Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hardbody Forum (D21) (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Engine Coolant and Temp Gauge Sensor (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46145)

Jason Bourne 12-29-2021 04:31 PM

Engine Coolant and Temp Gauge Sensor

Iím going to be replacing my engine coolant temp sensor and temp gauge sensor. Iím not sure if any sealant should be applied to the threads to prevent leaking. The coolant sensor does come with a copper washer. The temp gauge sensor doesnít have any washer.

What does everyone think? Do they need sealant on the threads? If so what kind of sealant should be used.

PorknBeans 12-29-2021 04:37 PM

I’ve never used any sealant or gasket maker on either one…

It’s a plug ‘n’ play part.

OldGreyBeast 12-29-2021 05:50 PM

I don't have any sealer or a crush washer on my temp sensor either.

LugNut1990 12-29-2021 06:29 PM

For screw-in senders, I use a dab of Permatex #2, making sure to keep the business-portion of the sensor clean/clear.

Jason Bourne 12-29-2021 06:31 PM

Thanks for everyoneís response.

I managed to lose the U square paper clip like holder for the engine coolant sensor connector. Anyone know a part number for that?

SBJ 12-29-2021 07:04 PM

I've lost several of those over the years. You can make a new one out of a paper clip.

Jason Bourne 12-30-2021 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBJ (Post 556618)
I've lost several of those over the years. You can make a new one out of a paper clip.

Thanks for the tip. I actually got lucky and found it. I started the truck up and it must have shaken loose because I found it on the floor beneath.

Jordanbsg 12-30-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bourne (Post 556609)
Iím going to be replacing my engine coolant temp sensor and temp gauge sensor. Iím not sure if any sealant should be applied to the threads to prevent leaking. The coolant sensor does come with a copper washer. The temp gauge sensor doesnít have any washer.

What does everyone think? Do they need sealant on the threads? If so what kind of sealant should be used.

Hi, new to the site! My temp gauge on my 96 V6 is not working. Where did you get the new parts from ? Looking to replace mine as well in the near future.

PorknBeans 12-30-2021 05:56 PM

rockauto.com is the preferred supplier…

XoXSciFiGuy 12-31-2021 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bourne (Post 556609)

If you are going to use some type of sealer, don't use the permanent type. Believe it or not, I like using 90W gear oil on the threads and leaving it at that. The reason is because if you have to take it out later, it will come loose much easier. But there isn't much pressure behind these sensors, so traditional sealer really is not needed.