Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #51
ewrjontan

Vehicle: '94 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by highest_vision View Post
$750 might be worth small claims court. They already know they've built their claim on a foundation of sand... You could probably just threaten this, sans lawyer, and they would fall apart like dry dirt on a mudflap. Doesn't take much to file.
They called me earlier today saying that their "master" mechanic had been out on training and would be back this afternoon. They said most likely, the issue is from all of the sediment in the gas tank and that it would most likely have to be replaced. At $600 for the Nissan part. I need to ask if it is necessary to use the Nissan parts since I can get an oem tank from O'reilly's for $300. If they say no I will have to ask why using an aftermarket fuel pump was fine for them (they used Delphi).

They said they would be willing to replace the tank and skip the cost of labor, so that is good. However, at this point I have already spent a ton of money and I am afraid that a new fuel tank might not fix my issue. I am wanting to bring up the fact that they already KNEW about the sediment in the fuel tank and knowingly replaced the pump and buttoned it all back together; then told me to stay above half a tank of gas. I don't know why they wouldn't have notified me of that before putting it all back together. Seems kind of negligent to me.

I am hoping when they pull it apart tomorrow, that they will see the issue is just a pump got disconnected or a line got loose or something. I don't really want to fork out even more money for this damn truck. At this point I have already payed way too much for a truck with 220,000 miles haha.
ewrjontan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #52
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,238 Times in 1,092 Posts

I think we have all paid a chunk on these old trucks. But, it isn't a recurring monthly payment like new cars have. After this is resolved, you will typically get years of use. I'm sure the mechanics saw the crap in the gas tank, but you would have gone somewhere else if they started off by saying that you needed a new one.
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #53
ewrjontan

True. I guess my main concern is that it may or may not fix the issue. I find it hard to believe that the new fuel pump died after 15 miles. Unless they knocked some major rust off during installation which would have gotten sucked up. I just am worried about forking up more money, just to end up needing to fork out more and more money because the main issue isn't fixed.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:03 PM   #54
jp2code
Software Developer

Knocking rust off during the process is very possible.

Tell them that you want something in writing this time so you don't go down the rabbit hole with these repair bills on an old truck. That's what I did 9 years ago when the Nissan dealership wanted 2 grand to replace all of my newly installed rebuilt injectors. They gave me a 2 year warranty, and I had to go back 6 months later because one of them started spewing fuel. They replaced it for free.

I haven't had any issues with them since, and I even put them on the VG33E that I installed a few years back.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:52 AM   #55
highest_vision

Vehicle: 1995 Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
They said most likely, the issue is from all of the sediment in the gas tank and that it would most likely have to be replaced.
Sediment does not equal tank replacement. Unless your tank is epicly rotting from the inside (certainly possible), the sediment could just as well have come from one single low-quality source.If the tank is rotting from the outside and permitting sediment admission, you would have a tremendous fuel leak.

Either way, the tank can be cleaned. I agree with you about your doubts regarding their diagnostic skills, but perhaps you can get them to purge the tank of contaminants, and you can lay eyes on the execution of that task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I think we have all paid a chunk on these old trucks
I couldn't agree more. I just had to drop $2400 at a shop while on the road; I have 230k. I felt it was worth it.
Some 2 wheeled things

highest_vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #56
ewrjontan

So they worked on the truck a few days ago. Turned out some of the wires inside of the tank are loose. Well they put it back together and I had the truck for a couple of days. Didn’t drive too much since I had it up on stands to change the transmission and differential fluid.

Truck worked fine for probably about 50 miles. Went to work. Tried to start it this morning and guess what? Dead again. Same thing, fuel pump not turning on.

Im assuming the wires of the sender/gauge assembly need to be reconnected/replaced. Don’t think They’ll be able to source a new one. This is ridiculous.

I am petty confused though. How is it that the vehicle runs perfectly fine and the pump is running. Then after I park it’s dead. If these wires inside of the tank are getting disconnected, how does the pump continue to get power and stay on until I park it? Is there a constant power wire that keeps the pump running after startup as well as a separate wire that’s sole purpose is for supplying initial power to turn the pump on?
Old 11-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #57
jp2code
Software Developer

Sounds strange.

Maybe it's old gasoline causing parts to stick. How old is the fuel in your tank?

Old 11-19-2019, 12:28 AM   #58
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody x2
Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewrjontan View Post
Truck worked fine for probably about 50 miles. Went to work. Tried to start it this morning and guess what? Dead again. Same thing, fuel pump not turning on.

Im assuming the wires of the sender/gauge assembly need to be reconnected/replaced. Don’t think They’ll be able to source a new one. This is ridiculous.

I am petty confused though. How is it that the vehicle runs perfectly fine and the pump is running. Then after I park it’s dead. If these wires inside of the tank are getting disconnected, how does the pump continue to get power and stay on until I park it? Is there a constant power wire that keeps the pump running after startup as well as a separate wire that’s sole purpose is for supplying initial power to turn the pump on?
The symptoms you describe are exactly how my son’s truck behaved when the fuel pump assembly was failing in his truck. It would work and then it wouldn’t.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:36 AM   #59
ewrjontan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
Sounds strange.

Maybe it's old gasoline causing parts to stick. How old is the fuel in your tank?
Stock tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
The symptoms you describe are exactly how my son’s truck behaved when the fuel pump assembly was failing in his truck. It would work and then it wouldn’t.
Sounds like it. I told him that, unfortunately assemblies are not possible to come by. There is a part sold on ebay (from Thailand) that supposedly is compatible but does look different from the oem one. It is also sold here.

https://www.vflgrpgoods.com/index.ph...ucts_id=169947

The guy was saying we could just do an external pump which sounds like a better idea tbh; if it fails I can just replace it without dropping the tank.

He mentioned using the assembly as the pickup tube. From my understanding, we would just remove the stock pump. Leave the assembly, perhaps with an extension hose/tube to reach the bottom of the tank. Shouldn't have to rely on any of the electronics of the fuel sender assembly since my gauge already doesn't work haha.

Then I would just run an external pump inline from the fuel tank outlet port. Maybe throw another filter inline BEFORE the pump. Does that sound like it would work or would the pump need to be placed lower in the tank? I am assuming we could figure out how to use the stock wiring and relay.

Any ideas as to what size pump I would need? Pressure wise, I am reading that the stock/oem fuel pump pushes 95 psi based on the parts sold on Rockauto.

Seems to simple. I haven't quite fully discussed in depth the workings of an inline pump with the mechanic, this just what I imagine the setup would be. Honestly, if it is this simple I would rather just do it myself.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:07 AM   #60
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Rock Auto has about 2 dozen options for fuel pumps. Not the entire assembly, just the pump.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote