Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 01-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #11
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,089 Posts

I read somewhere that the vg30 cams offer better performance, did you look into that? Also, could you have used the VG30 accessories instead of the Xterra parts?
alabama_lowlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
fbccars924
I did what???

Vehicle: 92 Nissan D21 SE V6 5spd KH3, 92 D21 Base KH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
I read somewhere that the vg30 cams offer better performance, did you look into that? Also, could you have used the VG30 accessories instead of the Xterra parts?
The Cams are a bit better but for my pocket book and future plans it wasn't worth swapping the cams out. I eventually want to get euro cams or possibly get the D21 cams reground, and as this is my daily I'd like to keep down time minimal. They do drop right in as do the Z31(T). The Heads from the VG33 are a better casting over the D21 and older VG heads.

Now, the Accessories. The single largest issue with the accesorries is that the D21 crank snout is smaller so the Balancer will not fit and so far as I know the only way around this is to use the VG30 Crank and either (A) a VG30 Oil pump, which leaves the filter on the side of the block or (B) an early quest pump which relocates the filter to right under the Alt. Also, doing the Xterra Accessory set makes the 120 amp Quest Alt. a bolt in affair.

Edit: I did figure out the oil pan/pickup tube situation, Unfortunately it does require modification but allows me to retain the VG30 oil pan. I'll try to get pics of what I'm doing later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Case View Post
mine's a complete shitheap, bought from a guy who hacked it, who bought it from a complete retard.
i put 3k on it with a horrible rod knock before it barfed up a tranny.
it's ugly, loud, uncomfortable and smelly, but i'll be damned if it's not reliable.
fbccars924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #13
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,089 Posts

Well, the VG33 oil filter location is an absolute MUST! That's one thing I absolutely love compared to the VG30.

Thanks for the explanation on the accessories. I was considering the possibility of just finding a long block for my dad's truck but obviously, we'll need to try to find a donor.
alabama_lowlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #14
fbccars924
I did what???

Yeah, I did figure out my oil pan pickup tube issue. It's not pretty and for that reason I'm not posting pics but I took and cut a couple inches out of the vg33 pickup tube and lopped a bunch of the baffling out of there. So it's ugly and not "the right way" to do it but at this point I need the truck running.

Quote:
mine's a complete shitheap, bought from a guy who hacked it, who bought it from a complete retard.
it's ugly, loud, uncomfortable and smelly, but i'll be damned if it's not reliable.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:29 PM   #15
fbccars924
I did what???

Edited oil pum/ pan section for 4x4 guys. Unfortunately for us 2wd owners the swap is not as easy for us.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2015, 02:00 AM   #16
fbccars924
I did what???

Ok, so I'm finally getting things fixed right and it requires minimal work to modify the pickup tube. I will be adding the what to do on my Build log and I'll quick link it here.

Quote:
Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 AM   #17
fbccars924
I did what???

Ok, so these are Stock photo's so these are not of my project, and this is my solution to the oil Pickup tube issue.

This is the VG30 D21 Pickup tube.

Here it is with the Pan.

Here is the VG33 Pathy pickup.

What I am doing is taking the Pathy Tube and cutting on the screen of the middle mount. Then I am cutting the D21 tube Just before and just after the smaller bend and flipping it 180* to make the tube (when viewed from above as if from the front of the motor) curve down and to the right(pass side) as opposed to down and to the left(DR. Side).

Make sense? I'll hopefully have pics soon. My Camera is still MIA

Quote:
Old 01-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #18
fbccars924
I did what???

So my fabricator friend decided to ignore me and just heated and bent my tube. which I'm not happy about bc there is a slight kink where the expanded metal didn't have a place to go. I am going to get one fab'd up in a better manner. So bending is not reccomended if the truck is being used for and high performance application.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2015, 01:30 AM   #19
fbccars924
I did what???

Ok so just a quick update. As I have described the swap has been finished and is running.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #20
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 Long Bed 5spd 3.3L

Take pictures of your setup.

You went back to TBI, right? i.e. no plenum fuel injection?
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote