Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
D-Dub
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 33
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sunroof

Replacing the seal that goes around the edge of the glass on the stock moonroof.

The old seal fell off in some places when removing it, and other places I had to scrape and cut off, does the new seal need to be installed with an adhesive?
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
YEPEE
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,564
Vehicle: 86.5 HB, 02 Sentra Spec-V
Thanks: 158
Thanked 229 Times in 202 Posts
Default

do you have a new seal? I would think it should fit a little snug so you should not have to use anything on it, maybe wrong
YEPEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:18 AM   #3
D-Dub
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 33
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEPEE View Post
do you have a new seal? I would think it should fit a little snug so you should not have to use anything on it, maybe wrong
Yeah I got a deal on one from a dealership across the country for $25.
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer
 
cadillacdude1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Age: 46
Posts: 8,569
Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto
Thanks: 308
Thanked 945 Times in 876 Posts
Default

is it the seal on the glass or the seal that sits under the glass on the frame?
__________________
"Im officially lost" - wildbill
cadillacdude1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #5
D-Dub
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 33
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
is it the seal on the glass or the seal that sits under the glass on the frame?
Its on the glass, its called a protector seal, keeps junk out of the gutter on the sunroof.
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #6
Bullitt_180sx
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Age: 33
Posts: 253
Vehicle: 1993 D21 KC SE-V6 4x4 (Time Capsule)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Do you have any pictures or a part number?
Bullitt_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:04 AM   #7
D-Dub
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 33
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt_180sx View Post
Do you have any pictures or a part number?
73872-01G10 Protector, its #3 on the picture.

It uses sealant, it became obvious when I started to clean up the glass, its been a pain to scrape all of the old stuff off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (20.0 KB, 3 views)
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
XoXSciFiGuy
 
XoXSciFiGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,058
Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD
Thanks: 39
Thanked 147 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
73872-01G10 Protector, its #3 on the picture.

It uses sealant, it became obvious when I started to clean up the glass, its been a pain to scrape all of the old stuff off.
Use rubbing alcohol when removing glues, sealants, or tape...this advice comes to you from my girl Gayla, who has run her own cleaning biz since 1998. It not only removes the crap from glass, but does a good first clean.

Because of climate change and overhead sun, I have given up sun or moon roofs on Nissans. UV is bad.
__________________

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:50 PM   #9
D-Dub
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 33
Vehicle: Nissan D21 1987
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
Use rubbing alcohol when removing glues, sealants, or tape...this advice comes to you from my girl Gayla, who has run her own cleaning biz since 1998. It not only removes the crap from glass, but does a good first clean.

Because of climate change and overhead sun, I have given up sun or moon roofs on Nissans. UV is bad.
I had to cut the old seal off, and used acetone to get the rest off. I put the new seal on to dry fit and its pretty obvious that no sealant is needed now. I think the old one was just baked on to the rough part of the glass edge over the years.

I love the sunroof and the rear side windows for ventilation. I am making a cover out of pressboard to block the sun coming through the roof.
D-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
XoXSciFiGuy
 
XoXSciFiGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,058
Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD
Thanks: 39
Thanked 147 Times in 135 Posts
Default

Quote:
I love the sunroof and the rear side windows for ventilation. I am making a cover out of pressboard to block the sun coming through the roof.
One time I tried painting the top of the glass...it didn't work.
__________________

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 112,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.