Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > The Other Forum

Old 09-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan Hardbody
Default Hurricane Irma

Well today is supposed to be my last night of working the Irma emergency duty.

Have 77 hours so far this week, not counting tonight. Will be nice to have tomorrow off and to go back to normal schedule. I have been working night shift from 11 am to 12 midnight all week, except the first day when we worked 20 hours.

We have been hooking up a big trailer mounted generator to lift stations on a route they give us, I believe, in the area we are working in (we have North, South and East areas, I'm in North), there should be less than 20 stations without power now.

The power company has been working specifically on getting our lift stations back in power and the benefit is when they do, the sub division usually gets there power back to, we ran into the same power guys 3 times yesterday and they got 4 of our stations back in power last night alone.

Haven't worked this many hours since the 4 hurricanes we had in 2004.

The carport roof that covers my carport/screen room and shed, about 8 feet of the section that covers my shed folded back onto it self exposing my shed/ work shop to the rain, almost everything inside got drenched, my wife and her daughter started to take out any wet boxes and some of my tools the other day when I was at work, they also were able to remove the carpet I had on the floor.

It's going to take a while to get it back to normal, have to watch out for any mold growth and remove/clean it, re secure the roof down, look like whom ever built the shed used what looks like 3/4" screws to fasten the roof panels into the 2x4 frame of the shed. I'm going to use some screws that are a little longer to try and prevent this from happening again.

Current truck - 1993 Nissan Hardbody king cab 2wd
, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )

Last edited by ahardb0dy; 09-17-2017 at 02:04 PM.
ahardb0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

do you have a dehumidifier? stick it in that shed. that should cut down on some of the humidity in there.

i cant imagine living in a place along the hurricane prone areas. who the fuck can just pick up and take off and put life on hold? man that has got to be a huge financial hit. and im sure its even worse if you suffer any major property loss.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

We have been leaving the door open, I made a screen that closes off the door (to keep the bugs out) a long time ago, It rolls up when not in use, but when down it closes off the door opening.

Going to pick up some 1.5" long screws for when I re secure the roof down to the 2x4 frame. They have a large washer with the neoprene washer to seal.

, (formerly owned: 90 Nissan Sentra, 94 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4, 05 Nissan Titan, 87 Nissan SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 94 Infiniti Q45t & 80 Datsun 310GX )
Old 09-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
veesix

Vehicle: 1988 SE V6 KingCab

So a lift station is an electrical facility? I thought it was for water.
veesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

probably the sewer system.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:39 AM   #6
PoppaGary

Vehicle: 1997 D21 KC XE 2WD

I work a help desk for a major corporation of pet hospitals, before this job I could care less what happened in any given area, but now these event impact my day and really throw a big friggin' wrench in the system. Most of my clients are cool and understanding, but others are like wtf, why is my phone\internet down and what do you mean it will be three days before they can even work on it? |
Hello!? There are like millions of people w/o power, come on.

Tony, hope it all works out OK and best to ya.

Last edited by PoppaGary; 09-18-2017 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Cocktails, forgot to address Tony.
PoppaGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:50 PM   #7
ahardb0dy
The Post Count Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesix View Post
So a lift station is an electrical facility? I thought it was for water.
Lift station is basically a deep (18 feet or more) well where the sewage goes into, the wells typically have 2 pumps and are controlled by float balls, when the sewage level gets to a set height the pump or pumps come on and pump the sewage down the line to either another lift station or to a master lift station, master station is a very large lift station with huge wells and multiple pumps, they have their own huge back up generator and fuel tank.

So when power is out the wells fill up and can overflow, we had to hook a generator up to each station on our route to pump the well down, than we would go to the next one, some stations pump into the next lift station on the route, in that case , sometimes, they will have a tanker truck pump out the station and take it nearby to a sewer manhole and dump it so it does not go to the next station and will go directly to the master station.

Does not make sense when the power is down to pump one station directly to the next one in the same neighborhood, because as soon as we pump out the first one, it would go to the second one.