Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #20431
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

As promised: Photos of door handles,
Thanks Nunya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191102_134806-COLLAGE.jpg (63.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190826_172600.jpg (51.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20191102_132834.jpg (88.0 KB, 12 views)
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:18 AM   #20432
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red
Default Flock it up, flock it up baby

My console cover was sorta nasty. I removed it from it's frame, masked and sanded. I then sprayed it down with 3M adhesive. I think I shoulda sprayed it gray first, It might have saved me a second application of flocking.[IMG]http:/http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3020&pictureid=20367[/IMG] I let the adhesive dry overnight. In the morning I sprayed with 3M again.(pop any glue bubbles). I had found gray FLOCKING online on Etsy, 1 ounce was plenty. I put the flocking in a squeeze bottle and poofed it all over the glued area, piling it up, left it alone overnight. In the morning I shook the excess off, gently brushing. The excess can be used again. I had a couple of spots that showed through unwanted color, so i just lightly resprayed and re flocked. It is not perfect, but much improved. When my GF found the gray dust all over her washing machine, she exclaimed "GET THE FLOCK OUTA HERE!" yes dear, right away my precious....
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:21 AM   #20433
nunya

Vehicle: nissan d21 93 kingcab red
Default Flock it up, flock it up baby

My console cover was sorta nasty. I removed it from it's frame, masked and sanded. I then sprayed it down with 3M adhesive. I think I shoulda sprayed it gray first, It might have saved me a second application of flocking I let the adhesive dry overnight. In the morning I sprayed with 3M again.(pop any glue bubbles). I had found gray FLOCKING online on Etsy, 1 ounce was plenty. I put the flocking in a squeeze bottle and poofed it all over the glued area, piling it up, left it alone overnight. In the morning I shook the excess off, gently brushing. The excess can be used again. I had a couple of spots that showed through unwanted color, so i just lightly resprayed and re flocked. It is not perfect, but much improved. When my GF found the gray dust all over her washing machine, she exclaimed "GET THE FLOCK OUTA HERE!" yes dear, right away my precious....
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
YEPEE (11-06-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #20434
norham

Vehicle: Nissan D21 1992

Installed new battery, old one had a bad cell and while it didn't fail to start, there was a few times that were questionable. Seventy-five dollars buys a lot of peace of mind. I like my D21, 284,731 mile on the clock and running like a champ....
norham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #20435
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

When TBI was newer...it was GREAT. I had this 86 that practically flew everywhere I ever drove it. Mountains, prairie, town, whatever.

But...(you knew there was a 'but' coming) after all these years, more than three decades...it aint so great anymore. All those components surrounding the TBI system are now harder to get, and even if you do, they will mostly be the same age as your truck. I can see why a lot of folks finally coughed up to go carb. Same reason why a lot of classic Chevy and Ford owners finally switched to electronic ignition systems from the stock points and condenser system.

It was great while it lasted though. My last rig with TBI was the 1989 I finally sold after I too got tired of chasing all the problems. The situation today is a lot like this:

Suppose you buy an old Nissan truck with TBI and it has a blown engine and tranny to boot. Maybe you paid $300 for it. You can get more than that for the TBI system as long as it still works. I can't go back to all that, and I won't. When people ask me today WHICH hardbody they should try to buy, I send them to the 96-97 for a lot of reasons. One big one is that those years have the newer OBD-2 system and you can plug a code reader into them. And they aren't TBI.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:15 AM   #20436
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

I've been balls deep into the old 4runner these last few days. New timing belt and water pump are on so now it's onto the valve cover gaskets. I've been wanting to fix this leak for a few years but now I kind of wish I hadn't looked under there. As they say, ignorance is bliss and even a Toyota needs regular oil changes. I can't say I'm surprised by the amount of nastiness under there but it does make me sad. I'll have to dump some rislone in there followed by a couple of quick oil change intervals. Change your oil people.

I also found that one of the wires going to the #1 fuel injector had rubbed through, so I'll have to do something about that while it's apart. I'm kind of surprised it never caused a misfire.
SBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #20437
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD, 1998 Pathfinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
I've been balls deep into the old 4runner these last few days. New timing belt and water pump are on so now it's onto the valve cover gaskets. I've been wanting to fix this leak for a few years but now I kind of wish I hadn't looked under there. As they say, ignorance is bliss and even a Toyota needs regular oil changes. I can't say I'm surprised by the amount of nastiness under there but it does make me sad. I'll have to dump some rislone in there followed by a couple of quick oil change intervals. Change your oil people.

I also found that one of the wires going to the #1 fuel injector had rubbed through, so I'll have to do something about that while it's apart. I'm kind of surprised it never caused a misfire.
When you get all the oil leakage stopped...start adding a quart of HyPerLube at every oil change. After the third time you do this, engine will be clean as a whistle. Cut the mileage on the oil change to every 1,500 miles or less when doing this. After the third time, you can go back to every 3,000 or so. I have used this method to great success in the Teal Terror. On the last change, I put in a new oil pan gasket. While I was in there, I examined the crank, etc. Looked like new and you could feel the honey-like coating on the bearings from the HyPerLube. That stuff works. I also scraped and cleaned out the oil pan while I was there. You can actually use dish soap, brushes, water, and junk rags for this. Just make sure it is completely dry and rub a little oil around it before you re-install the pan.

Update on hardbody prices lately in the open market: They are going UP for anything halfway decent. I have seen this at Craigslist and the usual car sites. This is not a surprise.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 120,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #20438
VOTS95

Vehicle: 1995 XE King Cab V6, Desert Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Update on hardbody prices lately in the open market:[/B] They are going UP for anything halfway decent. I have seen this at Craigslist and the usual car sites. This is not a surprise.
Yep, I search for spare parts on a regular basis and I've seen this as well. Some of these trucks have pretty high mileage and they're still being sold for top dollar. And they sell fast too.

VOTS95

1995 XE, V6, 5 Speed
VOTS95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #20439
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBJ View Post

3.0 4runner? If so, burn it. Toyotas worst engine. Buddy of mine has 3. One is parts, one is to keep and one is to sell ASAP.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #20440
PoBoi850

Vehicle: 88 Nissan Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
When TBI was newer...it was GREAT. I had this 86 that practically flew everywhere I ever drove it. Mountains, prairie, town, whatever.

But...(you knew there was a 'but' coming) after all these years, more than three decades...it aint so great anymore. All those components surrounding the TBI system are now harder to get, and even if you do, they will mostly be the same age as your truck. I can see why a lot of folks finally coughed up to go carb. Same reason why a lot of classic Chevy and Ford owners finally switched to electronic ignition systems from the stock points and condenser system.

It was great while it lasted though. My last rig with TBI was the 1989 I finally sold after I too got tired of chasing all the problems. The situation today is a lot like this:

Suppose you buy an old Nissan truck with TBI and it has a blown engine and tranny to boot. Maybe you paid $300 for it. You can get more than that for the TBI system as long as it still works. I can't go back to all that, and I won't. When people ask me today WHICH hardbody they should try to buy, I send them to the 96-97 for a lot of reasons. One big one is that those years have the newer OBD-2 system and you can plug a code reader into them. And they aren't TBI.
NOOB Question ALERT: Is it possible to convert a Z24 to fuel injected and eliminate the Throttle body. Or would a complete engine swap be easier. Just askin' no plans to attempt.
PoBoi850 is offline   Reply With Quote