Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Interior & Audio/Video

Old 05-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
mrclortho

Vehicle: 1996 Nissan Pickup
Default Leaking Into Passenger Floor - Fix on a '96

As I work though Mr. Wenis' quirks, a '96 hardbody, and fixing them, I noticed the floor was wet on the passenger side after it rained. It was seeping out of the A/C box under the dash. Here is the problem and the fix.

1. Open beer of choice. Remove the windshield wiper arms by popping out the base covers, removing the 10mm nuts and working the arms loose.

2. Remove the cowl frame (metal piece that runs the width of the truck) by removing four Phillips screws and 'popping' it out. You will have to open the hood.

3. Remove the fan inlet duct shield on the passenger side under the cowl piece you took off. It deflects water from getting into the fan intake and is held on by four Phillips screws. IT is about 4" wide by 10" long and plastic.

4. Discover copious amounts of leaves and debris that have packed under the cowl cover and all the way to the top of the fan intake that is located on the passenger side. It is the large open tube and you can see the fan's blades down inside. The debris was getting wet, not draining and water was getting into the fan box. I stuck a high pressure water hose in there and washed out the gunk. It drains on both sides into the inside of the fenders, which were also completely full of debris. Clean everything out so the cowl can drain properly. Re-assembly everything.

5. Inside the truck, remove the fan from under the dash on the passenger side (three Phillips screws, disconnect the wires and the breather tube). Clean out the fan and the box.

6. Reach into the hole the fan was in and towards the driver side. You will find another chamber of the box that has a channel in it and a drain tube going through the fire wall. Clean out the handfuls of debris in there that is keeping the system from draining properly outside the truck instead of onto your passenger's feet. Once clean, stick the nozzle of your air compressor gun into the drain and blow it out. Observe is disbelief for several minutes and the system drains and drains. I then crawled under the truck and stuck the air gun into the drain tube from the outside (located on the firewall about half way down on the passenger side) and blew it out.

7. Open celebratory 2nd beer as you re-assemble and pay homage to the ancient Japanese engineers that made this all so easy. Glance at your old Jeep with the same problem that you know will take an entire weekend of pulling it apart to fix in contempt and disgust.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
kellybig

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 King Cab V6 4x4 SE

Glad you got Mr Wenis flushed out.
kellybig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:24 AM   #3
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

you forgot step 8.............remove the cowl vents that allow that shit to fall down inside the evap box and put some nylon door screen under them like i did. that problem will never happen again.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

The wiper blade retainer nuts are 12mm not 10.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
mrclortho

Vehicle: 1996 Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
you forgot step 8.............remove the cowl vents that allow that shit to fall down inside the evap box and put some nylon door screen under them like i did. that problem will never happen again.
Good idea. I forgot that step because they were never there on my truck. I plan on picking up a set and will add the screen as you suggested.

And also right, 12mm on those wiper nuts.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
wingnut510

Vehicle: 95 Nissan D21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclortho View Post
7. Open celebratory 2nd beer as you re-assemble and pay homage to the ancient Japanese engineers that made this all so easy.
Ha Ha Ha, only two beers? I would have added a couple more contemplative beers in there, just for good measure.

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, just curious if you checked the drains on the cowl itself, they are in the far corners and dump into the rear of the front fenders, IIRC.

Peace, Wolf
wingnut510 is offline   Reply With Quote