Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Performance and Drifting

Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
Motorhead
I <3 WRENCHING

Vehicle: TURBO HB & 2015 FORESTER XT & OLD 944
Default long overdue build thread...THE TURBO AUTOX TRUCK

It has been awhile since i have been on here. this truck has been on my radar since i was 15. i used to see it parked aroud the block from me whe i rode bmx at the time, before i even thought about having a truck. it was the only lil slammed minitruck nissan around and it looked just like the pic below. fast forward from 2002 to 2009 i approached the owner and asked him if he wanted to sell it. he called me back 4 months later and i bought it! Its been a great truck. here is a picture a few hours after i bought it.

thats my friend in the drivers seat lol. he has my old hardbody, he put a v8 into it.

here is a picture of it today 11/2015

So it had 75k and previous custom work done to it that was reversed. it used to be slammed, have bucket seats, dual exhaust a header and rollpan, but the guy i bought it off of reversed all that.

i used to see the truck around town when i was 16 (im 25 now) slammed looking pretty clean except for some gross chrome tint. i remember thinking to myself, "man id like to have a truck like that." i am so psyched i have it now. i even ran into the original owner around town and he gave me props for making the truck even cleaner.

i just wanted a clean driver that was good on gas because i do pool service and repairs, so i always need some kind of truck lying around.

i keep my business overhead low so i can relax in the winter. this truck has saved me lots of money and ive done some pretty big jobs with it, on some occasions hauling sand, or pool filters and stuff. otherwise ive been nice to it and get building materials freighted to the jobsite so its easier on me and the truck. this thing doesnt owe me anything!

also, any of the days that i went autocrossing i just emptied the tools out of the the truck, adjusted tire pressure and just got my ass out there sliding and shit. its so versatile for me. it looks like a super clean lowered truck but i just roll back the tonneau and im ready to do some serious work and make some serious cash. during the summer around here im pulling more than 3g a week... like i said, this thing doesnt owe me anything.

so back to 2009. the same summer i bought the truck i got shocks belltech springs and the addco rear bar. cleaned the stupid stripe off the side then very soon afterwards went to my first autocross. everyone loved the truck at the autox and i was faster than a few cars.

braking hard in the exit.

then my friend rearended me, it had a dent and the tailgate wouldnt work right. insurance blew it up to more than it was, so it only cost me 300 dollars out of an 1800 dollar job for my truck to look like this

then i autox'ed it a second time with nice sticky falken azenis. it didnt feel very sticky lol it needs a lsd...

the truck did surprisingly good. beat a few stock late 90s imprezas and some stock sentras that were there but its not beating any miatas or s2000s soon. its possible though. driver skill makes a huge difference more than anything though, thats why i like this sport. its not about how much you spend its about how much you practice. i drove my friend's miata in the autox, one of the best autox cars, and i gotta say it was not as fun compared to driving my truck. i also had to get used to the miatas faster steering ratio so i was always overcorrecting! overall i got more inspired to really get the truck set up for auto x.

i then added little stuff like a frontier tailgate and truxedo tonneau. i complete;y rebuilt the frontend with polyurethane and sway away torsions and whatever too.

my best cheap mod so far to the front swaybar, everyone shoud do this. take a piece of angle iron and weld it to the straight part of the front sway bar underneath the oilpan. still holds good.

got the s15 steering wheel on ebay...mounted racing seats...

then i thought about selling it....and woke up

then this guy driving his dads rolla drove into me while he was on the cellphone

Last edited by Motorhead; 12-01-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Motorhead
I <3 WRENCHING

fast forward a few months and i had the truck together looking like this. i found a rust free bed in jersey for 700 bucks delivered to my house. got the aftermarket 4wd fenders fitting like oem with some tweaking.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
MikeSki

Vehicle: 1989 D21

nice work
MikeSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
mrbadlt1

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan D21 Hardbody

Does the frontier tail gate bolt right up? Nice truck btw!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Motorhead
I <3 WRENCHING

yes the frontier tg bolts right up
Old 12-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
Motorhead
I <3 WRENCHING

so the guy hit me, i fought with his insurance company and they agreed the value of the truck was about 4500. so thats what the gave me.

i had some welding experience doing repairs on my gt40 powered bronco

and some experience over the winter fixing this

back together 100 percent

so i started to tackle it with the help of shavedmax

pulled the bedsides

like this even with the inner cut it was hard to get a lot of movement.

its barely noticeable but got me lots of room

put on a 255lph fuel pump in prep for BOOST

after doing a decent amount of the prep i dropped it off at the bodyshop.
a month and 2500 later

it was painted!

got it home, started taking out new stuff i ordered and heres how it sits so far. still so much to do. im gonna put some holes in the front bumper for intercooler flow / race look. there are 1.25 inch spacers on the rear making the wheels flush with the pulled bedsides but im gonna get slightly smaller ones soon, i dont want to poke.
i might ditch the chrome.

this is for function as well as form, our front track is wider than the rear by an inch. i want the rear to be wider for handling reasons and i like the effect so far. more stable but more understeer.

budget wise, i got a bunch of turbo stuff so ive spent much more than 4500 somehow, and im still not done getting turbo stuff...or suspension stuff...oh well im not complaining

one thing is for sure, i learned i can do bodywork, but only in a shop! and it takes tons of time and patience you better have!

so tell me what you guys think!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
deathrace2000

Vehicle: None currently

Cool build so far.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
bagndrag
Subnoize Rat

Vehicle: 89 nissan pathy 2 door

nice truck man
Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
jcjcsoccerkid
mod

Vehicle: 98 frontier

nice truck!! i like it a lot...whats the plans for the engine?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
Motorhead
I <3 WRENCHING

thanks guys. for the motor the plan is the stuff i have waiting: a s15 t28 gladman turbo manifold, some jgs turbo goodies, stainless braided oil/water lines, the 240sx intercooler piping you see in the pic, a simple bosch bypass valve and a hallman manual boost control. a innovate wideband o2 sensor will keep an eye on the afr.

for now an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a old school fmu will be used with retarded timing and a resistor in place of the rear cat, but in the future i want to run a megasquirt to intercept the signal between the stock ecu and the injectors, that way i can run bigger side feed injectors or the old style injectors so i can run a 240sx intake. then i can use a msd boost timing master to play with the timing. i'm trying to keep it simple, less to go wrong lol.

the motor in it now is very sound 110k new timing chain no oil leaks so im not worried about it. im looking for a reliable 180-200 hp that spools quick.

next winter i want to build a cammed ported forged motor to support north of 300 hp with quick spool from a ball bearing turbo. or a build rear because i really want LSD. we'll see
Thanked by:
fj1289 (06-16-2017)