Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Site Info > FAQs and General Info

Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Markerhead

Vehicle: Nissan, D21, 1988
Default EGR Valve

In trying to replace my head gasket on my 1988 D21, I managed to break my EGR valve (EXHAUST GAS RE-CIRCULATION VALVE 710-80W00). Looking around new ones are in the order of $100. Any ideas where I might get a used one? What would be the downside if I just plugged this valve? Any performance issues? The part that broke was housing where the tube from the exhaust manifold connects into it (used too big of a wrench).
Markerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
sparky

Vehicle: 1997 Nissan Hardbody

In some states, you must have the EGR valve for emissions purposes but i don't think there are any performance issues to be gained/lost if its on or off. A junkyard might be a cheap place to find one. If you go that route, clean it really good with some carb and choke cleaner and make sure the diaphram slides up and down easily, and when installed and with the engine running... it should want to make the engine hesistant and almost stall.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
HEMI
Death Row

Vehicle: Nissan Hardbody

Other than "cleaning up" the engine bay there is no advantage, and a slight disadvantage as unlike a lot of "emissions stuff" the EGR actually improves fuel economy while cruising at steady speeds (the only time it's active).

By introducing already burned exhaust gases into the intake it reduces combustion chamber temperatures (already burned gases cannot burn again). Along with reducing oxides of nitrogen emissions this lowered combustion temperature also allows more advanced timing, which improves overall engine efficiency.
HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
pejsa HB
Resident Drifter

Vehicle: 91' D21

@markerhead. this is in the wrong section buddy you will have better luck posting in the engine and drivetrain section.
pejsa HB is offline   Reply With Quote