Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Interior & Audio/Video

Old 08-29-2017, 11:51 PM   #11
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

i think the mirror had two options. that is why the maplight assemblies had the two different plastic pieces. one for the roof mounted mirror, and the one the OP has is for the window mounted one.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:03 AM   #12
Tropicalcats

Vehicle: 1995 Nissan King Cab XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaGary View Post
Remove the cover plate in the bottom middle and you may see the screw holes. I had to cut some of the headliner away to totally access them, then it was screw it in and add the trim plate from the other unit. (I might have had to pull the while map light down, it is held in with a couple of spring clips.)

I can send pics if needed.
Pictures always help. I sent a PM to you with email unless you can post the up here.

This what my mount looks like
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0062.jpg (91.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 02:46 AM   #13
PoppaGary

Vehicle: 1997 D21 KC XE 2WD
Default Changing Mirror from Ceiling to Roof Mount

Hi all, sent some pictures to Tropicalcats as requested, but thought I would put a couple in here for the next guys that were searching for assistance. (I hope I did this correctly, the process was a little clunky for me.)

One shows the trim plate removed; the other has everything removed and the headliner cut back to reveal the other two mounting holes.

I originally bought the entire map light before I discovered I only had to change the cover plate at the front bottom.
At first I did not see the mounting screw holes, then noticed one and discovered the other two hiding under the headliner.

And regarding the safety factor, I was a little concerned but also like heck with it if I get impaled even with my seat belt and air bag must be my time.
I found out that the mount is two pieces, the screws only hold the bottom section on and the big screw in the center holding both pieces together is held in by a spring so it will pop off if impacted by your noggin or probably your old lady's since she hates wearing the belt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D21 Mirror.jpg (41.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg D21 Mirror mount.jpg (74.8 KB, 10 views)
PoppaGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:52 AM   #14
PoppaGary

Vehicle: 1997 D21 KC XE 2WD
Default Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalcats View Post
Pictures always help. I sent a PM to you with email unless you can post the up here.

This what my mount looks like
Well that is a twist! I thought you had a factory roof mounted mirror from another D21 or Pathy (I think some had that style), my inner support tech should have kicked in before we went down this path, no biggie. LOL
That one can only be mounted on the windshield using that metal "button" that is glued on. Mine is stock and screws to the inside of the roof.
PoppaGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
Tropicalcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaGary View Post
Well that is a twist! I thought you had a factory roof mounted mirror from another D21 or Pathy (I think some had that style), my inner support tech should have kicked in before we went down this path, no biggie. LOL
That one can only be mounted on the windshield using that metal "button" that is glued on. Mine is stock and screws to the inside of the roof.
So I guess they came both ways roof mounted and windshield mounted. I would have preferred the roof mounted but since I have the windshield mounted version I guess I'll just stick with that. So I assume I can buy the adhesive at any auto parts store. Any suggestions on brand that holds better than others?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #16
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody

Truck at the junkyard, a 95 I believe, had the map light and the mirror mounted onto the glass, pulled the map light down and the 3 holes for the mirror were there.

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:38 AM   #17
Green-meanie187
The Rakkasan

Vehicle: 96 Nissan XE 2.4

My 96 has the rear view mounted to the wind shield. Let me tell you, once that thing fell off, I have tried every single method possible to get it back on. Then I found a very simple easy method that works and so far, it's holding just find.

Simple items you'll need, and most of this you have at the house.
-rubbing alcohol
-clean dry rags, towels, microfiber
- latex gloves (disposable or non)
- razor blade
- sand paper (80 grit works fine)
- mirror adhesive kit

1. Put on the latex gloves. The natural oils in your skin will just completely ruin everything you try. Automotive style gloves remove that variable, giving you a clean, dry surface

2. Use the razor to clean the old glue from the windshield and the mirror button. Make sure to remove ALL old adhesive, or it won't work.

3. Use the sand paper on the mirror button. Think about this, you're hanging an object from your windshield, and maybe some other crap from the mirror. That button needs to be scuffed up so the glue has something to grab on to when applied.

4. Take the clean rags and put alcohol on them and use it to clean the button and your windshield. The best mix I found was alcohol and water. Yes it smells terrible, but it cleans very well and gets the job done.

5. Take the towel from the adhesive kit, comes in a little blue thingy, open it up and apply the towel, with your gloves on to the windshield, cleaning the same area you just clean with the alcohol. Allow that area to dry thoroughly.

6. Take the mirror button, and the clear pack of glue, and apply a decent sized drop of glue in the middle of the button.

7. Apply the button to the area of your windshield that you've clean twice, and hold it firmly for at least 30 seconds. Give yourself at least a minute of hold it. You'll feel the adhesive and the button grab the windshield as the glue begins to set.

After the time has expired, pack it up for the time being and let it sit. The glue works best after it's had time to cure, much like RTV. I did this at night, with the temperature just under 75 deg. And yes the temperature makes a huge difference. Let the button sit for a day or 2, to make sure it's perfectly dry and then try mounting the mirror again.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:04 PM   #18
Tropicalcats

That is a perfect explanation on how to mount a rearview mirror on the windshield. I know not all windshield adhesive come with a rag or for that matter in a kit. Some are just the adhesive and activator. But I think the step by step is fantastic.
That should be a sticky. LOL