View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 02:39 AM   #3
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

I've removed these transmissions here and there over the years. I learned two things not mentioned in the above article.

1) Like the author of this article said, the top two transmission bolts are a nightmare to reach, even with a flex-socket. If you aren't too picky about what's under the carpet, you can cut your floorboard dead-center in front of the shifter, in a three-sided square pattern...and then bend UP the metal. Not too much, just a few inches each side and across the bottom. Pry UP. Then you can reach the top bolts easy, both for removal and install. When you're done with the job, just tap the metal back down flat and secure it any way you wish. I suppose you could even weld it, but once the carpet is on who cares? And there it is in case you have to take it out in the future. On one old HB, I just used a few layers of duct tape and laid the carpet back over it. I came up with that idea after cursing and struggling with those two bolts for some hours. I said ENOUGH. "Where's that Sawzall with the short metal cutting blade..."

2) Spray difficult bolts FIRST with penetrating spray or oil. Wait. Spray them again. Wait again. Spray. Wait. Remove.

(I know cutting and bending back a piece of your tunnel sounds kind of weird, but I had to replace that clutch somehow. ) And if you're crazy enough to do this, make sure you tap the piece up and toward the front of the truck. Take a look under the truck first to determine the best spot to gain access to the bolts. It's roughly six-eight inches in front of the shifter boot, dead center. You will still need an extension to reach the bolts, but it makes things much easier.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 114,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 11-28-2017 at 09:24 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote