Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Engine and Drivetrain

Old 10-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
whyit

Vehicle: 1995 d21 v6 4wd
Default Remove engine and trans at same time 4x4

I have to rebuild my transmission or swap it because its making some funny noises and leaking, can i take the transfer case off the trans and then pull the whole assemble forward like in most cars? I really don't like the idea of laying under the truck and trying to maneuver the transmission in and out of place. If no one has done this before i guess i'll give it a shot and see what happens but if someone has done it any info would be MUCH appreciated.

The truck is a v6 extended cab 4x4
whyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Reserector
the Flaming Marshmallow

Vehicle: Nissan HB KC 4x4

Much more work to come out the front if you don't need the engine out.

When you separate the t-case from the trans, you WILL lose all of your oil, so you might as well drain it to start with. Bear in mind that you must replace it with GL4 specific oil. Plenty of posts on here about that. I preach Redline MT90 synthetic. I have numbers and experience to back that endorsement.

Whether you pull the two out together, or if you separate the t-case first, there is no getting around removing the torsion bars and the associated crossmember. It looks like it might clear...it won't.

Block the frame with jack stands or timbers so the front wheels can reach full droop before you loosen and remove the bars. I suggest you search out a thread or two bout the finer points of that operation. It's easy to damage them if you don't get them back in correctly. Mark them RH and LH, and so on.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap transmission jack, even if you only use it for this job. Strap it to the jack. You will appreciate the control and safety.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:49 PM   #3
LugNut1990

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan Hardbody

I pulled the engine (KA24E) leaving the transmission in place (manual). Had to drop the front diffy which was a significant job, but didn't need to pull the torsion bars or remove the hood. As expected, the toughest job was getting the engine and trans to mate again. Second toughest was removing the EGR's crossover pipe that was basically self-welded to the exhaust pipe (so order a new one; RockAuto had them).

I did this all to replace the freeze plugs and EGR valve, redo the front of the engine, replace the clutch and all hoses/belts, clean/restore the engine bay, etc. I have pics, if desired.

P.S. I now see I did take the hood off to reinstall the engine. That gave me more wiggle-room on the cherry-picker for getting the engine and trans to line up. Still was a PITA.
Intentionally near-stock
Mods: Second OEM horn, stereo/speakers/sub,
mud and snow tires, HD trailer hitch (cat 3+),
liquid bed liner, G1W dashcam
Definitely not for sale!
LugNut1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #4
LugNut1990

Vehicle: 1990 Nissan Hardbody

P.S. #2: I just uploaded a few more pics from that job. Many not showing to me, but you can click the links to see the pics:

http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/...p?albumid=2946
Intentionally near-stock
Mods: Second OEM horn, stereo/speakers/sub,
mud and snow tires, HD trailer hitch (cat 3+),
liquid bed liner, G1W dashcam
Definitely not for sale!
LugNut1990 is offline   Reply With Quote