Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions and Issues (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Premium Gas (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35682)

Fanophins 09-05-2015 01:49 PM

Premium Gas

Just my 2 cents, my truck is a 95 HB V6 and I,ve found that although like everybody I don't have a lot of cash but I've found that if I run name brand 93 octane fuel I get better gas milage and have less problems. I like BP 93 because they bought Amoco and it's still the best fuel in my opinion. Next would be Chevron with Techron followed by Sunoco etc. I stay away from 7 Eleven, Marathon etc. because they buy the bottom of the barrel gas. Go Hardbodys!!!

Foul_Mouth 09-05-2015 06:53 PM

You are still wasting your money. Octane only refers to how much pressure the fuel can withstand before self igniting (compression). Your VG doesn't make high compression so it's not gaining anything. Non-ethanol fuel would be more worth it for an engine that old.

ahardb0dy 09-05-2015 07:40 PM

When ever I ran the high octane gas in my former 87, I don't know if I was imagining it or what but it seemed like I used it faster than the low octane gas

1990nissanhardbody 09-08-2015 10:55 PM

this^ i ran 93 in my 1990 4cyl 5spd 4x4 and it lasted about 3 days before i had to fill up again

hardbodyhero 09-08-2015 11:01 PM

I had to switch to 93 because one day, Louise decided she didn't like 87 anymore and would valve hatter like a naked chick in the snow.

I also saw gains of about 1 or 2 mpg. Since I did some repairs, I went back to racetrack 87 octane. Its the only 87 I can use with no problems. Gas down here has a drastic difference of about 60-70 cents from 87 to 93 for whatever reason.

OldGreyBeast 09-09-2015 08:13 PM

Weird. I've never tried premium in mine. I wouldn't think it would like it because of the higher octane. Mine does prefer fuels without ethanol, but it's hard to find that anymore. I only buy premium for my Yaris (boosted - so high compression), don't really see any need to spend the extra 50-70 cents a gallon on premium for the ol' truck.

Foul_Mouth 09-09-2015 11:28 PM

Those noticing their butt-dyno indicating more power might have so much carbon buildup on the pistons that the compression ratio has actually gone up.

rkyclrk 09-11-2015 06:48 PM

I'm gonna have to say placebo effect on seeing more power or millage with premium. Higher octane is actually harder to ignite, therefore if anything it will run worse and get worse mileage in our engines. The reason newer more advanced cars (read: not our trucks) with higher compression engines would have more power or better millage with premium fuel is because they have knock sensors that signal the ECU to retard timing when they sense knock. Retarded ignition timing makes your engine less efficient and lowers the power. A vg30 should not be knocking on regular fuel.

hardbodyhero 09-12-2015 12:03 AM

I have a 4 though- I probably should have included that. But yea, they shouldn't knock, but even Alabamalowlife's had the same inexplicable issues with the knock too.

rkyclrk 09-16-2015 03:12 PM

I suppose If your engine is knocking and you don't want to dig deep into the engine to find out why (I don't blame you) and premium fuel helps then more *power* to ya. haha. I just don't like spreading the false idea that premium fuel=more hp and mpg in any vehicle or situation.