Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hardbody Forum (D21) (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speedometer/odometer not working (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41604)

Z34nismo 05-14-2018 06:47 PM

Speedometer/odometer not working

Hey guys, I have another issue with my 90 d21 automatic. My speedometer and odometer both stopped working simultaneously. Forgive me if i sound stupid, but I had just replaced the transmission fluid filter and don't know if maybe there was something that I messed up while removing/installing the pan. Any ideas? Thanks.

Deerhurst 05-14-2018 08:19 PM

Check out the "Fix your speedo" sticky a few posts above yours. Some of us have done minor variants of the fix outlined in there with great success.

jp2code 05-15-2018 10:27 AM

If they both stopped working after you changed the transmission fluid, you might want to get under there to make sure you did not disconnect the speedometer cable from the transmission.

I've never worked on an automatic transmission, but I would not think that dropping the pan would affect the cable's operation ...unless you disconnected it.

XoXSciFiGuy 05-15-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2code (Post 503704)
If they both stopped working after you changed the transmission fluid, you might want to get under there to make sure you did not disconnect the speedometer cable from the transmission.

I've never worked on an automatic transmission, but I would not think that dropping the pan would affect the cable's operation ...unless you disconnected it.

You are right. If both speedo and odometer aren't working now, and they did before, this points to the way the cable is hooked into the transmission now. Possibly pulled and moved out of the way, re-connected incorrectly somehow. I have heard you should put the trans in neutral for both operations, but I won't swear to it.

Z34nismo 05-15-2018 11:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm just confused because I didn't have to disconnect anything (no cables) when dropping the pan. So it makes me wonder how I messed it up.

jp2code 05-15-2018 01:07 PM

The speedometer gear goes into the (passenger) side of the transmission. Dropping the pan alone would not interfere with the gear.

Possible: Your speedometer cable was in really bad shape, and moving things around underneath caused it to break internally.

There are 2 ways to test it.

1) unplug the speedo cable from the transmission and turn it. While you are turning it, there should be some kind of movement on the instrument cluster (speedometer dial). Yeah, it's going to take 2 people. If the speedometer doesn't move, go on to #2.

2) unplug the speedo cable from the back of the instrument cluster and turn the speedometer input. If it still does not move, the cluster died somehow.

Z34nismo 05-15-2018 01:14 PM

Thank you I will try that!

jp2code 05-15-2018 01:45 PM

I don't think the ignition has to be turned on for the speedometer to work.

I've turned my truck off before while rolling down a hill, and the gauge still works.

If you need to spin the speedometer cable faster, you could always plug the end up to a cordless drill. Just be careful and don't tear up anything by seeing how fast you can spin it.

cadillacdude1975 05-15-2018 06:42 PM

with it being a 90 model, my guess is the cable probably broke. a replacement is about 60 bucks, and can be changed in about an hour.

jp2code 05-15-2018 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 (Post 503731)
with it being a 90 model, my guess is the cable probably broke. a replacement is about 60 bucks, and can be changed in about an hour.

When you can find them. Last time I looked on Rock Auto, they were out.