Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Infamous Nissan > Shows and Get Togethers

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd
Default The Oregon Camping Trip Thread

I figure this probably deserves its own thread instead of cluttering up the other one. Anyways, the title should be pretty self-explanatory.

Who: anyone who's interested. I can't imagine we'll have a huge turnout, but you never know.

When: To be determined. I'm thinking late spring-early summer. 3 nights is a pretty good time frame, that way it's worthwhile for those coming down from WA (been there, done that). Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see another record-breaking fire season this year, something to keep in mind.

Where: Western OR - probably in one of the national forests but BLM land is also an option. Ideas are welcome here.

I've got pretty much all the basics like a big folding table, tarps for shade/rain protection, camp stove, grill, cooking utensils, etc. You'll want to bring your own tent, sleeping bag, folding chair, food, beer, and whatever other substances you wish to indulge in (please no hard stuff though). You'll also need a way to securely lock up all the food and trash at the end of the day, locking in your vehicle should be fine.
Thanked by:
Wersh (03-06-2019), XoXSciFiGuy (03-29-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 10:40 PM   #2
Wersh
Phone Repair Tech

Vehicle: 1991 Nissan D21 2WD

Will definitely get my Mavic Pro out and get some shots to upload to the forum.
I should have me and 1-3 others to tag along if everything goes well
Cant believe we're still getting snow in March
Old 03-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #3
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Here are a couple shots of the last place I camped. I would definitely camp there again, although right now it's probably under a few feet of snow. The only downside is that it's pretty close to the highway.

Thanked by:
Wersh (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #4
Wersh
Phone Repair Tech

Very cool spot. Might take the pathy for this trip so i can sleep inside something and not be as close to the ground.
i have a heater buddy and some LED 4k lumen worklights that draw like 14-30W, great on a generator.. that i might have laying around
Old 03-06-2019, 11:18 PM   #5
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Ground clearance shouldn't be a problem unless you are lowered. Mine is a stock 2wd setup and it made it up there with ground clearance to spare. Even if you are lowered a couple of inches it's probably still passable if you are careful. At the other spot (not pictured) I actually drove out there in my camry when I was looking for places to camp. The forest service does a pretty good job maintaining their roads.

I too have one of those heaters but I seldom ever use it. I get that it's supposed to be safe for inside tents and vehicles but I still don't like the idea of generating carbon monoxide inside an enclosed space. For light I have a propane lantern and a bunch of headlamps and flashlights. And for the love of god don't use those little green propane cylinders, I must have forgotten to list it above but I have a couple of propane tanks and a variety of adapter hoses. Those things are a colossal waste of money.

Last edited by SBJ; 03-06-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #6
Wersh
Phone Repair Tech

I use my green propane cans for my after work dabs, after my dad and i collected 10-15 we bought a refill adapter from the big can to small. So i do reuse them
My dad & i actually used 2 heater buddies to warm the house 2017-2018 winter (hes a cheap b@astard)
Ive already cracked 1 wheel & my tires are low profiles (something likke that)
Old 03-07-2019, 02:49 AM   #7
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I'd be down for some time! Would be great to actually meet you guys! I don't do much camping anymore. Not prepared for it very well.

Guess I need to make sure I get my ball joints done!
VG33i
Thanked by:
Wersh (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 03:24 AM   #8
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Like I mentioned above, it won't be for a few more months. BTW the ball joints are easy, for the lower ones don't bother trying to press them out, just take the snap ring out then put a jack under the control arm and hit them out with a hammer. A few good hits oughta do it. A generic ball joint press tool works fine for pressing the new ones in. The upper ones simply bolt into place. I think the only difference is that the CV shaft has to come out of the hub on 4wd models. I think I bought all new front end parts for about $60 on rock auto. Might as well do the tie rod ends and stabilizer bar links while you're in there.

For the camping, I didn't advertise it above but I actually do have an extra tent and sleeping bag lying around that you could use. I bought a new tent last year which means the old one gets to hang around as a spare. Also, if SciFi shows up to this one we'll have enough gear for 10 people to camp comfortably lol.
Thanked by:
Wersh (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 03:41 AM   #9
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

I am not looking forward to doing ball joints at all. I don't have any of the specific tools for them. A coworker has a lift. I might ask him to help me with them then order parts.

SiFi has the camping Hilton! I've got access to most of the tent gear I would need.
VG33i
Old 03-07-2019, 04:00 AM   #10
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

There really aren't any special tools needed. Just a generic ball joint press tool you can loan out at any parts store. IMHO the $120 deposit on those things is kinda steep - I bought one outright for less than half of that. Even then, you'll find that the press tool works fine for pressing the new ones in but you can't get a good angle for pressing the old ones out. That's where the BFH comes in, and the jack so that the control arm doesn't bounce around on you. They're really not in there that tight.

Like so:

I think I took this while I was putting the new ones in. Obviously yours will have a CV shaft to contend with but I can't imagine it's too difficult to pull it out of the hub. You shouldn't need to unbolt it from the diff, just let it hang off to the side. And since the hubs are out anyways, it's a great time for new wheel bearings, or to re-pack the existing ones.

Last edited by SBJ; 03-07-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Closed Thread