper left hand corner. Your file size is displayed under the image on the left. On the right, we will be concerned with 2 boxes. The first being the format. Most commonly used is JPEG and that is what we want. The second box is Quality. It is on a 0-100 scale with 100 being the best quality and largest file size. Lower the quality until you are under the 488kb limit. Again, shoot for about 450kb since some files save larger than they state. Now click save.

Now try to upload it to you Album

Hopefully everyone can understand this process. Please practice in the test forum and not in this post. Pm me or any member of staff if you have further questions.

Lastly, this goes without saying, but abusing your gallery privileges will lead to these privileges being removed. Keep content legal and related to the site.
ScottXGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
lil_redd_again
Almost

Vehicle: 94 HB & a 01 Fronty & a 01 Pathy

How does one go about posting GIFs? I have a code but it doesnt work..

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000766429244
lil_redd_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
ScottXGTR
Retired Administraitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_redd_again View Post
How does one go about posting GIFs? I have a code but it doesnt work..
the same as posting a picture. put the [img] tags around the url and it should show up.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
lil_redd_again
Almost

Vehicle: 94 HB & a 01 Fronty & a 01 Pathy

Is there a way to get pics FROM my photobucket account back onto my system? I had to wipe my pc and all my pics and what not and now idk how to get pics from PB back onto my sht so I can put them in an album here. Or is there a way to link from PB to my album here? I couldnt figure it out, when I go to upload pics here, it wont allow me to right click and paste in the link. I think the pics have to be on my system..

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000766429244
lil_redd_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
ScottXGTR
Retired Administraitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_redd_again View Post
Is there a way to get pics FROM my photobucket account back onto my system? I had to wipe my pc and all my pics and what not and now idk how to get pics from PB back onto my sht so I can put them in an album here. Or is there a way to link from PB to my album here? I couldnt figure it out, when I go to upload pics here, it wont allow me to right click and paste in the link. I think the pics have to be on my system..
to get the pics back to your computer, you have to do it the old fashion way. right click, save as. hopefully you dont need them all.

and yes, to upload to our gallery, the pics need to be on your hard drive. you cannot link a url to upload.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
93hb2nv

Vehicle: 93 nissan hardbody

when i try 2 post pics from my comp 2 my gallery they show up very small how do i make em bigger
93hb2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
ScottXGTR
Retired Administraitor

click on the picture in your gallery to display it in full size. then use the code from the fullsize picture, and not the thumbnail sized pictured.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
sparkinframe
Canadian, eh.

Vehicle: 1992 Nissan Hardbody Kingcab

how do you make text direct you to a web page?

eg. Two popular hosting sites are www.photobucket.com or www.imageshack.us OR you can host them in your InfamousNissan Album. (How to use the InfamousNissan album system is also in listed below.)
Old 04-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
ScottXGTR
Retired Administraitor

url coding. if you type a full web address, it will automatically make it a link.

www.infamousnissan.com

if you want to give some one a link in a sentence then you have to use the proper url coding.
[url=www.website.com]words you want as the clicky part[/url]

for example, the sentence above is:
if you want to give some one a link [url=www.infamousnissan.com]in a sentence[/url]
Old 02-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
mymonkey562

Vehicle: 97 Nissan HB

Do I have a minimum amount of posts to add attachments in my posts?
mymonkey562 is offline   Reply With Quote