Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions and Issues (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   1997 Nissan pickup need help (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36325)

Hershel 12-04-2015 01:52 AM

1997 Nissan pickup need help

I have had this truck since it was new never any problems until this year. New rear main clutch set timing chain set front cover and oil pan gasket all replaced and it still leaks oil running out of gaskets to replace but that's not my problem while driving it it feels like your taping the breaks kinda like a small hold back but only while on the gas and under 70 idles a little high I had the tsp replaced and it done good for a day or two now I'm stuck with this only thing the computer is sayin is bad gas cap anyone else experienced this

Foul_Mouth 12-04-2015 02:01 AM

What?

Hershel 12-04-2015 02:08 AM

The trucks doesn't accelerate like it should it's like the tps has fell out of whack a little. The only code that I'm getting though is the gas cap

ahardb0dy 12-04-2015 02:31 AM

Let me fix this a little:

"I have had this truck since it was new never any problems until this year. New rear main, clutch set, timing chain set, front cover and oil pan gasket all replaced and it still leaks oil.
Running out of gaskets to replace but that's not my problem.
While driving it it feels like your tapping the breaks kinda like a small drag but only while on the gas and under 70. Idles a little high I had the TPS replaced and it was good for a day or two now I'm stuck with this. Only thing the computer is saying is bad gas cap. Anyone else experienced this?"

Not trying to rag on how you posted, it's just hard to read the way it was written.

ahardb0dy 12-04-2015 02:44 AM

When was normal maint. done last? Tune up, oxygen sensors, fuel and air filters? plugs and plug wires? Is it a manual or auto transmission?

Have the rear brakes been done lately? Have you adjusted the rear brakes? possibly adjusted to tight?

Tire pressure good? To low may make it feel a little slugish

alabama_lowlife 12-04-2015 02:59 AM

When the timing chain was replaced, was the timing set to 10 degrees BTDC?

Hershel 12-04-2015 03:02 AM

Thank you I was trying to get it all in there and did not review what I had wrote. The maintenance has less than 10000 miles on it maybe even less than 5000 miles except the oil which has a couple hundred the breaks are in good working condition it's not the breaks catching because I have coasted down hills without the drag and the truck is five speed

Hershel 12-04-2015 03:05 AM

I'm not 100 percent on the timing chain I would assume I had a mechanic do it. It run great after I had him adjust the tps I've only put 500 miles on it since the work. The truck got a quarter tank and started this I figured maybe old gas so I put a full tank of good gas same problem. What problems will a bad gas cap cause

ahardb0dy 12-04-2015 03:07 AM

when ever I post something, I read it, edit, re-read, edit, I just wrote a post I edited it, 3 times ! LOL

It just makes it easier to figure out what someone is asking.

So you only feel like there is a drag when your on the gas, I'm not sure, nice thing about the 97 is you can use a scan tool and the OBD2 gives you a lot of info. I know you said you only had the one code.

Someone else will reply.

ahardb0dy 12-04-2015 03:07 AM

maybe bad gas, try some techron in the gas and/or some gas line antifreeze