Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 10-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
Megagwar

Vehicle: 1992 Nissan D21
Default 93 D21 Build (MANY PICTURES)

Hey guys! Been lurking around on the forums awhile. Picked up my hardbody in back in July of this year. The plan is to be my drift truck that i could still use for work. Just a nice fun, mild build. This is what she looked like:

She was a little beat up. A little dirty. With about 250,000 miles. Drove her back to my place though with no issue!
Went to work on cleaning the inside a bit... gutted the nasty rubber stuff

Removed the rear bumper:

Fixed the passenger side fender with a rubber mallet:

(just temporary)

The previous owner had been hit in the rear of the bed. Making the bed a little uneven. A buddy of mine and his dad got to work on straightening it out and getting the original tailgate back on.

Tailgate back on!

Removed the front bumper cause it was garbage, added a front lip, and a blue tow strap.

Megagwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
Megagwar

I had a little issue with rust under the battery....

So i moved the battery to the back with a Summit battery relocation kit. And with the help of Alamaba_Lowlife.. i went with his idea of using a distribution box from the fusible links to the new wire gauge!

Nice and tucked away

Proceeded to weld the diff!

Got some parts!

New Grip Royal steering wheel added with quick release:

Old 10-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
Megagwar

Full front end refresh!
Pejsa high angle knuckles, 4x4 d21 front shocks, i forget which rear shocks i got but they were shorter than the stock when compressed, all bushings to poly, ball joints, tie rods, etc. and painted the upper control arms to yellow just for the heck of it.

Added a Tachometer:

240 short shifter:

I was thoroughly impressed when i went thru ASR321's build thread and saw he added a spoiler. so excited on that... i made my own but didnt come out nearly as good. haha!

Gonna be getting this clear coated this week some time and put on.

And how it sits now:

lowered the torsion a bit up front, removed a leaf spring in the rear too.

next up will either be lowering leaf springs and sway bar or rims. Due to the fact im rubbing on the stock rims at full lock up front now. hehehe

I have a miata seat for driver and pathfinder bucket seat for passenger. Those are temporary tho! I already have cam lock 4 point harness's... gonna start making up a harness bar to get those installed soon.

future plans i want to do is... coilover conversion up front. and once the engine goes, full rebuild, new lower compression pistons, new cams, and go turbo. Around the 300hp or so... not sure what pistons and cams to go for yet.

Right now im mainly getting things refreshed.
Thanked by:
Old 10-24-2016, 04:08 AM   #4
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

Keep on building man! Great project I wanna have my own drift truck some day
Old 10-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
Scrapingpavement

Vehicle: Bagged 1994 nissan hardbody KC and a singlecab 1996 4x4 nissan hardbody

Sweet progress so far. Let me know how you like your welded diff was thinking about doing same to mine just want to know how driving normal if its too much of a pain or not.
Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Megagwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardbody92 View Post
Keep on building man! Great project I wanna have my own drift truck some day
Thanks dude! Get yourself one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapingpavement View Post
Sweet progress so far. Let me know how you like your welded diff was thinking about doing same to mine just want to know how driving normal if its too much of a pain or not.
Thanks!
Appreciate it! just little things right now. it'll get good soon! Ive been driving the truck with it welded for a couple months already. I love it! Predictable. It feels fine to me and no issues for normal driving. Just the typical wheel chirp when making turns and stuff.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Megagwar

A little update!
Got some new wheels off a 2000 Toyota 4Runner. 15x7 et15 with 185/55/15 tires up front. I'll post some picks later today. Plus I ordered some belltch lowering leafs for the rear. Those came in yesterday and will be installed today!

What I'm considering now is power steering/rack and pinion. As the truck has manual steering and can be difficult at times when sliding the truck around. Looking at others conversions and getting ideas... I'm thinking this: (would like some input)

Rack and Pinion from 2001 WRX
OEM Nissan D21 pump/pulley
WRX clamps to hold the rack
All the line and high pressure hoses

Besides welding up brackets to the crossmember and shortening the inner tie rods about 3" or so... That should work just fine, yea? Or am I missing something? If I read right on ASR321's thread, the stock Nissan steering shaft slipped right into the R&P, correct?
Old 11-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
86.5KC

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1986.5, King Cab, Z24i, 5speed, 2wd

[QUOTE=Megagwar;467492]
What I'm considering now is power steering/rack and pinion. As the truck has manual steering and can be difficult at times when sliding the truck around. Looking at others conversions and getting ideas... I'm thinking this: (would like some input)

OEM Nissan D21 pump/pulley
All the line and high pressure hoses

QUOTE]

Hi Mega,
You have one great example on how the drift truck can come together. Looks great.
I have these stock parts on my truck, plus the shorter column shaft to attach to the power box....I have been looking for a manual setup to clean up my engine bay.. I eventually will be tub-ing the inner front fenders for more ability to get low.... If you are interested PM me. No dollars would need to change hands, even swap. Let me know.
86.5KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #9
Megagwar

PM sent.

Last edited by Megagwar; 11-02-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:37 AM   #10
Megagwar

Got the stickerbombed fender on and lowering leafs! Need to do the hangar redrill to get it lower. But I'll wait till the springs settle. Need to lower the torsion a bit more too. But at least the major rake I had it gone! Plus the new rims:

Once I get it to the height I want, rear should be flush. Maybe a little in. (Threw on some slotted Stoptech rotors and new pads on my daily in the background)

I am having quite a bit of postive camber. No Bueno... I want those adjustable upper control arms...