Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 10-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #11
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs View Post
Are you a Toyota mechanic? If not, you stay up on issues! Ours is a 2GR-FE V6. The problems we had in the beginning really soured us on the car. We tried to do an arbitration case but were told since Toyota could fix it, no chance. Toyota gave us the free lifetime warranty as a good gesture they said. All in all, it has been a very dependable car and I would still buy another. But since they gave us that warranty, no brainier.......we will keep this car until everything else on it completely falls apart.
Haha no I'm not, but thanks for the compliment. I don't have any formal training or professional experience whatsoever. I've owned 2 of them thus far and everyone in the family/at work drives one, so that's what I seem to wrench on the most. My 1999 Camry (1MZ-FE v6) is at 237k and counting.

The 2GR is a great engine. Nice and torquey. Not too many issues with those that I'm aware of. I believe the earlier ones had rubber oil cooler hoses that live under the exhaust manifold and break down over time. At some point they went to an upgraded all-metal part that will retrofit with the older ones. You might take a look next time you're under there to see which one you have.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:05 PM   #12
highest_vision

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunya View Post
The concept of oil analysis has me thinking.... perhaps I can have my stool studied, any abundance of unused nutrients would indicate things to be removed from my diet. Any lack of certain elements might point to things to include in my future meals. One thing for certain, the test would show that I am "full of IT"
Totally inadequate comparison That is more like emissions testing. I am talking about blood testing, which you DO get done semi-regularly if you are about your body. 3000 mile changes work fine for most folks, but when I can double or triple that and know that I have absolutely nothing to be concerned with from a lubricant standpoint I am saving money for other concerns. Why wouldn't folks want to save money?

As an aside, your comment does draw interesting testing "potential" for products like Soylent...
Some 2 wheeled things

highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
nunya (10-20-2019)
Old 10-20-2019, 09:53 PM   #13
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

Soylent Green IS PEOPLE!!!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:01 PM   #14
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

Hmmm...well I guess by that logic if the tests showed a bunch of, um, buildup a cleansing agent of some sort might help. Taco bell products seem to work well.

On a more serious note I'm not big into 3K oil changes either. I do it every 5K using synthetic and it seems to be just fine. No sludge or carbon buildup to speak of and the oil still comes out pretty clean. The PCV side top end is just a little bit darker, which is completely normal.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:45 AM   #15
highest_vision

Well the diesel folks may well be running Taco Bell thru their fuel system! We're running the tortilla chips more or less... And as for Soylent, it's here.

I also run a synthetic. A previous vehicle I had I would go to 10k, but that was at a year so I changed it. It tested fine. Nowadays I am driving much more, 6k just driving cross country a few times this year... This allows me to change oil when I want to and can, not when I have to and can't.

I added the report I think.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf H191912-OILANA99990003cleared.pdf (113.7 KB, 1 views)
Some 2 wheeled things

Last edited by highest_vision; 10-21-2019 at 02:52 AM. Reason: forgot to add report
Thanked by:
SBJ (10-21-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red

Holey Schmoly there IS a product Soylent!"In a world with a rapidly growing population, and rapidly diminishing resources, we all need access to nutrition that is cost-effective and easy to consume" I was referring to the old movie in which over population is dealt with by means of an industrial food supply augmented by cannabilism. Both possibilities make Taco Bell seem more palatable.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:13 AM   #17
highest_vision

It's pretty messed up! Wonder what Charlton Heston would think...
Some 2 wheeled things