Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
RiffMonster

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Hardbody 2wd 2.4
Default Project Nissan has commenced

Alright guys. Got this truck a couple weeks ago. It's a black 1997 2wd 5spd. Got it with 160k and a couple tiny dings, and a painted frame and there's no rust anywhere on the truck. Paid $1200 cash. Truck did have a bullet hole in the windshield and the sliding middle piece of the back glass is missing. Had the front windshield replaced as soon as I got it. ($230 with new wipers)

Ordered 17x8 -12 Vision Wheels soft 8's from Summit Racing ($320)And some Achilles ATR sport 2's in 225/45r17 from Tires-easy.com ($270)

Did a couple other things. Installed some TurboSii LED headlights from Amazon ($50). They accidentally sent me a 4x6, so it was too small for the housing. Rather than send them back like a normal person. I fashioned a bracket, and put them behind the glass of my stock sealed beams. (Pics of that later). I'm totally surprised that they're this good for the price. Not a sharp cutoff, but I've got them aimed low enough they don't seem to blind anyone. I actually think the smaller headlight was beneficial in 2 ways 1) don't get notices as much by police or at vehicle inspection 2) I think any bigger or brighter and they may be too much. They recommended the install with the low beam row at the top. I flipped them upside down to try to keep them out of the eyes of oncoming traffic. They are super bright, super white, and they look good.

Now I'm planning on dropping the truck. Bought a 2.5 ton jack and some jack stands.
I've got about 6 inches from tire to fender in the back, and almost 4 in the front. I guess a 2/3 drop would put me at a pretty good functional height. I've read about 4 million threads on the subject. I'm thinking I need:

3" tapered block kit
Crank torsion

Anything else? I'm ok with a bit of a rough ride for now, til I can spend some more money on it, but I'm about spent out for a couple weeks. My wife is gonna have a stroke if I keep buying shit. Lol.
How important are the angled blocks?
Will I need low profile bump stops?
What about this?
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/pi..._djm/3355.aspx

Not even sure what that does, but I've read it's important. I've been reading this forum day and night, and I don't wanna mess up my truck, as it's my daily right now. I'm pretty much a car dumbass, but I have mechanical ability. I don't wanna get in over my head, but I want my truck lower.
Also, what tools will I need for a 97HB? Read something about a 19mm.
I just wanna be sure I got this right, have everything I need, and don't do any damage.

Thanks fellas.

Last edited by jp2code; 11-13-2017 at 11:42 AM.
RiffMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

was it a police auction or something?
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #3
RiffMonster

Lol. Not quite
Old 11-13-2017, 04:07 AM   #4
h.stickeye

i only ask because its helpful to know how it has been treated for the past 20 years.

1st thing check timing chain, has it been redone in the last 60K?

2nd: got any backlash?

3rd: check/replace as necessary your rear bushes and leafs before dropping.

4th: redo all radiator hoses.

5th: do a thorough check if heating system is holding up. Note how I say do this AFTER all your hoses.

That'll keep ya busy.

EXTRA: flush and replace brake fluid and transmission fluid.
Thanked by:
RiffMonster (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 04:27 AM   #5
RiffMonster

Mine is a 97. It has a timing chain, and it looks to be in good shape No rattles or strange noises at all. Runs very quiet. A/c works great.The bushings and leafs seem to be in good shape. To my untraimed eye, nothing looks excessively warn. I did notice that the lip on the front fender has been rolled, so it possibly has been lowered previously.
Not sure what backlash is?
The gauge isn't working on the temp sensor, it will move a tiny bit, but will never move past the 1st line at the bottom of the gauge. I figure it's the thermostat since the heat isn't getting hot, just warm. Ordered one yesterday.
All in all, it seems pretty solid. Drives like a champ. Plenty of power (for what it is, shifts and handles properly, but is a bit floaty or squishy. I just figured that's how these trucks rode
Old 11-13-2017, 04:33 AM   #6
RiffMonster

Gonna change tranny fluid tomorrow, but a flush kinda scares me...

Thanks for the info
Old 11-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
h.stickeye

temp not moving is classic no thermostat. Change all your upper and lower hoses at the same time and use the goopy grey stuff when changing the thermo gasket. Also get a good quality gasket, no paper. They can leak bad otherwise.

Backlash is when say you are cruising in 4th at around 45-50 MPH (excuse if im not exactly right im australian) on a flat surface and you take your foot off the throttle suddenly and you can feel the car pull back. Thats backlash and your diff will need some tolerances rejigged. It is also a sign your gears are a bit worn and will need some love in the future, usually 2nd and 4th are the stand outs in my opinion. Although most people refer to the third gear or fifth gear whine, Ive not found this to be a good inidicator in my opinion.

Can you tell if you still got rubber bushings or not in the rear?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 Long Bed 5spd 3.3L

I edited your first post so that the pictures would show up.

Use [img] tags between the links. The imgur.com website even gives those as link options.

Also, I used the Large size. Original and Huge both seemed too big, but you can edit those if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffMonster View Post
Alright guys. Got this truck a couple weeks ago. It's a black 1997 2wd 5spd. Got it with 160k and a couple tiny dings, and a painted frame and there's no rust anywhere on the truck. Paid $1200 cash.
That's a great price on a truck with low miles and no issues.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 PM   #9
RiffMonster

No backlash. No more than any other vehicle.

Thanks JP. Yeah, it was a steal, I thought.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #10
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan HB 2WD

I like this truck so far, but I think the tires stick out too far on the sides. That's okay, but don't beat the engine too much pushing those wheels and tires. Just some old-school advice. And brother...I am old school indeed on this stuff. It's a trade-off. The more you load, the more drag, the easier you have to treat your engine. It will require nice lubing and mother-like care. Flares around those tires might not look bad.

Sometimes right, sometimes outdated. Hopefully more right than outdated.

I still like it though. You know if you drop it...you won't be able to carry heavy loads camping, off-road, or cross RR tracks at any kind of speed, right? Why not jack that sucker up instead and take it into the Smoky Mountains? Now that's real fun with a Nissan. An added bonus would be those slightly oversize tires and wheels looking really good with your jacked-up truck sitting on top. (*insert evil laugh here*)

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 11-16-2017 at 09:35 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote