Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Performance and Drifting

Old 11-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab
Default Chevy LSX information

Well I have been dreading writing this up because there are quite a few options of choices in this department and I am bound to screw something up when I write this, feel free to correct anything I have wrong. I might be a bit vague at times looking for that positive confirmation that I have the right information.

I know this is not the best source of information since anyone can change it but here is a Wikipedia link to give a few basics on the LS motors:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

I personally would probably go this route if I wanted to do a swap all over again. The aftermarket parts for this engine is unreal (can be really expensive too though). You also have to plan very carefully which motor you have and where you want to go. Some motors have a 24 tooth reluctor wheel and others have a 48 tooth reluctor wheel, this makes a difference in which parts you might want to buy. The earlier engines had cathedral port heads, the newer ones use a square port head (the truck motors I think all have cathedral port heads). Some of the blocks are solid hunks of iron and others are aluminum. If you read the link posted you also have the option of a 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L, and 6.0L from this engine design.

I would be looking for a 5.3 truck motor because they are cheaper to get than most of the rest except the 4.8L motor. I think the crank is different in the 4.8L so you have some extra parts to change. With the 5.3 you can just bore it out and put in new pistions if you want more cubes as they say (I know the 5.3L can easily be a 5.7L but not sure how they got to the 6.0L, might be another crank/rod change). I would get the iron block, I think I read somewhere the aluminum block only saves around 88 lbs. In the past I have seen a few stripped out holes on an aluminum block if someone was not careful putting bolts in, not that I would do this but not worth the risk. I also hear the aluminum block on start up makes more noise. The differences in heat expansion between iron pistons/rings and the aluminum block creates this noise. My final reason for an iron block, over about 750HP the aluminum version can start to develop cracks or warp over time while the iron version can take much more abuse. I would plan on some sort of forced induction so 750HP would not be out of the question. This is also another reason to buy the cheaper truck motor, why buy the expensive stuff when your going to replace half of it. I have not looked into just buying a crate motor but this could be an option as well.

This is probably just the tip of the iceburg as one might say, I have not done this so experience in this department is preferred over my guessing.

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
waker_mikie (11-07-2013)
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #2
asr321
LSx DRIFT MONSTER

Vehicle: 86.5 hardbody

im doing a 4.8 swap over the winter. 5.3 and up motors all use the same crank(same stroke) just have differnt bore sizes. the 5.3 and 4.8 use the same bore the 4.8 is just the odd ball of the lsx's because of its shorter stoke and longer rods. they do have flat top pistons in the 4.8s as opposed to dished in the 5.3s.

getting to the point here you can run the 5.3 and up crank and rods in a 4.8 and end up with a higher compression 5.3. or swap stock 4.8 pistons into a 5.3 to achive the same thing
Old 11-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
dvdswan
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 96 HB

this is where I got most of my info.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ification.html
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2618002
dvdswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
scoobysmak (12-15-2013)
Old 01-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
thekemosabe

Vehicle: '89 nissan hardbody, '86 nissan ext.cab, '03 honda elemtent (wifes ride)

currently swapping in a 5.3 into my ext. cab hardbody...complete write up when I'm done. Currently fighting fridged temps and rust repair...
Old 08-11-2015, 02:23 AM   #5
Cmstone

Vehicle: 1993 Nissan d21

I'm in the process of considering a 5.3 swap. I'm going a different route, I have an aluminum 5.3 ls2. I don't plan on having more than 500hp which should be easy to achieve with a head/cam and tune. For me I don't see any reason having more than 500ish hp. I just want a street truck with nice tuned suspension. Plus with the weight of a d21 and that much horsepower that thing would be a beast on the street.
Cmstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmstone View Post
I'm in the process of considering a 5.3 swap. I'm going a different route, I have an aluminum 5.3 ls2. I don't plan on having more than 500hp which should be easy to achieve with a head/cam and tune. For me I don't see any reason having more than 500ish hp. I just want a street truck with nice tuned suspension. Plus with the weight of a d21 and that much horsepower that thing would be a beast on the street.

Don't forget to document it well and share it all here and take lots of pictures
Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
pratt

Vehicle: 94 d21

I've got a lr4 (4.8) that will be going in my hardbody. Mine is going to take forever tho. Have about 5-6 hours a week to work on it. But I will contribute when I can. Also my build thread is in my sig. That's where I'll be documenting pretty much everything.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:38 PM   #8
rabies
time is running out...

Vehicle: 97 KA MT 2wd KC

I figured I would land some info:
the AT 4l60E(electric controlled shift) trans fits LS and SBC blocks.
the 4l80 is beefier and also fits the blocks.
for manual the T56 fits (came from camaros, trans am etc) but go for about $1000-2000.

the motors can be cheap. the trans is not.
you can use almost any trans and get an adapter. some use jeep trans.
you can use standalone harness and ECU or do your own wiring.
you can convert any LS to carb or vice versa.
they all use the same coils.
SBC and LS motors use dif exhaust manifolds.
a standard 4.8L motor weighs pretty close to the ka24e.....
buy truck motor use 6.0L intake.
several dif types of LS heads. 6.0L heads weren't good.
cannot use corvette trans...that was mounted in the rear on the axle...unles...mmm
rabies is offline   Reply With Quote