Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums

Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/index.php)
-   Nissan Cars (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   '93 NX2000 BOTH power windows intermittent (http://www.infamousnissan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40102)

sajohnson 07-20-2017 02:41 AM

'93 NX2000 BOTH power windows intermittent

The windows in our NX usually operate normally, including the lock and 'auto down' functions.

Periodically however, they both stop working and will not go up or down.

Any idea what might cause this?

Foul_Mouth 07-20-2017 02:45 AM

Bad switch pack?

sajohnson 07-20-2017 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foul_Mouth (Post 486016)
Bad switch pack?

I think you just beat the world record for fastest reply to a thread!

I actually have the ginormous 1993 Nissan Sentra/NX service manual, but I don't recall seeing anything called a 'switch pack'. What is it?

sajohnson 07-20-2017 03:28 AM

Power window amplifier

In another thread here on IN someone posted a schematic that showed a 'window amplifier'. I'd never heard of such a thing.

I'll have to take another look at the service manual.

cadillacdude1975 07-20-2017 04:00 AM

my former camry had switch issues. if one of the door switches wasnt working, the window would not operate from the master switch until the bad switch on the door got replaced.

sajohnson 07-20-2017 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillacdude1975 (Post 486022)
my former camry had switch issues. if one of the door switches wasnt working, the window would not operate from the master switch until the bad switch on the door got replaced.

Thanks -- in this case though, both windows do not work.

Foul_Mouth 07-20-2017 05:09 AM

The switch pack would be the master window switches on the drivers door. Nothing but wearable moving parts there.

sajohnson 07-20-2017 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foul_Mouth (Post 486027)
The switch pack would be the master window switches on the drivers door. Nothing but wearable moving parts there.

Gotcha.

Well, good news and bad news. I just went out to see if I can access the switch pack without removing the door panel -- it looks like I can.

The good news is, I tried the window switches and they worked -- both doors.

The bad news is, now I can't troubleshoot the problem.

I'll have to wait for the windows to fail again. There is quite a bit that is common to both.

I suppose that even though the windows are currently working, I could check resistance of the switch contacts.

ahardb0dy 07-20-2017 08:56 AM

when the window in my former pathfinder would only go down but not up, I took the motor out of the door, removed the metal cover, cleaned it out and wiped the coil down and reinstalled it and it was fine afterwards.

cadillacdude1975 07-20-2017 02:03 PM

those switches arent much but a copper contact with a spring between the plastic button and the contact. you could try some electronics contact cleaner. just insert that little tube in there and give it a squirt while working the buttons. it cant hurt.