Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > My Infamous Nissan > Project Build Log

Old 06-30-2017, 03:23 AM   #21
fj1289

Vehicle: 1995 King Cab SE-6 & 94 Pathfinder XE-6

Pathfinder rear bumper took a little more work than expected. Cut three inches off the bumper mounts to match the amount of overhang on the Pathfinder mounts.

Trimmed the ends of the bumper to better match the rear of the truck.

The ends stuck out like scoops though. Unbolted the endcaps and cut 1" off each one and removed the brackets on the inside. That required using washers as spacers between the caps and center section of the bumper so things would line up properly.

Comparison of the original step bumper on top, trimmed Pathfinder in middle, and full length Pathfinder bumper on bottom.

Riveted a piece of aluminum across the bumper opening for a license plate mount and added the Pathfinder "hooks" for the lower plate mount.

Finally, the universal hitch was a bit low for my tastes.

Discovered the mounting brackets can be moved to a second set of mounting holes - moving up and back about an inch and a half.

Last edited by fj1289; 07-16-2017 at 06:12 AM. Reason: ***photphuket images in the post have been replaced with a free service***
fj1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #22
fj1289

Had a set of 5x7 speakers in the spares pile. Installed them in the back of the cab when I installed the junk yard stereo (truck came with a jumble of wires and nothing else in the lower dash). I mounted the speakers in the rear cab using I the speaker adapters from a Pathfinder door screwed into cut up stock rear mounts. Worked, but no room to fold down the rear seats.

I want to keep the use of the fold down seats, so needed to move those speakers to the doors, but no way with the small round speaker grills.
I noticed the larger speaker grills from the Pathfinder doors were separate from the rest of the panel. A bit of cutting and some drilling and the larger speaker grills were fit to the truck door panels. The speaker openings in the door had to be notched, then the speakers installed the same as original in the Pathfinder doors using the plastic speakers adaptor.
A few pics - they jump back and forth between the left and right door panel - not real organized with the pics during the work ...

Original door panel

Pathfinder panel with pocket removed

Pathfinder speaker cover removed

Rought idea where to cut and drill - overlapped +/- 3/8 inch

Had to cut the door openings for the Pathfinder speaker adapters

Completed door panel

Mounted panel

Gap at top of speaker cover

Last edited by fj1289; 07-07-2017 at 03:56 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #23
Foul_Mouth
Infamous Autocrosser

Vehicle: 1986.5 4WD Reg Cab/ 1991 2WD Reg Cab(Red)/ 1995 2WD Reg Cab(Green)/ 92 WD21 4WD PathFinder

Coming along nicely.

Foul_Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:02 AM   #24
fj1289

This weekend's project - PML. A pair of ProComp add a leafs (short ones - I have an idea to address the fuel tank puncture issue I've read about here) for $40 on Craigslist - brand new never installed!

Took about two hours to install. Thought I'd be smart and use the weight of the truck to compress the springs and not worry about c-clamps. Didn't work nearly as well in the driveway as it did in my mind! After enough cussing, fussing, and an additional trolley jack and two bottle jacks, things finally went back together. C-clamps would have been much easier and quicker!

To make sure I could reuse the u bolts, I got rid of the bottom overload spring. The spring just above it was nearly as thick and had a slight negative arch. I flipped it so it had a slight positive arch, put the add a leaf on top of it, and reassembled the packs. Looks like I have an inch and a half or two inches of lift and the ride is good - feels better than just the stock springs. Ended up going 8 turns on the torsion bars. Still have nearly an inch of clearance between the upper arms and the stops. Front sits maybe an inch lower than the rear - I'm happy with that and hope it will be nearly level when I'm towing my 6x12 enclosed trailer and the motorcycles.

Poor light, but here's a couple pics

Last edited by fj1289; 07-17-2017 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Resizing pics
Old 07-17-2017, 03:03 AM   #25
fj1289

Anyone know how to resize pics in Imgur?

Edit - figured it out - have to swap to desktop site

Last edited by fj1289; 07-17-2017 at 03:55 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #26
fj1289

Truck has gotten a lot of use as a daily driver, pulling my motorcycle trailer, and general hauling duties.

Shortly after these pics I rebuilt the front suspension using poly bushings. Then installed the 235/85 R16 tires and did a driveway front alignment.

Recently she has started to show her age a bit more - so time for a new set of improvements!

Early this summer the water pump started leaking. The engine has over 272,000 miles and the previous owner had no idea when (or even if!) the timing belt had been done. With this always in the back of my mind I’ve taken it pretty easy on the engine - planning to just drive it for a year and then swap in a lower mile VG33. Well, that turned into two years as the truck just kept soldiering along not needing much more than oil, filters, and fuel.

I decided rather than put the time and money and effort into doing the water pump and timing belt, it was time to get serious about the VG33 swap.

I started gathering parts, re-reading everything I had book marked about VG33 swaps, and started making a plan. Part of that plan included taking my time with the swap, so I finished up the timing belt swap on the 94 Pathfinder that had been sidelined since the truck became the daily.

After a week and a half of spending most of my spare time in junkyards or under the hood of the Pathfinder I was just about ready to begin!

I lucked out in my search and found a nice one-owner (did a VIN history search on line) Xterra with 148,000 miles on its first day in the junkyard (looked like it was totaled in a winter accident - slid into/under something and into a curb in February) It also had 4.90 gears! Took two days to pull the engine and front diff. Went back the next weekend to pull the matching rear end. Of course, trying to leave the junkyard the truck is dead - no starter action at all. Luckily while they pull me out of the parking lot so they can lock the gates, I pop the clutch and it starts right up.

Two days later, (with brand new plates) the Pathfinder dies on the way to work — I think it spun a rod bearing and broke a rod. No hole in the pan, but now I don’t have a daily driver either!
Old 09-16-2019, 05:25 AM   #27
Hardbody92

Vehicle: 1992 hardbody

Hopefully you can get another ride later. My 93 pathfinder VG33 swap is doing great, let me know if you need any info on the swap
Old 10-18-2019, 04:44 AM   #28
fj1289

Oops - kind of left that hanging there. Took a couple days off work and got the VG33 swapped in. The original plan of taking my time, gathering all the parts, cleaning things up real good while it’s apart, etc went away when I needed the truck back on the road ASAP. Everything went pretty straight forward. I noted some of my details in the VG33 swap thread.

Finally got custom AC lines for the newer model compressor made locally a couple weeks ago - now the swap is fully complete.

Truck drives much better with the VG33. The full tune up, VG30 cams, and cleaned and flowed injectors probably contribute to that too. Engine seems quite happy on the original ECU (nice thing about MAF based systems) and passed Colorado emissions almost immediately after the swap with very little “learn time” for the ECU.

Last edited by fj1289; 10-18-2019 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typos