Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   4x4 and Offroading (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   2 inch body lift for Hardbody? Upgrading to 33's (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41565)

Coby 05-03-2018 03:22 PM

2 inch body lift for Hardbody? Upgrading to 33's

Hey Nissan fam!

I've seen 3 inch body lifts for Hardbody trucks, but no 1 or 2 inch kits.

Is there a company that makes them? Is there a company that custom makes kits?

My truck has 31's on it now with just a little torsion bar cranking to level the front.

I want to go to 33's. Was thinking a Rough Country suspension lift (2 inch) and figured I would only need another inch or two in body lift to have ample clearance.

The reason I'm hesitant to do a 3 inch body lift is because I've been in a Hardbody with a 3 inch body lift before and it was hard for it to go into 4L because of the body interfering with the transfer case shifter.

Maybe just a suspension lift would be enough to clear 33's? Maybe a bigger lift, like CalMini?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on this.

Cheers,
Coby

OldGreyBeast 05-03-2018 03:29 PM

I had a local shop make a custom 2" body lift for mine so I could run 33s. They also lengthened the shifters and stuff so everything sits exactly as it did from the factory. No reaching down to the floor to change gears or anything.

I've got the Calmini 3" kit and a 2" body lift and I still scrub when turning or going over bumps/etc. with 33s. The only way to not scrub is to go SAS.

Coby 05-03-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast (Post 503079)
I've got the Calmini 3" kit and a 2" body lift and I still scrub when turning or going over bumps/etc. with 33s. The only way to not scrub is to go SAS.

Do you know what is scrubbing?

OldGreyBeast 05-03-2018 04:15 PM

All over the place. Fenders, frame, steering idler arm, etc.

Coby 05-04-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast (Post 503084)
All over the place. Fenders, frame, steering idler arm, etc.

How wide are your rims and tires? Backspacing on rims?

I was thinking about 15x8's with -3.75 backspacing and 33x10.50's

Thanks,
Coby

OldGreyBeast 05-04-2018 03:05 PM

I'm running 16x8 wheels. No idea what the backspacing is. Pretty sure the tires are 10.5 width, I'll try to remember to check when I get home from work this evening.

Mine scrubs on the inside and the outside of the tire though, so I don't think any amount of spacing will keep you scrub free. To me, the scrubbing is worth having the bigger tires. The off road capability is vastly improved over the old 31.5s.

Coby 05-04-2018 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGreyBeast (Post 503176)
I'm running 16x8 wheels. No idea what the backspacing is. Pretty sure the tires are 10.5 width, I'll try to remember to check when I get home from work this evening.

Mine scrubs on the inside and the outside of the tire though, so I don't think any amount of spacing will keep you scrub free. To me, the scrubbing is worth having the bigger tires. The off road capability is vastly improved over the old 31.5s.

Cool, thanks for that.

I was just asking, b/c I'm thinking a slightly skinnier tire (10.5 vs "normal" 12.5) might help me with scrubbing.

I'm getting mixed answers in my research. Some folks say they scrub with 31's or 32's and I've read some saying they have no scrub lock to lock with 33's and even one guy with 35's.

So confusing, lol. :confused:

My truck didn't come stock with 31's, it had the smaller tires, but I don't have any scrubbing issues currently using stock rims. The 31's were already on it when I got it and it seemed to be stock height. I twisted the t-bars to level it out. (My avatar pic is what it looked before I drove it off the Used Car Lot).

Cheers,
Coby

ahardb0dy 05-04-2018 03:21 PM

I would do the 3" kit, for all the work that has to be done, might as well get the extra inch, when I had the 3" BL in my former 87, we heated up the transfer case shifter and bent it slightly so it would go into 4 low without having to cut the floor, never had any problems getting it into 4 low

Coby 05-04-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahardb0dy (Post 503179)
I would do the 3" kit, for all the work that has to be done, might as well get the extra inch, when I had the 3" BL in my former 87, we heated up the transfer case shifter and bent it slightly so it would go into 4 low without having to cut the floor, never had any problems getting it into 4 low

That's a good idea!

OldGreyBeast 05-04-2018 04:11 PM

Mine came with 31.5s on 15x6 or 15x7 wheels, can't remember which. I installed some 15x8" wheels and moved the tires from my previous wheels over to them and it started scrubbing. The new wheels had a bit less backspacing than the OEM ones (like maybe 1"). I say that just to say that Nissan set these trucks up basically to run that particular 31.5 on that particular wheel and that's about it. Not a lot of room for play in there. If you ditch your fender flares, you'll get less scrubbing on the outside of the tire, but IMO the flares look too good on there to get rid of haha.