Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Performance and Drifting

Old 01-24-2019, 11:12 PM   #11
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Well, probably the dump after the bucket of chips for the weight loss!
VG33i
Deerhurst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:18 AM   #12
lomofo11

Vehicle: Hb-less at the moment

Haha, this thread got jacked from the o.p. Hope he got the answer he was looking for.
As for the thread jackers, do some research before bombing. Swap the VG from a 300z like Cadlilacdude said if you want all that 300z stuff. Buy it and try it and answers will come with experience.
For the guys with the Nap-Z who want power out of it, good luck. It was never made for power. Yes, there's ways to get some power from it but it'll cost a pretty penny and the outcome isn't worth it imo. Swap to a KA-E or KA-DE if you want power from a 4 banger. Hell, even SR swap it! I for one do want a lil Nap-Z with my next hb for the simplicity of under hood cleanliness. I won't be looking for power but do plan on the basics plus one expensive aspect...side draft carbs. They look so good with a shaved firewall.

So the long story short, there are things you can do (like already stated). Cam, header, exhaust, ignition are easy upgrades that'll pep it up. I've heard going to carburetion helps out bit have not done any comparison, just from what some say. Of course they have awesome rods and pistons, valves and springs, stroker kits (as stated again) available for the Nap but that is not cheap.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
david29
Administrator

Vehicle: 1987 Nissan King Cab

Side draft carbs or a Weber 2 Barrel will wake it up. Along with a upgraded cam swap and exhaust system.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:20 AM   #14
h.stickeye

Vehicle: *Black 91 D21 single cab *White 88 D21 single cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomofo11 View Post
Haha, this thread got jacked from the o.p. Hope he got the answer he was looking for.
As for the thread jackers, do some research before bombing. Swap the VG from a 300z like Cadlilacdude said if you want all that 300z stuff. Buy it and try it and answers will come with experience.
For the guys with the Nap-Z who want power out of it, good luck. It was never made for power. Yes, there's ways to get some power from it but it'll cost a pretty penny and the outcome isn't worth it imo. Swap to a KA-E or KA-DE if you want power from a 4 banger. Hell, even SR swap it! I for one do want a lil Nap-Z with my next hb for the simplicity of under hood cleanliness. I won't be looking for power but do plan on the basics plus one expensive aspect...side draft carbs. They look so good with a shaved firewall.

So the long story short, there are things you can do (like already stated). Cam, header, exhaust, ignition are easy upgrades that'll pep it up. I've heard goinseeg to carburetion helps out bit have not done any comparison, just from what some say. Of course they have awesome rods and pistons, valves and springs, stroker kits (as stated again) available for the Nap but that is not cheap.
I've seen a 280hp blow thru z24 d21, and it was awesome. Total cost was like 2k aud, which is like 1500 usd... That's not expensive, and the motor is made for power, its so reinforced you don't need to do much to put some decent boost through it.
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:26 AM   #15
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

In reality the z motor doesn't make that much power and takes serious cash to make decent power. A V6 in a hardbody can make around 200HP with a couple cheap bolt one. If you want way more boost is the way. The motor even has a crank cradle. The VG33, a common swap motor, can be bored out to 3.8L but 3.4L is common and extremely effective. I know of a twin turbo V34 putting down 700+HP in 4wd. Probably only has a couple Gs into the motor it's self plus a tune.

All of the Nissan motors available in the D21 are pretty low powered when NA and not a lot you can do about that. On company sunk $10k I to a NA VG30 and managed 300HP. The twin turbo Z31 is about that from the factory.

For the 4cyl, boost it with some cams. Probably you best bang for the buck and it'll still be pretty mellow by today's standards. You'll still be beat by a new Civic between the lights.
VG33i
Old 08-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #16
lomofo11

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.stickeye View Post
I've seen a 280hp blow thru z24 d21, and it was awesome. Total cost was like 2k aud, which is like 1500 usd... That's not expensive, and the motor is made for power, its so reinforced you don't need to do much to put some decent boost through it.
There are/were a couple members on here that had some pepped up nap's but spent some dough on them. Yeah, boost is the option for power but you can only go so far with them. I mean as in aftermarket performance parts. If you went with a KA24DE or SR20DET the options are endless and you'd get way more power for the money you spend. Now I bet this is getting farther than the op was originally thinking and I'm not trying to start a debate but, I'd swap for something more aftermarket friendly if I was to go with power. Nonetheless, I love the lil nap-z!
Old 08-26-2019, 01:12 PM   #17
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

And the OP asked the question 3 years ago
VG33i
Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
lomofo11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
And the OP asked the question 3 years ago
I saw that and posted anyway. I was lurking about nap-z stuff and came across this. Apparently gave it some life for a few days...