Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 09-29-2017, 03:52 PM   #21
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 Long Bed 5spd 3.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabi View Post
apparently you need to update it sorry -_- people were basically complaining at me because they were like I THOUGHT IT WAS A CHILD YOU HEARTLESS MONSTER..

Oh, that's just funny.
I fixed it, though.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #22
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan HB 2WD

Seeing that post back there about The Club, let me say this:

Most pro car thieves aren't looking for a stock 88 hardbody. I think the Club works better on older, stock vehicles. You put it on a 2016 Mercedes...well, big laugher I will agree.

I used to know a guy who owned a Jeep with a soft top. He also liked to do a lot of hiking and didn't have a car alarm. So...he would sometimes return to the Jeep and the top was cut open and the stereo removed. He finally started leaving the doors unlocked, but he put a kill switch hidden under the hood. Whatever works, I guess.

He told me: "The f%#!ng TOP costs a lot more than the damn stereo anyway...just f%#!ng take the stupid stereo then..."

On a serious note, I see people posting reports and pictures of their stolen car on Craigslist a lot. Sometimes that works because when someone steals a truck or car, sometimes they try to part it out a bit before getting rid of it. And you might get word that way. And you should WATCH the Car and Truck Parts listings at Craigslist (in Portland) anyway. Your truck might pop up in an ad. Then you can set up an appointment to buy something. While you also bring the cops with you.

Everyone thinks Washington is such a liberal state. I guess it is, but the GUN laws are pretty lax. A guy out in Graham camped out in the garage on his car-fixup property. (Garages, no house) He did this because someone was coming and stealing junk motors and metal off his property. So...this truck pulls up a couple of nights later.

Girlfriend is in the passenger seat. Boyfriend gets out, starts loading up stuff right there. Guy opens the garage door and just SHOOTS him dead. Girlfriend is screaming her head off. Cops come. They don't like it, but when the prosecutor got the report, it was no charges filed all the way. You can shoot someone in WA to protect your property. Well, sort of. They've had a few cases where people blew away someone on their property trying to steal something and nothing really happened to the person who did the shooting. There's no real cut and dried thing here about that, although the prosecutors tend to give the property owner the benefit of the doubt.

If this ever happens to you, the best thing you can tell the cops is that you thought the guy started to reach for a gun. And it's best to yell something to them before you start blasting away. See what they do. You can actually put them on a citizen's arrest here, and pretty easy. Prosecutors like that even better.

One of my favorite protect-the-property stories happened many years ago up in North Seattle. Guy breaks into an old lady's house. She lives alone, a widow. Her husband was a cop. She goes to the bedroom and locks the door. Guy comes to the door. Apparently, he knew her living situation.

"Oh, come on, lady. I'm not going to hurt you. Just open the door and give me the money out of your purse," he says.

No answer.

"Open up lady, or I'm gonna break down the....."

BAM!

This little old lady shoots him right through the door with her dead husband's old service revolver. It was sitting in a bedside drawer, a .38 that hadn't been shot in years. Caught the guy right in the chest. He stumbles outside, gets about half a block, and drops dead. That's insta-justice all the way in my book.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-06-2017 at 07:43 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #23
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

i have joined the stolen vehicle club. some dickfuck decided to steal my 88 camry wed morning between 3:30 and 6:45am. it was here when i left for work and gone when she got up to take the kid to school.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:01 AM   #24
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
i have joined the stolen vehicle club. some dickfuck decided to steal my 88 camry wed morning between 3:30 and 6:45am. it was here when i left for work and gone when she got up to take the kid to school.
An 88 Camry? This sounds like joyriders, or I need a ride type thief.

One reason why all this car thievery goes on is because of the wacked-out penalties. Walk into a bank with just a note and walk out with a bit of money. Get caught, you could get five, seven, maybe more years from the Feds.

Drive off in someone's brand-new Mercedes, and even if they catch you, and you have a history, the chances of doing any real jail time are much less.

It's total BS. I hope you get your car back.

Okay. You want to know what crazy stuff I've done to prevent my truck from being stolen? I'll go public here.

The lights are wired so that the stalk switch only turns on the front lights, the markers, brake lights, and turn signals. You have to do a second switch to enable the taillights and license plate lights. Don't ask. (Okay, I tapped into the grey-and-pink wire in the back to do it.)

I use a kill switch, and you'll never find it unless you're a Nissan Guy.

One fuseable link at my battery is a removable blade fuse, inline. Nicely hidden. People told me it wouldn't work. Been running it for more than a year, no problem. 30 amp. I haven't felt the need to remove it when parking, but it's nice to know it's there.

There is the Club, as much good as it does.

If you manage to steal the truck after all that, and I see it sitting somewhere, I will just access the magnetic keybox from a place outside the cab you'll never find it, open the door, and drive it home.

It's a frickin' shame I even have to THINK about doing these things today. I could start talking about security measures at the house, but I think I'll leave it at that. How did all this happen? DB Cooper nuts, who sometimes contact me and Gayla Prociv. Phone, email, snail mail, door knock (rarely). Most are harmless. Some are screwy as shit. We started taking precautions. She has a (slightly) modded '91 Honda Civic she loves to death. Ad for it: 'Runs Great, Needs Paint'.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 10-06-2017 at 11:16 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #25
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

i have started pulling the fuel pump relay or the fuse. takes 2 seconds either way. i guess i need to wire that to a hidden switch.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:51 AM   #26
XoXSciFiGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
i have started pulling the fuel pump relay or the fuse. takes 2 seconds either way. i guess i need to wire that to a hidden switch.
I guess the two 'big deals' if you're not going the Lojack route are the ability to make your truck so It Can't Be Driven Away Under Any Circumstances Short of a Tow Truck...

And make this method fairly convenient to use. The easiest way is to put the switch INSIDE the cab, not under the hood. That's because most people aren't going to want to use the switch if they have to crack their hood each time to do it.

Where you mount the switch is the toughest part of the whole operation. There are so many considerations. You don't want someone accidentally kicking it closed with their foot, so you can't put it low. If you go the underdash route, you have to be able to reach it without squatting on your knees outside your drivers' door and reaching up. On one old Datsun I put it under the glove box. But I don't know. It's a personal choice.

Car thieves should be hung out to dry, just like they used to do to horse theives.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 AM   #27
Longtooth

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1989

I would check out by the kelly point park area unless they took it up to browns camp and left it in the vegetation.
Probably one of the homeless junkies is living in it covered in a tarp.
Had a B210 stolen and found the next day in Fesident park mating with a tree years ago. Still pissed on that one.
Longtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #28
XoXSciFiGuy

I lived in Portland for one year, back in 1978 I think. Anyway, it was the winter of the Big Ice Storm, when power went down in Portland for more than a week and a quarter of the trees split and fell from the ice. You could go outside at night and watch the transformers on West Hill exploding once in a while. (Bring back any memories if you were there?)

Well...come spring and I worked at a place where I drove a specially-equipped Ford van that spray-washed semi-trucks. And...I stupidly left the key in it and it got stolen. Man, was my boss PISSED OFF. He said, 'Get that van back or you're fired.' I spent a whole week with a grid map of Portland searching up and down every street from NE Portland down to Gresham. (It was stolen from NE Portland.)

After four days of searching, I finally found it sitting in someone's driveway. When I walked up to the van to make sure, these bikers came out from the adjoining house and asked me what the f%$k I was doing prowling around the guy's house. Oh, crap.

So I tell them about the van. They say: "Buy us a case of Michelob and we'll get it for you." Turns out they didn't like the guy anyway. So like fifteen of them (with me following behind them) just forced their way into this guy's house and shove him down onto the couch. They got the keys from him. He was scared shitless, and didn't say a word. I never found out why he stole the van, but one of the bikers drove the van up to the nearest store and we parked it there. I bought them the beer, and then one of his buddies drove him home. Then I called my boss to bring someone to take the van back to the shop.

The hell with it. I moved back to Seattle a couple of months later anyway.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #29
Longtooth

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody 1989

I remember that. One year it was a snow storm and one year it was an ice storm. Fun as hell but then again I was in the single digits then.
Longtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #30
kenabi
That guy what does stuff.

Vehicle: 88 hardbody 4x4 v6

so, update;

found out where it is (roughly) but since i can't give anyone an actual address, the cops won't touch it (i know people in the uhm... shadows.. i guess you'd call it) seems the meth head that took it, sold it to another meth head who gave it to the jerks up this way that convert vehicles for the cartels to do drug running. last bit of info i could coax out of people had it half torn apart in the conversion garage and the plan was to turn it into a suped up desert runner for border crossing out in the eastern part of cali.

insurance wrote it off more or less, i've given up after many weeks of trying to get an address and failing to get more than wishy washy responses (i guess i can understand people not wanting to cross the cartels, its pretty much suicide, but still frustrating.)

so, anyone with a 4wd HB in the portland metro, you might want to make sure you have some flavor of kill switch or immobilizer that isn't easily bypassed. there's been a rash of them stolen lately, and i haven't heard of any in the last like, 6-7 months that have come back to the owners. seems this one place does a lot of conversions of older 4wds, because people don't look much at them when they're rollin down the road.

so i went and picked up a 2004 fronty with just under 81k on it. has some very minor issues, but ultimately they're easily fixed (some trim screws here and there, some flare rivets, stupid coil spring buffer is worn out on drivers, and the tires rub on the frame at full turn because huge).

i'm in the process of trying to find the best method of installing a kill method that doesn't involved removing bits every time i turn around.

gonna make it as hard as possible for them to take this one, including a boot. if i can find one that'll fit the tires on this beast.
kenabi is offline   Reply With Quote