Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Interior & Audio/Video

Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
LaCroix

Vehicle: 96 hardbody
Default 96 vent defrost mode control lever

the mode control lever is stuck on vent...it won't budge...i removed the glove box and center face panel, radio, etc

i can see all the levers working except the one to move from vent to defrost...i can see it, feel it or hear it...i couldn't figure out how to get the entire control panel out and i'm not sure i want to

i went through the service manual hoping to find a diagram so i know what i'm looking for but couldn't find the cable routing

any help i can get will be appreciated...winters around the corner and i'd like to have my heater and defrost working hi and low

LaCroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

you should have 2.. maybe 3 screws holding the control head in, slide it out and see if the clip that holds the cable popped off..
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #3
LaCroix

i assume the control head is the part behind the face panel, with the attached cables...i can't get it out...it looks like i'd have to disconnect all of the cables and some electrical to get it out and i don't know where the cable i'm trying to fix ends or what it's attached to...
Old 08-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
YEPEE

Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V

you should be able to slide it out enough to see the cable connections, did you take off the trim panel? (the whole big center panel, goes around the vents, havc, radio)
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
LaCroix

i removed everything, including "the whole big center panel, goes around the vents, havc, radio"...pulled the control panel out as far as possible...can only barely see where cable comes out of control panel but can't see where it goes

where is the other end of that particular cable...what's it connected to ?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 AM   #6
highest_vision

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody

It rotates a big white thing and some other stuff near the throttle pedal. Depending on the state of your neck and shoulders, you may be able to work the lever back and forth and look down there at the same time and see what it is trying to move. Next, try to rotate that whitish piece. It may not be easy. Basically, if the part that is about 6" to the right of the throttle pedal can be moved by hand and you can hear the position door move/slam around in the HVAC case, you have a cable issue.

I have a buddy who has that exact cable bent right at the attachment point at the controls. Hopefully your came loose. You could also have a lighter or something somehow stuck inside the mechanism.
Several 2 wheeled things
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:55 AM   #7
d21trav

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan D21

Does anybody know where I can buy a new one of those vent selector cables? Mine got cut somehow and I haven't had any luck in finding a new one.
d21trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

you might be able to find one in a junk yard. that isnt a normal item that people need. it shouldnt matter what model truck you find. as far as i know all the control cables and system basics stayed the same after the dash was redesigned.