Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 07-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Nickw

Vehicle: 1992 d21 2wd 2.4
Default 2.4 rough idle

Hello Nissan owners! I have just purchased a 92 d21 with 38k miles. It has been sitting for at least a year so I changed all the fluids except coolant, replaced plugs and wires and fuel filter. My problem right now is an idle around 2000-1500 and every minute or so it will bag down to about 800 any ideas? The last service record was an adjusted timing chain less than 200 miles ago In 2014. Truck had a quarter a tank when purchased and I since have filled it up. Any ideas are appreciated as I am not very familiar with this engine. Thanks, -Nick
Nickw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:12 PM   #2
h.stickeye

Vehicle: 91 Nissan Navara d21 Single Cab

Hi nick. This is a really common problem with a few possible solutions. I would recommend using the search function, as it has been covered a many many times. I'm not trying to be a dick, but this forum has so much good info that it seems a waste to repeat it every time. Oh, nice find tho! Original miles?
h.stickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Usually that's going to be a vacuum leak, or something around the throttle body area. There are so many things it could be.

One thing that might be worth it is to take it to a REALLY GOOD foreign auto shop and just pay the money to have it completely gone over and diagnosed. If that is the original mileage, (38,000 miles) it is definitely worth the money. Just make sure you get your money's worth. MAKE them pin down the exact problem, which you can usually fix yourself.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,074 Times in 946 Posts

If you are careful and use short bursts, air leaks can be found quickly with starter fluid. You would want to hold the fan stationary while you are doing this, so the starter fluid does not flow away with the fan's wind before it gets sucked into the spot that has a leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
One thing that might be worth it is to take it to a REALLY GOOD foreign auto shop and just pay the money to have it completely gone over and diagnosed.
I did that with mine. I dropped it off at the local Nissan dealership for their free service inspection.

They came back with a list that scared me to death. I want to say it was showing $6000 or $8000 for repairs. I thanked them for their inspection, told them I'd get some of the serious ones done first, but had to save up.

They handed me the list of items that needed fixing, and the list even had part numbers on it. Most of the items were silly (windshield wipers, radiator cap, brake fluid), but the big items I eventually had to address (bad injectors).
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
I did that with mine. I dropped it off at the local Nissan dealership for their free service inspection.

They came back with a list that scared me to death. I want to say it was showing $6000 or $8000 for repairs. I thanked them for their inspection, told them I'd get some of the serious ones done first, but had to save up.

They handed me the list of items that needed fixing, and the list even had part numbers on it. Most of the items were silly (windshield wipers, radiator cap, brake fluid), but the big items I eventually had to address (bad injectors).

Sounds like their ploy to get you into a brand new or pre-owned Frontier backfired.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
alabama_lowlife
Owner and Administrator

Vehicle: 2011 Nissan Frontier, 08 altima, 1970 Datsun 521, 1995 Nissan Hardbody
Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands On View Post
Sounds like their ploy to get you into a brand new or pre-owned Frontier backfired.
Where do we need to get these payments so we can get you into this truck today?
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,074 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands On View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama_lowlife View Post
Where do we need to get these payments so we can get you into this truck today?
LOL - yeah, the salesman "strongly recommended" that I trade it in because it was not worth keeping.

Of course, I did not.

2 days later, I get a call from the dealership because one of their employees wants to buy it.

Yeah, oily snakes!
1994 VG30E to VG33E with H256 Cams

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
Deerhurst
4/86 SE-V6 2 tone 4x4 HB

Vehicle: 1986.5 Hardbody

Haha! Had a lot lizard offer $500 for my truck on a BA frontier I was tempted to grab a while back. He lost that sale as soon as he said he was sure he could get me $500 for my old truck.
VG33i
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #9
Hands On
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Vehicle: A Hardbody

First time I heard of car salespersons called 'lot lizards'. Only know that term as it's used by truckers.

SBJ (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 AM   #10
SBJ
Total Buzzkill

Vehicle: '90 D21 4cyl 5spd 2wd

LOL one day I had one of the 'lot lizards' try and sell me a new toyota when all I came for was to have a brand new key cut so I could make copies. (the original was in awful shape). Another time I was trying to buy a gallon of the special red kool-aid from them before replacing all the hoses and the thermostat. The guy at the counter told me they don't sell it separately but they would gladly service my car's cooling system for a nominal fee. Needless to say the dealership 30 miles down the road got my business instead.

It always blows my mind listening to all the car dealership ads on the radio. Are there really that many people who hear the words 'bad credit' and 'no down payment' and then go out and buy a brand new car? And here I am rolling around in an $800 truck...I could be driving a brand new car instead lol.
SBJ is online now   Reply With Quote