Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan HB 2WD
Default Advice? Minor Truck Problem and Should I Buy This 300ZX?

I have two quickie questions. First, my truck starts up fast and runs great. But after it warms up, the idle hunts up and down pretty severely and then it dies unless I rev the gas. On this one, I'm sending it to Auburn Foreign Auto (WA) on Monday morning. They are a good honest shop, with fair rates, excellent tools, and even better mechanics. Just saying. Known them for years. Even their waiting room is nice.

Truck runs great on the highway, plenty of zip and power. But I'm paying Auburn Foreign to diagnose the idle problem. And I will get my money's worth. I always do. If any of you have any ideas what this problem might be, it could help me deal better with the shop after their diagnosis.

Second question: Advice on whether I should buy the car below for $1,000:

It's a 1986 300ZX. Body and interior are clean. It starts and runs. 128K total miles. I've known the owner for years and we're not friends but he's honest. Original owner but not much of a mechanic at all.

T-tops, leather, factory upgrade stereo, body package, AC, courtesy lights, pretty much all options. Five speed. Good tires and wheels. You turn the key it starts and runs and sounds great. Running and clutch, brakes, and rear end gear all good. Needs a wax job. Until a few years ago, it was factory serviced.

But...after a few minutes of running, it DIES. And when it does, EVERYTHING goes. I mean exactly ZERO to anything electrical. Non, nothing, nada. A few minutes later it will restart just fine. My guess is there is an intermittent problem with the main relay. Absolutely zero works when it dies. No lights, no dome light, no dash lights, no starter motor, no fuel pump whine, I mean nothing electrical with a capital N.

He is the original owner. Took it to a non-Nissan shop, they couldn't figure it out. But when everything goes you have to start looking near the battery or the relays. If anything gets past that point at all, SOMETHING will work. This one is a ZERO works when it does that.

He wants a thousand, but might take less. Sure it starts and runs for a few, but I will have it towed. Do you think if I get this one for a thousand or less it would be worth it?

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 11-03-2017 at 09:35 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,089 Posts

The truck sounds like a vacuum leak. My truck did the same thing and the leak was between the intake manifold and the head. I was quite certain it was not a vacuum leak as I had checked several times with carb cleaner for a leak and never found one. Got some advice from a guy who used to get on here and he insisted it was gonna be a vacuum leak so I went over it again and checked around the injectors and every mating surface until I found it.

I'd get the car. Let the overall condition of the car determine the price. To me it sounds like an easy fix, but I'm an avionics guy so my view of an easy electrical problem is likely not the same as others.
alabama_lowlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
veesix

Vehicle: 1988 SE V6 KingCab

It sounds like a solid car for $800. Don't pass on this deal.
veesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21

Buy that 300. You should be able to track the electrical problem down. Could be something as simple as a wire grounding out or like you said a silly relay. If there's little or no rust and the interior is in good shape, that's a price you can't beat.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 1992 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Yeh, I'd do the Z car as well. Sounds like a loose ground somewhere or a relay that is getting to hot and popping. <<<Just guessing, don't jump my shit for this.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
street_rulerr

Vehicle: 1996 4x4 5spd

if YOU are good at hunting electrical gremlins, then the fairlady is worth it. if you take your cars to a shop more than 50% of the time, walk away. you can spend a fortune hunting electrical issues and never find the one frayed wire somewhere in the bundle causing an intermittent ground.

the truck sounds like vac leak and that when it goes into closed loop using the 02 sensor to regulate fuel its dieing due to wayyyyyy too much fuel. If you havent taken it to the shop yet, grab a can of electrical parts cleaner (less hars than carb cleaner) and spray it around the throttle body on the outside, intake manifold and then just liberally everywhere. if the idle changes for a sec, it means that you sealed the vac leak with the cleaner and it ran fine for a sec.

have you checked if your MAF is plugged in properly? i once left one not positively clicked in and the car ran wonky
street_rulerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 Long Bed 5spd 3.3L

There is a section in the EF&EC portion of the service manual for Hunting. Usually you look to the IAC valve and regulator.

1986 car: I'm tired of old shit. If you want to jack with it to keep it running, that's your business.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote