View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #16
jamx13

Vehicle: 2002 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab 2.4L 2WD

Take a good hard look at the suspension parts, front & rear, especially the bushings & springs. Shocks have nothing to do with ride height, all they do is damper the bounce; that's why they're called shock absorbers.

I had a broken leaf on the right rear of my 2WD Frontier. I knew it didn't ride well & had a slight wobble, but I couldn't find the problem. It turned out the leaf was broke just in front of the axle but the weight of the truck was keeping it forced in-place. I found the problem when the truck was put on a lift & the suspension was allowed to free hang, that's when the front 1/2 of the leaf popped out of place. I've always used a floor jack under the axle when doing brakes or taking the wheels off, that's why I never spotted it.

If you want to raise the rear, get a longer pair of shackles. You will have to customize them a bit because the stock shackle bolts are attached to one side plus they're different sizes. This may help: https://tinyurl.com/yb9ydgr6 You may or may not have to change the bushings.

Once the new shackles are in place, check the height at all four corners of the frame. If both front measurements match & both rear measurements match (or darn close to it), check the height at the center of the wheel wells. Once again, if both front measurements match & both rear measurements match, the truck is probably sitting OK from side to side. To adjust the front to rear height, you can play with the torsion bar adjustment. Remember that the rear generally should be higher then the front when the bed's unloaded. You'll have to decide what looks best to you, but don't go too crazy with the torsion bar adjusters unless you plan on having the front end re-aligned. A little tweaking should be OK though.

Last edited by jamx13; 07-17-2018 at 12:57 AM. Reason: spelling
jamx13 is offline   Reply With Quote