Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Performance and Drifting

Old 03-08-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
pejsa HB
Resident Drifter

Vehicle: 91' D21
Default Hydraulic Handbrake FAQ

please sticky this!

There is way to much confusion and clutter in the performance and drifting area over this topic. So I'm going to try and make is simple for everyone.

1 What is a hydraulic handbrake?

A hydraulic hand brake is just that, a hand brake, but instead of using cables to lock the rear wheels you are using brake fluid. This is convenient for the simple fact you can mount it just about anywhere you want to. And there is no need for a release mechanism. It is an on the fly lock your rear wheels solution.

2 How does it work?

There are two different methods to which you can install and design your system. The first method simply puts the handbrake inline between your footbrake master cylinder and your rear brakes. In this case whenever you are not pulling the handbrake and are then pressing your footbrake, fluid from your master cylinder will flow though it normally and operate your rear brakes with no restriction, almost as if it wasn't there. But once you pull the handle the handbrake master cylinder will pressurize your rear brake circuit thus locking your rear wheels. This installation method will not allow you pull your handbrake while you are using the foot brake. This configuration CAN be used with drum rear brakes, just make sure your rear brakes are adjusted.

heres a picture for reference of the inline installation.

The second method is a little more involved. In this design you are making a completely separate braking circuit by using a handbrake that has its own reservoir and master cylinder. The handbrake is not connected to your foot brake at any point. The handbrake is plumbed directly to a second set of calipers on the rear brakes. This is where is gets more involved, you need to 1. either have rear disks or convert to rear disks and 2. make a bracket for a second caliper. This method is preferred simply because if one brake system fails you have another to bring you to a stop. It can also be beneficial because you can operate the foot brake and hand brake at the same time.

reference picture of secondary circuit installation

some dual caliper set ups.

and a handbrake with a reservoir and master cylinder

3 How do I install it?

Im only going to explain the first method of installation because if you have to ask, honestly theres no way your doing an independent circuit system. First off find comfortable position to mount the handbrake where it won't interfere with other operations such as, shifting, buckling your seatbelt, using your windshield wipers. Then make sure the area your mounting it and the way you are mounting it is sturdy enough for the amount of pressure you will be putting on it. Trust me you will be pulling that thing hard. Then decide whether you want to make new brake lines or splice into the factory ones. NOTE make sure you flare your brake lines with a DOUBLE flare, single flares are dangerous and illegal. If you single flare your brake lines, cause a wreck on public motorways and the authorities find this out, you are in trouble.

Then from there its just a matter of finding the correct fittings for your handbrake and routing your brake lines.

Here are a few videos of inline installation

4 Where do I get one?

You can buy a lot of different style handbrakes, just do your research and figure out whats best for your budget and needs. Just a few companies that come to mind are, Part shop max, Ksport, ASD, willwood, CNC, godspeed and isis

Please feel free to add on, or ask a question. But please for the love of god, do not start another "hydro hand brake" thread!
pejsa HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
kinglame (03-08-2014), NissanHBeezy (03-08-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
kinglame

Vehicle: 1993 Hardbody (Ka24e)

Thanks brandon I was a little confused gor a while lol but ima be buying a hydro next week so thanks for explaining how to hook it up
kinglame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
myles66

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1992

Wow this has me thinking about my e-brake setup. So are there any real cons to having a hydraulic brake setup? Or should i say performance wise is it safer than a cable operated system? Im definitely converting to hip side instead of under dash, but i dont think i would feel so safe running it inline with the rest of my brake system. And by judging the labor involved with running a seperate system with seperate calipers, i dont know if i have the time, money, or skill to run it "properly". Could we see a pic of youre system? ive been lurking on your build and cant remember seeing it, maybe i skipped it? And i know this is off topic, but i Love your truck man. I wish i had rack and pinion, not to mention those mad driving skills!!!
myles66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Shady

Vehicle: 95 nissan hardbody

Could you in theory "T" the rear lines and not run the hydro inline and not run a dual caliper setup? Always wondered that. Im sure that have some sort of T valve that will only allow one way fluid travel so youre not losing pressure to the other braking systems master reservoir.
Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
myles66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Could you in theory "T" the rear lines and not run the hydro inline and not run a dual caliper setup? Always wondered that. Im sure that have some sort of T valve that will only allow one way fluid travel so youre not losing pressure to the other braking systems master reservoir.
yea something like that would seem a decent alternative... in theory. hopefully some more folks will chime in with some experience in the matter. i might just end up using a 4x4 hand brake, but i like the idea of a hydro setup.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
pejsa HB
Resident Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles66 View Post
Wow this has me thinking about my e-brake setup. So are there any real cons to having a hydraulic brake setup? Or should i say performance wise is it safer than a cable operated system? Im definitely converting to hip side instead of under dash, but i dont think i would feel so safe running it inline with the rest of my brake system. And by judging the labor involved with running a seperate system with seperate calipers, i dont know if i have the time, money, or skill to run it "properly". Could we see a pic of youre system? ive been lurking on your build and cant remember seeing it, maybe i skipped it? And i know this is off topic, but i Love your truck man. I wish i had rack and pinion, not to mention those mad driving skills!!!
there is nothing wrong with having both a hydraulic handbrake and a cable handbrake. i just wouldn't rely on parking with the hydraulic set up due to leakage past the seals. might wake up with your car in the neighbors yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
that would be great if it worked. But it won't, it will just force fluid back into your footbrake master cylinder.
Thanked by:
myles66 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Shady

that's why I mentioned possibly using a one way valve or check valve to prevent fluid from just being pushed back into the other brake systems line. in theory it should work, right? never did a hydro e brake install before tho nor really messed with one other than in my buddies 86 corolla when sliding it around lol.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
pejsa HB
Resident Drifter

if you installed a one way check, the fluid has to flow back and forth from the master cylinder.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
myles66

I think that is the ticket, with both cable and hydro brakes pejsa. Might add a lil weight... but i just pulled my carpet today, so... fair trade lol
Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 AM   #10
Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejsa HB View Post
if you installed a one way check, the fluid has to flow back and forth from the master cylinder.
Youre right I didn't think of that.