Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #11
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ 97 HB View Post
1980 Buick LeSabre.
GM decided that they would transition from all standard nuts and bolts to some standard and some metric - all on the same car. So 3 out of 4 might be standard and then number 4 is metric which may cause you to end up hurting your hand when the standard wrench slips off. For an added bonus you might also round the head off.
When my folks asked me what I wanted for X-Mas I told them the names and addresses of who designed my car.
Hahaha been there done that. One of my first big jobs I cut my teeth on was to replace the engine in a 92 Ford Econoline van. I swear they used one of everything to put that thing together. It's almost like they do it just so the tool manufacturers are justified in producing sockets and wrenches in every size imaginable. At least our trucks aren't like that. I have only found one oddball size so far - 26mm for the spindle nuts on 2wd models.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
Syoerger

Vehicle: 1989

Not to mention: different threads on the body bolts/ with sae for the fixed nuts. Idiots!
Syoerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
Syoerger

Vehicle: 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
Forgot about the PCV valve on these. I replaced mine when I did my timing chain and had it all torn down anyways. One of the reasons I love cheap tools is I can cut and bend them as needed to get a job done without any remorse.

Looks like we're already seeing a disproportionate number of fords on here. Shame since the heater core is a breeze on the really old ones (under the hood instead of under the dash). Just kidding I hate working on Fords man.
And Ford is the worst on wavy/ badly stamped NEW sheetmetal- absolutely horrible. We get a new fender, and it needs 3 hrs straightening- till we look at the other side and see that it is just factory.
Syoerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 AM   #14
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

A couple more:

V-twin motorcycle engines with 4 timing chains and a DOHC setup.

Chevy S10/Blazer 4.3 #3 spark plug. The steering shaft runs right in front of it and I had to cut down a spark plug socket and use a wrench on the hex part to get the sucker.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:44 AM   #15
highest_vision

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody

I worked for a fleet that had an International 1750B with a 9.0 diesel. It had, I think, eight v belts. The air compressor was driven by v belts. The engine oil drain plug was too low for regular drain pans, so it had to be jacked up just to drop the oil, but the front axle was really low too, so it ended up being ridiculously high.

It was an hours-serviced truck and it seemed like it was in the shop constantly.
Several 2 wheeled things
highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:30 AM   #16
UtahUtes
UtahUtes

Vehicle: 1987 D21

1998 Ford Expedition - the radiator in my ex-GF's cracked so I offered to change it in her driveway. Eight hours later I finally had it back in. Lower hose was impossible to remove from the radiator and the other end almost impossible to get free from the block. That thing was the biggest PITA to work on. I have never worked on anything that was that greasy. You would think with all the grease the fasteners would not all be frozen but h*&% no. It does not help that I really do care for Fords to start with. When she told me it kept blowing spark plugs out I pretended not to hear her. I told her to put it on CL for $200 or scrap it.

Polaris 4-wheeler - d*$m thing was a money pit and refused to run for more than a few days at time. Not that it was hard to work on it was just that I was always working on it. Finally dumped it for $500 and told the guy I never wanted to hear about it or see it again. I even parked it at the bottom of my lot with the key in it hoping someone would steal it. I will never own another 4-wheeler regardless of the make.
2002 Acura RSX type S, K20, 6-spd manual
1993 Chevrolet K3500, Single Cab, 454 BBC, 4L80E
1987 Nissan D21, Extended Cab, 2.4l, 5-spd manual
UtahUtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:49 AM   #17
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 1992 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Worst vehicle I have ever worked on? 2002 Mazda Millenia. Over engineered and impossible to work on. You can't even change out a parking lamp without removing the entire front clip. Stupid car, don't miss it.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 AM   #18
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

2001 Ford escape 4wd. Want to fix a leaky oil pan gasket or re-solder some chewed up wires? Good luck.

Keep em coming.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:31 AM   #19
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahUtes View Post
1998 Ford Expedition - the radiator in my ex-GF's cracked so I offered to change it in her driveway. Eight hours later I finally had it back in. Lower hose was impossible to remove from the radiator and the other end almost impossible to get free from the block. That thing was the biggest PITA to work on. I have never worked on anything that was that greasy. You would think with all the grease the fasteners would not all be frozen but h*&% no. It does not help that I really do care for Fords to start with. When she told me it kept blowing spark plugs out I pretended not to hear her. I told her to put it on CL for $200 or scrap it.
Try changing the heater core lol. Those motors are known for blowing out spark plugs or having them crack when you try to remove them. Also the exhaust manifold studs like to crack off. FWIW I think ford makes a better rig than GM or Mopar does but man they suck when something breaks. If I ever find myself in need of a full-size truck I would probably get the Chevy just because they're easier to work on. I would love to own an e-series van one day though. My work has 3 of them and I have worked on all of them at least twice. Personally I think those are easier than the trucks or SUVs for two reasons:

1. The doghouse. I don't even know how you'd get to the back of the engine in one of their trucks without cutting the firewall out.

2. Up until the transit connect was introduced, the vans stayed pretty much the same from from the 1992 redesign until their discontinuation, with the only real difference being the modular engines in 1997+ models. The vans are a lot more basic and don't have all the bells and whistles the trucks have, so less stuff to break.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:09 AM   #20
mytmouz

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan Hardbody

Luckily most of you are too young to have worked on a Chevette. Changing the starter on one is a PITA on the stock 4 banger. The big block one I built was much easier...
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote