Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Model Specific > Hardbody Forum (D21)

Old 06-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
OldRed

Vehicle: 1996 Nissan Pickup
Default Fuel level sending unit

OK guys. So my fuel gauge stopped working. Pretty sure it's the sending unit. Just replaced the tank and pump after getting water in my tank from the gas station after the hurricane. Drove it for I year before I figured out why it kept sputtering at 1/4 tank but was fine if I refilled it. Anyway... now this. I found one online at parts geek but it says 95 I drive a 96. Will the 95 work and how do I install this.
OldRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
cadillacdude1975
The Gear Jammer

Vehicle: 87 D21 SE KC V6 2wd 5sp & 86.5 V6 SE auto

remove the bed or remove the tank from the frame. remove the pump. the sending unit is what houses the pump.

personally, i would track how many miles it takes to run out of gas. of course, carry a 5 gallon can with you so when it does run empty, you can continue. so when you know the mileage, track it with the trip meter. make your refill point 50 miles from the empty number. or, just replace the sending unit.

i cant say i would be willing to go through that headache if that was the only issue i was having. i know that close to 200 miles on the trip meter means my ass better be finding fuel and quick. but then again i have had the truck 6 or 7 years now and i know how much it uses.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
OldRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 View Post
remove the bed or remove the tank from the frame. remove the pump. the sending unit is what houses the pump.

personally, i would track how many miles it takes to run out of gas. of course, carry a 5 gallon can with you so when it does run empty, you can continue. so when you know the mileage, track it with the trip meter. make your refill point 50 miles from the empty number. or, just replace the sending unit.

i cant say i would be willing to go through that headache if that was the only issue i was having. i know that close to 200 miles on the trip meter means my ass better be finding fuel and quick. but then again i have had the truck 6 or 7 years now and i know how much it uses.

I'm usually about 240 before refill. But sometimes my speedometer doesn't work. Then it will fly up to speed. so tripometer is unreliable....another repair. sigh. that's the plan though until I can replace sending unit. I like to keep everything on her working perfectly and original as possible. Had her since she was born.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,042 Times in 918 Posts

The instrument cluster on these can have issues.

Often, it's because the plastic parts are drying out, causing a little bit of shrinkage, so the little screws holding the filmpalast on the back is not making contact.

You can snug those little screws down, and often electrical contact is restored. You have to pull the cluster to do that, though, and if you do that, you might as well clean those contacts while you are at it.

Here's a great little write-up someone did on cleaning these plastic instrument clusters:

Instrument Cluster Repair w/pics (Part II)
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
OldRed (06-25-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
jp2code
Software Developer

Vehicle: 94 LB 2x4 Manual VG33e
Thanked 1,042 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRed View Post
OK guys. So my fuel gauge stopped working. Pretty sure it's the sending unit. Just replaced the tank and pump after getting water in my tank from the gas station after the hurricane. Drove it for I year before I figured out why it kept sputtering at 1/4 tank but was fine if I refilled it. Anyway... now this. I found one online at parts geek but it says 95 I drive a 96. Will the 95 work and how do I install this.
Re-read your original question. You are asking if a fuel tank sending unit for a 1995 will fit a 1996.

Yes, that should fit. It was covered on here in a thread within the last 6 months, but I don't remember the title or how it was worded. It seems like some year models swapped out the electrical connections on the top and others changed the wiring colors to comply with OBD.

The change was minor.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind always.

jp2code is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
OldRed

I think I figured out that I have a crack in my float. First time I refilled the tank my float went up and was registering 3/4 of a tank. And then quickly sank back down again. I think when the tank got empty the gas leaked out of the float. And then quickly refilled when I filled the car back up.