Go Back   Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums > Tech Area > Performance and Drifting

Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab
Default VG30ET information

Well this is basically the same block that Nissan used in the V6 trucks. I think it had a bit better oiling system and of course a weird turbo setup if you ask me. It also seemed that I was only going to get around 300HP to the wheels after buying quite a few parts, I wanted more power but didn't want to do too much custom work to make it fit, needless to say I got neither from this engine. When I purchased one of these and put it next to my truck I noticed a few things that wouldn't cut the mustard (I was able to sell the motor for what I paid but had to sit on it for awhile).

The turbo is mounted where my steering column was, major problem. The next thing is this motor has an exhaust system that wraps around the back of the block from the passenger side to the drivers side to help spool the turbo. Unless you beat the firewall in some, it would not mount to the factory engine mounts. The easiest fix for both problems is to create a custom twin turbo setup that would probably work really well but would probably need an aftermarket ECU and intake system to really be effective. I hear this block and factory internals can take some abuse but have not personally looked into it that much.

When I was looking to get a shop to custom fab exhaust and intakes, it was going to cost way more than I had to spend, swapping engines was a lot cheaper. Now that drifting has come around some of this custom fab work is not quite as much because more people can do it correctly.

Here are a few websites that have information on this, the motor came from the 1984-1988 Z31, 300ZX turbo models so you might be able to find more than I have.

http://www.z31.com/mods/
http://www.redz31.net/turbofaq/turbo.faq.htm

I will say this someone has done the swap, here is a youtube video of it, I have not seen the owner of this truck on here though. I do love the digital dash for what ever reason:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOawpFMKbls

I am not sure if he started with a V6 or 4 cyl and if he did anything special to mount this sucker.

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!

Last edited by scoobysmak; 11-07-2013 at 04:23 PM.
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
wildbill
math is sexy

Vehicle: 95 pickup 4x4

i had a z31 with this motor. it is a very durable motor, but it will never breathe. alot of guys had gotten to that 400 mark, but that was kinda the cap. it was a pita to work on, and parts are VERY expensive for it. for example, the ka exhaust manifold can be found for 75 bucks, i had a crack in my driver (NA at that) manifold, and it was 300 bucks or something stupid like that for a new one. rotating assembly parts are cheap enough, at least in the aftermarket end, but should you need anything for it from nissan or an oem replacement at all and youre going to shell out coin. why not use a chevy 292? inline 6, parts are cheap, and it will take you places. theyre a dime a dozen and getting a trans for it is no problem. id personally stay ka, but if youre sold on a swap, i wouldnt use a nissan motor. theyre great motors, but the only one id consider would be something ready to roll, like a vq35 or something. i had considered using the 034 code inline 5 2.3L audi motor out of the old quattro's, but then i remembered what im putting it in. its truly a shame there are really no good offerings at face value, but have you considered.....a vg30e with de heads goes up to 12:1 CR. some head work, 93, and a good ignition controller and youre good to go. i cant find any numbers off hand, but you could go to 3.3, build the head up to spin, and with good porting get a throttle happy, reliable motor. by the looks of your truck though, you seem to spend some coin, so do what makes you happy

but DO NOT get a digital dash, total POS and it will be a bit of work to put it in, just to have it stop working

"no one ever said a rocket scientist, and a backwoods redneck would get along" -cadillac dude
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
fbccars924
Trash Panda

Vehicle: 92 SE V6 5Spd(Carlos, vg33 Swapped), 90 pathy, 91 c2500 service truck, 19 sentra, 07 yaris.

Have you considered a VG33ER? Theoretically, speaking the engine is the same as a VG30E and all the major parts are shared with said VG30. If you track down a solid block, rockauto.com has the SC and I believe the heads for a pretty reasonable price, or if you're lucky and can find a good factory VG33ER for a decent price. Out side of a ECU harness swap, Reflash of the VG33 ECM there would be very little work done to the truck it's self. now 270 ish stock hp and not much room after that does suck a bit but the bottom end of the motor would be huge.

Or, you could just go bat S*** insane and try to build a VG33ETR that would require so much ECU and wiring work that it'd almost not be worth the 320 estimated HP(with a wide flat power curve).

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Case View Post
mine's a complete shitheap, bought from a guy who hacked it, who bought it from a complete retard.
i put 3k on it with a horrible rod knock before it barfed up a tranny.
it's ugly, loud, uncomfortable and smelly, but i'll be damned if it's not reliable.
fbccars924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
scoobysmak
Xtreme Lowz

Vehicle: 90 KA24 2wd Std Cab, 91 SR20DET 2wd Ext Cab

I appreciate all the input, it will help others make a choice if they want to go this route. That does suck about the digital dash being..... well a POS.

(just a note, I did not end up swapping to this motor, I just wanted useful information for anyone thinking about it to know what they are up against).

87 Nissan Pathfinder...on hold... , 93 Nissan Pickup Long Bed.....needs help!!!
scoobysmak is offline   Reply With Quote