Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 04:42 AM   #1
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

Vehicle: 96 Nissan XE 2.4
Default The old Army

If anyone of you served in the Army, then might understand where I'm coming from here.

Things have gotten way better with my son and his mother, and though I love the career I'm in, it doesn't exactly have the greatest of benefits, like when I was in the Army. Now for some weird reason, it's hit that soft mushy spot in my head and got me to thinkin' about going back to the Army for my kid and possibly his mother, if her and I ever did work things out.

I say the old Army, because the Army has changed A LOT since I got out in 2008. For some reason, me having a kid has changed my thought pattern to where I do miss the Army, to I should probably go back in to give my kid a good life. I just don't want him growing up all pissed off because dad wasn't home cause he was always deployed to war.

Truth is, although I miss the thought of combat, I prefer peace time more than anything. Being shot at, it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

I dunno, just thought I would throw this random thought out there.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:01 AM   #2
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan HB 2WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-meanie187 View Post
If anyone of you served in the Army, then might understand where I'm coming from here.

Things have gotten way better with my son and his mother, and though I love the career I'm in, it doesn't exactly have the greatest of benefits, like when I was in the Army. Now for some weird reason, it's hit that soft mushy spot in my head and got me to thinkin' about going back to the Army for my kid and possibly his mother, if her and I ever did work things out.

I say the old Army, because the Army has changed A LOT since I got out in 2008. For some reason, me having a kid has changed my thought pattern to where I do miss the Army, to I should probably go back in to give my kid a good life. I just don't want him growing up all pissed off because dad wasn't home cause he was always deployed to war.

Truth is, although I miss the thought of combat, I prefer peace time more than anything. Being shot at, it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

I dunno, just thought I would throw this random thought out there.
I don't want to discuss my Army experience publicly, (you could PM if you want) but I know exactly what you mean. This happens to a lot of vets. They start having romantic notions about re-enlisting. I WILL tell you when I got out...1978. (Has it REALLY been that long? Damn, I must be OLD or something.) No, I wasn't in Vietnam, just Missouri. But I know what you mean. And I was not a draftee. I joined up the month after Saigon fell. I had always wanted to join, but the idea of going to Vietnam didn't appeal to me. My parents were big-time against the war, and once offered to help me go to Canada if I were drafted. I would have declined that offer, of course. But my draft number never came up, so I was lucky.

You could go back. They would probably take you. Maybe you could get a better deal from the recruiter this time. Like an MOS that would preclude you from serving on the front line in Afghanistan, and serve you well in civilian life after you got out.

And if you think the Army has changed since 2008, I could tell you some stories that would make you laugh about WAY Way Back Then.

The first time I saw the movie Stripes, I actually thought there were a few shreds of truth in it here and there. Without the cute dance number at graduation, of course. Post-Vietnam Low Morale, mass drinking and using of drugs, nobody cared much what you did as long as you showed up for formation, etc. Who knows? Maybe it's the same today, but I don't think it is.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 09-25-2017 at 05:12 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,089 Posts

Maybe you could join the Air Force instead?
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Maybe you could join the Air Force instead?

I grew up Air Force, with one parent retiring enlisted and my step parent retiring as an officer. The Air Force only takes prior service in the commission status or in special operations. Most guys in special ops that are my age are pretty well beat up, and heavily experienced as well.

A local friend of mine recommended I try reserves, but the reserve and active component fall under the same federal guidelines. I would possibly do it, for my son and his mother. If I didn't have them in my life, then forget it. The way I look at it, I served my country honorably and faithfully and I got out after 3 tours to Iraq.

I don't really feel I have to prove myself to anyone, knowing what I've been through personally and what I've experienced, but to take care of my son and his mother, if we ever were to get married, I would put the uniform on again. At least I know it would be good for retirement, but chances are I would take an MOS like MP, and avoid an MOS like 11B although the pain loving retard in me would go for grunt status just to get a blue cord and CIB.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21

Ever thought about going into civilian contracting under the DOD? Most of my ex-mil buddies are civilian contractors now. The majority of them make a ton more money doing that as well.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

I wouldn't even know where to begin as a civilian contractor..
Old 09-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #7
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

I didn't make the service (Vietnam) due to my knee, I do want to say Thank all of you for your service, (from the heart)
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 PM   #8
OldGreyBeast
1986.5 HB 4x4 3.0V6

Vehicle: 1986.5 Nissan D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-meanie187 View Post
I wouldn't even know where to begin as a civilian contractor..
Most of my buddies do the same thing they did in the Army, just for contracting companies. IT, mechanic/aircraft repairs, engineering, etc.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #9
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab

If its anything like my experiences in the past 20 years, every branch of service has changed a lot. When I first joined physical punishment was usually the first thing that happened, I am talking making a sweat puddle and not actual beatings though it happened. It was just "outlawed" when I signed up. If I didn't do what I was told or screwed up after being trained what to do I got to take a spin like the wheel of fortune. One wheel had what exercise I got and the next wheel got how many I had to do before the day was over. 500 jumping jacks, side straddle hops for Uncle Sams Misguided Children, can wear you out. 500 was the most I ever got but unfortunately it was 8 count body builders. What ever amount you did not complete before the day was done is doubled for the next day.

Now you can't do this, everything is paperwork. I tell someone to do something and they blow me off, fine let me ruin their career instead of actually train someone. I feel its kinda like spankings, you remember physical pain but a piece of paper means nothing to you until its too late. Now I feel its more like a revolving door, one person in the armed services, one person out. Don't feel bad about the Air Force, they wouldn't take me either, lol.

I am glad I served, taught me a lot an gave me something useful in the outside world. I just don't believe it helps as many people as it used to. I can't think of a good way to say this but in my opinion as a whole we would not be able to handle most events that occurred in WWII.

Back on topic though, for any government job a place to start is USA jobs. My agency has to post any vacancy up for bid there. I will say that half the time a person has been pre-selected and its just a formality but if your qualifications are better they have to have a reason not to hire you. You can also ask why you did not get the job, of course I did this 2 years ago and still never got a response but have not held my upper management to this (after finding out what the job covered doubt I would want it except for the pay raise). You should get a veterans preference on getting hired for any government job that is hiring "off the street". If your a disabled vet you really should get a preference.

For a contracting "gig" look at what your occupation was while you were in and see if there is anything similar. Example might be as an MP or a grunt you might be able to get a security job for a government facility.

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!

Last edited by scoobysmak; 09-25-2017 at 10:58 PM.
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:06 AM   #10
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

Well Scooby, back when I originally enlisted that "hazing" as it's called now was just called getting smoked. You got smoked for some times simple, things or depending how much of a screw up you were, down right heinous things.

Now the Army doesn't allow these sessions otherwise known as corrective training through physical fitness, it's all about paperwork on the joes. Back when I was in, your Sgt. knew what you lacked in your PT and every time you messed up, you did any exercise related to what you lacked on your PT test. That way, next time you had your PT test, you could easily pass it.

These days, these pukes couldn't handle PT that I came up in. Running with your combat gear, rifle and pack.. hell we did that just for fun, and to train for war. The drills we had brought on stress and yelling, because in combat, it's stressful and there is no such thing as a time out when you're overwhelmed.

I saw some great leaders I know personally leave the Army because of the major shift it took while I was still in. Sadly, that shift showed its ugly head when I came back from my 3rd tour when I started meeting fat bodies who couldn't even pass the initial PT getting to the new unit. I knew then, the Army made a terrible mistake and those of us older Vets were going to pay the price.