View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 01:53 AM   #16
XoXSciFiGuy

Vehicle: 1997 D21 King Cab XE 2WD

Yeah. NEW bolts. Never reuse the old ones. That's been my experience. Once they've been torqued...you know. Another reason he might keep blowing the gasket is that the head was slightly warped after the gasket blew the first time. I've seen some weird stuff people have tried. Like the double-gasket trick to try and 'cover up' the warp. That never works. Or the copper shim thing, which I don't trust either. When anything with an aluminum head starts to overheat, you gotta shut that engine down and like yesterday. Otherwise warpage is going to happen.

Foul Mouth says:
Quote:
'When performing normal maintenance and inspection first loosen each cylinder head bolt slightly then tighten to a torque of 74-83 N.m (7.5 to 8.5 kg-m, 54-61 ft-lb). (This should be done when the engine is cold.)'
Yes. But I think you have to do the bolts in a certain order, too. The reverse order of installation, I think.

1997 King Cab XE, 5-sp, canopy, AC/PS, KA24E, 113,000 miles. Need a technical manual? Drop me a message. Chilton's for amateurs.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-29-2017 at 02:01 AM.
XoXSciFiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote