Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engine and Drivetrain (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Replacement 4x4 questions..?? (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42750)

supersayianjim 03-04-2019 12:37 AM

Replacement 4x4 questions..??
 
https://i.imgur.com/oGDZUjEl.jpg


So, my tranny broke. was driving the other night around town trying it out, not even getting into it. had it upto 65mph in 5th gear and BOOM!!!! lost all of my gears except 4th. so I used the remainder of 4th gear to limp me back to my shop.

WHY, did this happen? im thinking because I swapped out my rear end with a hb233 rear end out of a 5spd 4x4 95 pathfinder. thinking maybe that is what did it in?


now im fucked and need a tranny BUT I have some questions....

I have an 1987 4cyl 4x4 5 spd pathfinder "e".

--will a 1997 hardbody ka24e 5 speed tranny work?

--will I need that same 97 front diff also?


--Will that 97 trans work with hb233 rear end? :crybaby:

SBJ 03-04-2019 12:57 AM

I would bet that your countershaft drive gear sheared off or something to that effect. In 4th gear the power goes straight through the transmission and the countershaft just sort of freewheels. If 4th is the only gear that works then something is up with the countershaft. I think any transmission out of a 4cyl 4X4 will bolt up.

supersayianjim 03-04-2019 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBJ (Post 517708)
I would bet that your countershaft drive gear sheared off or something to that effect. In 4th gear the power goes straight through the transmission and the countershaft just sort of freewheels. If 4th is the only gear that works then something is up with the countershaft. I think any transmission out of a 4cyl 4X4 will bolt up.

I know they will bolt up, but will the gear ratios of a newer tranny work with a 95 diff from a pathy have matching gears?

SBJ 03-04-2019 01:36 AM

I believe the gear ratios are the same for pretty much all the FS5W71C transmissions found in the D21, and were used with a variety of final drive ratios. The only thing I can think of that would negatively affect the transmission would be if the front and rear differentials had different final drive ratios as a result of the rear end swap. Sorry I can't contribute more, hopefully some of the 4wd guys will chime in.

supersayianjim 03-04-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBJ (Post 517715)
I believe the gear ratios are the same for pretty much all the FS5W71C transmissions found in the D21, and were used with a variety of final drive ratios. The only thing I can think of that would negatively affect the transmission would be if the front and rear differentials had different final drive ratios as a result of the rear end swap. Sorry I can't contribute more, hopefully some of the 4wd guys will chime in.

thank you sir, some help is better than none

Deerhurst 03-04-2019 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBJ (Post 517715)
I believe the gear ratios are the same for pretty much all the FS5W71C transmissions found in the D21, and were used with a variety of final drive ratios. The only thing I can think of that would negatively affect the transmission would be if the front and rear differentials had different final drive ratios as a result of the rear end swap. Sorry I can't contribute more, hopefully some of the 4wd guys will chime in.


Even that wouldn't hurt the tranny, just blow the transfer case if you have traction having and over driven front is used in some competitions like pulling but not good for a normal every day 4x4.



I'm not a 4cyl guy but the only thing that a different tranny ratio would do is change your final drive. Shouldn't really be any different than dramatically changing tire sizes or anything. SBJ seems to be onto something.

supersayianjim 03-04-2019 02:24 AM

five-speed manual (FS5W71G for the four-cylinder with 0.821:1 overdrive ratio and FS5R30A behind the V-6 engines with 0.81:1 overdrive ratio.

is this a big difference?

SBJ 03-04-2019 02:41 AM

That shouldn't make much of a difference, if any.

Deerhurst 03-04-2019 02:54 AM

.011 revolutions per one different. That's probably a lot less than the difference from putting new tires on the truck. The FS5R30A won't bolt to the KA, sadly.

supersayianjim 03-04-2019 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deerhurst (Post 517724)
.011 revolutions per one different. That's probably a lot less than the difference from putting new tires on the truck. The FS5R30A won't bolt to the KA, sadly.

what if I use the front case from a 4cyl on the 6cyl?


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.