Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 11:40 PM   #1
cj1979

Vehicle: Nissan Hard Body 1997
Default Hard Body camper top

Looking for topper what works or out there 97 ext short bed
cj1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #2
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,089 Posts

Have you checked on Craigslist or Facebook? What style are you wanting?
alabama_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I got a blue one I don't use. If you were on this side of the mountain I'd say to come by and take a look.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:42 AM   #4
Hands On

Vehicle: A Hardbody

Just got this one that was previously on an '04 Frontier. It's a touch wide, but it's good enough for me til I get the non-window shell that I really want. Really opens up your options and won't have to remove your CHMSL. Later shells also have the possibility of a sliding front window rather than the rubber boot that will eventually rub off the paint around the rear window.

Last edited by Hands On; 09-23-2017 at 01:50 AM.
Hands On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:58 AM   #5
highest_vision

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody

Hands On, would you mind posting more pictures from different angles of your cap/truck interface? If I found out that a Frontier cap would suit my needs and not look awful (that pic looks good!) I'd be all over it.

For what it is worth, I have a cap from a regular cab hardbody and I was able to make it work. It stayed mostly dry thru Irma when it came thru here as a tropical storm, and I lived in it for 2.5 months solid over the summer and never got wet. Only moisture from Irma was thru the back door, that faced the prevailing wind, and I had to mod the door/tailgate area. Just light spray. Previously, I had a 1998-2004 Tacoma regular cab shell and it worked ok, also, but then you have to remove the third brake light.
Several 2 wheeled things
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:32 AM   #6
Hands On

Sure, no prob. Anything in particular you want to see? And thanks!

I saw an image of a reg cab at the junkyard with a perfect fitting windowless shell, but looked like a little overhang. Figured it was for a KC so I rushed down there and they didn't remove their CHMSL so it hung off a little. Passed on it, but I guess it coulda worked.

Here are a few links for camper compatibility also, but there is contradicting info in there.

http://www.truckaddons.com/tonneau-b...nts-guide.html

http://www.truckinamerica.com/toppers/BedSize.htm
Thanked by:
highest_vision (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 03:48 AM   #7
highest_vision

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody

Thanks for the links! There is a lot of contradicting info. From here, the word is that all king cabs have the same bed size. Regular cabs could have a long bed, or they could have the regular. I guess it makes it easier for me!

I feel like I am hijacking, but maybe this will help the OP. Mainly I want a shell to interface with the cab uniformly, seal to the bed well, and fit to the tailgate appropriately. If your pics of your shell indicate that, externally, they shell is relatively aerodynamic, and that it interfaces with the bed and tailgate in a manner that will render it mostly weathertight, I would be happy. What does the top of the shell/cab look like? Where the lid shuts at the tailgate? How far over the sides when you say it is a bit wide?
Several 2 wheeled things
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:40 AM   #8
Hands On

A bit wide here means about 5-7mm overhang on either side with it centered. The length is perfect as is the angle matching the cab. The height is pretty much exact. Personally, I'd prefer it to be a little lower than the cab because the cab slopes down a little bit at the back. I'm not sure if any of this is within design variances and another make, model shell might be completely spot-on in some dimensions and slightly off in others. On the inside there is an inch or so overhang. The bed rails are wide on the '04, but the earlier Frontiers are close to or same as the Hardbody, so that would be preferred if you have the choice when searching. Luckily the seller had the clamps because mine wouldn't have worked.

As far condition and color, TBH that is a flattering photo. There is some peeling clear coat and the color seems to change by lighting and viewing angle. I think the clear yellowed slightly on the driver side so it matches the platinum '97 color. The later silver is more bluish. But that's fine. It was cheap, the seller was extremely nice and close to a shell shop so I could sell the ill-fitting S-10 shell I had (bought cheap, broke even), and the odds of finding the exact color in excellent condition for a King Cab is almost literally like hitting the lotto, so pretty much anything would need paint anyway.

I know that none of that last paragraph is relevant to your question.

Anyway I'll get some photos for you soon, tomorrow if I can. I think you'd be satisfied with it given the scarcity of the correct shell, and the sliding window was a big plus for me.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #9
Gordo78
I'm The Juggernaut B&#@^!

Vehicle: 91 HB

I had a hard topper from an early 90's Tacoma on my Hardbody for a while. Width was spot on, but it was a smidge too long (maybe an inch tops). Enough for me to want to get my topper, which was built for a Nissan.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #10
Hands On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo78 View Post
I had a hard topper from an early 90's Tacoma on my Hardbody for a while. Width was spot on, but it was a smidge too long (maybe an inch tops). Enough for me to want to get my topper, which was built for a Nissan.
How did it fit against the cab? Length sounds perfect for KC.

Shot some pics of the shell. I measured the overhang and it's about 1cm, so about an inch too wide total. Not bad IMO, and obviously looks better not super up close like the photos. My bed is slightly higher than the cab judging from the misaligned crease. From rear angles it actually looks like a perfect fit, but unfortunately didn't take a pic when the sun was out.

If anyone's curious it's an Astro, which as a native Houstonian, is a comforting name.