Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Performance and Drifting

Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 AM   #1
Ryanlilly

Vehicle: D21, 1988
Default Z24 HP upgrades

Hello fellas, question for you all. I've got an 88 hardbody with the Z24i that I'm pulling the engine on and an 85 Z24 that I will be replacing it with after I freshen it up. This is my daily driver so I'm not trying to go crazy, just make it a bit more fun to drive.

My plan has been to run a single weber or dual weber side drafts. Use ka pistons to bring the compression up, possible mill and port the head, and run a aftermarket cam. I would go with a quality header if I could find one, I've heard the pacesetter does nothing. I don't want to swap it with a ka or anything else nor do I really want to do a L series head.

So my question would be am I on the right track or did I miss anything? How much difference are the dual webers over the single? Just trying to squeeze as much HP as possible without breaking the bank or sacrificing reliability.

Thanks guys!
Ryanlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:03 AM   #2
Stealthshot

Vehicle: 1988 Nissan D21 Hardbody

Cool, I've got the same thing, but I'm staying with the '88 engine. I'll be looking forward to seeing what answers you get.
I've been reading through all the past threads... there's a bunch to read on this forum!

Rusty's Resto-Modify Log: http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28586
Rusty's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005952885829

Stealthshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
fbccars924
I did what???

Vehicle: 92 Nissan D21 SE V6 5spd KH3, 92 D21 Base KH3

Do a weber conversion and so decent plugs and wires and that'll pep her up a touch. after that a new cam and some tweaking are about the most you can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Case View Post
mine's a complete shitheap, bought from a guy who hacked it, who bought it from a complete retard.
i put 3k on it with a horrible rod knock before it barfed up a tranny.
it's ugly, loud, uncomfortable and smelly, but i'll be damned if it's not reliable.
fbccars924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
KA24E

Vehicle: 1989 Nissan D21 Z24i

comp cam. pacetter headers 2.5 in exhaust all the way back and a tune = about 125hp
Old 10-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Check 4x4parts and Thorley for the header.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
86NissanV6
'86 Hardbody SE V6 4x4

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody 4X4 SE-V6 King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanlilly View Post
Hello fellas, question for you all. I've got an 88 hardbody with the Z24i that I'm pulling the engine on and an 85 Z24 that I will be replacing it with after I freshen it up. This is my daily driver so I'm not trying to go crazy, just make it a bit more fun to drive.

My plan has been to run a single weber or dual weber side drafts. Use ka pistons to bring the compression up, possible mill and port the head, and run a aftermarket cam. I would go with a quality header if I could find one, I've heard the pacesetter does nothing. I don't want to swap it with a ka or anything else nor do I really want to do a L series head.

So my question would be am I on the right track or did I miss anything? How much difference are the dual webers over the single? Just trying to squeeze as much HP as possible without breaking the bank or sacrificing reliability.

Thanks guys!
Pacesetter does actually do something, just not as much as you'd expect. It states a 10% increase, well if you have 120hp, then that's a whopping 12 hp! 132 hp now, and I think there has to be a 25 or 30 hp increase to notice it and feel it.

I'd actually invest in the Edelbrock TBi conversion unit for a chevy small block, because fuel injection is amazing, but you still keep it carb like. That'll get you some extra ponies.

Also, it's not too crazy, but if a turbo swap is alright for your daily, then go for it. A turbo goes great on those Z24 engines. It won't sacrifice reliability, and hell, it'll make you go faster than those riced out civics. You might even be able to haul something heavy. I'm not saying like, MASSIVE TURBO, I'm saying, like something smaller than a T3. Without an intercooler to provide response.

Make sure you DON'T polish and port the intake section. If you want to stay with a carb like system, the air and fuel need to swirl and mix before entering the engine.

Last, don't go too power crazy, make sure the internals can handle the extra power, as well as your clutch, trans, diff, and axles. I'd hate for you to have power, but then you're shelling out $500 for a new clutch or a couple thousand for a new trans.

Edit: If you want better power, I'd save your cash and instead buy a VG30. There's a 51hp increase right there. And there's loads you could do to it. (Bore it to a 3.4L and use the VH45 pistons, etc. Found here. )

'86.5 Nissan D21 SE-V6 4x4 Ext Cab
FS5R30A trans / HG43 axle / VG30i

Last edited by 86NissanV6; 10-21-2014 at 08:34 PM.
86NissanV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Ryanlilly

Vehicle: D21, 1988

Thanks for all the resposes!

Actually I decided on a blow through turbo kit. I used to build 2 stroke snowmobiles with blow through systems. So I'm fairly comfortable with them(although quite different). I found a guy out of Australia who is currently developing a kit for the Z24, he's about a month or so out with all the final details. This is his website for his Isuzu stuff, www.turbogemini.com. Hoping to get about 300-325 hp on a fresh rebuild with stock internals. Just enough to make it fun without getting too crazy.
Ryanlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
PMoney

Vehicle: 1987 - D21 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86NissanV6 View Post
Make sure you DON'T polish and port the intake section. If you want to stay with a carb like system, the air and fuel need to swirl and mix before entering the engine.
You can still port the intake side of a wet manifold, just like the intake side of a head on a port injection setup. You just don't put a mirror finish like you want on an exhaust port. Using a rougher emory cloth on the intake side is fine, you want the real fine stuff on the exhaust side.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
86NissanV6
'86 Hardbody SE V6 4x4

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody 4X4 SE-V6 King Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoney View Post
You can still port the intake side of a wet manifold, just like the intake side of a head on a port injection setup. You just don't put a mirror finish like you want on an exhaust port. Using a rougher emory cloth on the intake side is fine, you want the real fine stuff on the exhaust side.
Thanks for this tip. I was just repeating what I've heard, but you are right, you could, but it can't be like the cylinder wall smooth. (600 grit from what I've heard.)

'86.5 Nissan D21 SE-V6 4x4 Ext Cab
FS5R30A trans / HG43 axle / VG30i
86NissanV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #10
PMoney

Vehicle: 1987 - D21 2wd

Yea, you need a little turbulence to keep it mixed. If the mixture takes a smooth corner then the fuel ends up dropping out. I wish I could remember what grits I used on my mustang when I ported the heads. I just remember the exhaust was some fine grit that left a crazy smooth and shiny surface. And porting is always good, may as well match the gaskets, just gotta keep that intake rough for some mixing turbulence.