Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #11
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast View Post
Ever thought about going into civilian contracting under the DOD? Most of my ex-mil buddies are civilian contractors now. The majority of them make a ton more money doing that as well.
my brother was appointed to a civil service position in july. its the same job he did while in the navy and the same job he did for a private contractor after he got out. he kept his nose to the stone and its finally paid off for him.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #12
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

Vehicle: 96 Nissan XE 2.4

Thing is for me I hated my job in the Army. I was awarded the MOS back in 02 upon graduation, and rarely did my job for 8 years. Not till I was in a chemical RECCE platoon, then as a Company NBC NCO. Even then, I still hated it. I trained a lot for the field and as a grunt and I absolutely loved it, but I'm not Infantry or Spec. Ops.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #13
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-meanie187 View Post
I was in a chemical RECCE platoon, then as a Company NBC NCO.
Just wonder, did the Army make you guys watch the nerve agent films videoed like in the 50's and the ending was..."the goat is dead"? I hope they got better detection stuff than when I was in, opening some package and busting glass filled tubes encased by plastic and waiting 20 minutes to find out your gas mask didn't protect you from the crap you ran into would have sucked.

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Scott Turchin

Vehicle: 96 Nissan Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-meanie187 View Post
If anyone of you served in the Army, then might understand where I'm coming from here.

Things have gotten way better with my son and his mother, and though I love the career I'm in, it doesn't exactly have the greatest of benefits, like when I was in the Army. Now for some weird reason, it's hit that soft mushy spot in my head and got me to thinkin' about going back to the Army for my kid and possibly his mother, if her and I ever did work things out.

I say the old Army, because the Army has changed A LOT since I got out in 2008. For some reason, me having a kid has changed my thought pattern to where I do miss the Army, to I should probably go back in to give my kid a good life. I just don't want him growing up all pissed off because dad wasn't home cause he was always deployed to war.

Truth is, although I miss the thought of combat, I prefer peace time more than anything. Being shot at, it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

I dunno, just thought I would throw this random thought out there.

I got out in 1990, the Army was already changing, but I hear from my nephews how it is today and I couldn't even FATHOM being in (I'm 52 now).

In 2001 I was going to go back in and I threw the idea to my 8 year old daughter and she was like "NO!!!! I would miss you" - nuff said.

You got a family now, that's your priority. Go back to school - find the money and do it. I did. I had no certifications due to working and working so I went back to school, found a few bennies and spent some of my own cash.
Got a degree in cybersecurity, got my CISSP (This was my career path and I had 15-20 years doing it) - and with those certifications came the paycheck...

Family first man.
Scott Turchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Turchin View Post
Got a degree in cybersecurity, got my CISSP (This was my career path and I had 15-20 years doing it) - and with those certifications came the paycheck...

Family first man.
My daughter swore into the Air National Guard last week. Her AFSC will be cyber transport. A co-worker of mine is in the same guard unit and will be her boss. Both he and the recruiter say that with the TS clearance and the certifications she'll have to get that her civilian options will be pretty good. I'm guessing this will be similar to what you do?
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:03 AM   #16
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

Vehicle: 96 Nissan XE 2.4

I've done some thinking over and over with it. If it wasn't for my son and her, the idea wouldn't even be rolling around in my head. First and foremost, I have to deal with a another legal charge and get that out of my way.

Biggest thing for me is being able to take care of my son and his mother without having to leave again. I made it clear, if I did leave again, I want her married to me so we can leave with our son together. If I did go back active and we did end up married, the state has no authority over federal marching orders, when it comes to being PCS
d