PDA

View Full Version : My truck @ GBScustoms

sliturnek
08-06-2009, 09:39 PM
whats up everyone, havent been around in a while but i figured i would drop by and post a status report on my 95hb currently @ GBScustoms in norwich NY.

Well this winter rick started on the truck by replacing the oem control arm's with new uppers & lowers from can-do specialties and new belltech drop spindles. will post a pic of those shortly while im changing wheels :)

The truck was awful when i got it, thought it would be a good start but taking another look at it im surprised i drove it the way it was...
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/SlitUrNek/SSPX0008.jpg

so after i accepted the fact that the chassis should be cut behind the cab and rebuilt this is what we have come up with
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/SlitUrNek/photo-1.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/SlitUrNek/photo-2.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/SlitUrNek/photo.jpg

there is still work to be done but its almost there. that back square is where the 20gal aluminum fuel cell will sit and have a bit of a cage around it. the 12gal tank will be anywhere we can make it fit but that im sure will need some thought. I am slowly sanding the truck down during this process for a flat black coat before it leaves.

more pics i hope soon

jimmy726
08-06-2009, 09:56 PM
alright so the bottom bag plates arent supported are there going to be gussets put under it?????? Other than that it looks like over kill but shit better safe than sorry all in all i like it bro. Keep the pics coming

sliturnek
08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
i want to drive/drag this truck daily... last thing i want to happen is the frame split or w/e may be the case... i feel sorry for the person who hits the back end of this truck, hope they have full coverage. the bottom mounts will be gusseted on the bar, like i said, there is still work to be done. as much as i would love to be driving it right now while the weather is good im patiently waiting.

where in FL are u jimmy? my plan @ the end of this summer is to return to the treasure coast. might swing through ur area on the way through

also the initial thought was to bring the bars from the top of the notch over the 4link and end @ the top of the front bridge but then we decided to cut out the fancy shit and just finnish the thing

beaver720
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
go flat blue, everybody and their grandma have flat black trucks, nothin agenst it just my :2:

sliturnek
08-06-2009, 11:09 PM
well its either flat black or a 2-tone but i cant afford the 2-tone nice paint job however the original paint is horrid and the graphics were done with masking tape... lol it must go and i prefer a flat black

$krap_IN_flesh
08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
as a flat black owner if you do flat black better do some graphics or something to make it stand out in the sea of other flat black trucks which is why mine is getting redone this winter

jimmy726
08-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I live in lake city and its pretty much outside of gainsville, I live right off i-75. And yeah you are defiantly going to fuck someones shit up if they hit you.

pugz
08-06-2009, 11:47 PM
the lower bag mounts are gonna twist off to the side of a round bar like that. twisting creates stress, stress creates cracks, cracks create oh shit moments

sliturnek
08-06-2009, 11:51 PM
alright alright, i will think about grey ghost real-flames but if i stay here this winter the truck will return to gbscustoms for more work. if i go back to FL then the truck is on hold for a bit.

left to be done body wise is suicide doors, wheel wells *front & back*, shave everything, and basically the whole bed.
interior is right after with sound deadener, new carpet, fiberglass box molded to the console / dash, fiberglass dash to fit touchscreen LCD, placement for a mac mini, and the arduino to control bags/windows/engine via iphone

oneslick720
08-06-2009, 11:51 PM
that and the notch is welded on the top of the frame... not a good idea either... not trying to talk bad about it but that is just not a good idea...IT WILL BREAK if you plan on driving hard

pugz
08-06-2009, 11:58 PM
^^^^ damn i didnt even see that. thats definatly unsafe. it needs to be all the way down. or now need to be gusseted front, back, and side to side jsut to make sure. espicaly since its a back half from there. thats too much stress on the thin lil top of the stock frame

sliturnek
08-07-2009, 12:07 AM
have you ever been to NY oneslick720? the roads out here are brutal, driving @ any speed on any road here is similar to bajaing... if it breaks so be it, there is nothng that i can do but bring it back to the shop and fix it... at this point i will take the truck in any shape as long as i can hop in and hit some switches before it breaks.

sliturnek
08-07-2009, 12:09 AM
thats also not stock frame that its welded to... the stock frame ends before that and there is steel inside the joint of stock frame to current

oneslick720
08-07-2009, 12:14 AM
its all good ha i live in south mississippi i know what ya mean by rough roads... like pugs said gussets will be a safety must cause it will go from a back half to a no half really quick.. seen it happen before

like i said im not hatin just looking out

O.G.Tierdrop
08-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Nice truck

sliturnek
08-07-2009, 01:15 AM
I will bring it to his attention, i hadnt really noticed it myself but i did notice the joint from old fame to new so for some reason i just assumed it was there too... the lower bag mounts i think will be fine gusseted properly on that bar. we were going to place the lower mount directly above the bar however if we do that then it moves the bag further forward on that link and cause the lift to be like 2.5'... no thanks... even lift/drop is a must

Minitucking
08-07-2009, 12:33 PM
the lower bag mounts are gonna twist off to the side of a round bar like that. twisting creates stress, stress creates cracks, cracks create oh shit moments

Yep my old setup was on the side of my lowers and the bushing wore out faster than you could replace them..... I would move it to the center to eliminate any stress.

Ven
08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
yea, definitly want to get those lower bag mounts on the center of the bars with gussets. Also would reconsider how the backhalf is tying into the stock frame. I like to create a slot slide the 2x3 down into it wled it in, then weld some plates over the span tying it all together.

Not trying to be critical, but no matter if you are driving on rough OR smooth roads you want it to be safe and strong as possible.

pugz
08-07-2009, 01:21 PM
If the links the bag mounts are on were square tubing with just bushings
(not a pivot joint) it might be ok. But round bars and pivots are gonna twist.

Im just trying to help u make sure once it leaves the shop it doesnt break.

sliturnek
09-06-2009, 12:46 AM
well as of today we kept the bag mounts where they were since 1/2 the work was already done and if we moved them i wouldn't be driving my truck this year. the gussets were made with 1/4 flat stock & have 2 per lower mount. no worries, all in good time *first snow fall* the truck will be back @ GBS customs for another winter of to-do's and taking a second look at the rear bag mounts. i was originally trying to get him to do a canti-lever so thats always an option :rolleyes:

the bed needs some more attention before it leaves though, its deff out of square as you can see at the top of the notches but that should be taken care of on tuesday. we are making use of the 1/2" air line this time around since its already ran however that will go to 1/2" copper tubbing this winter as well.

so i have made the final decision on the paint that is going on the truck in a couple days, flat black w/ dark to light grey real flames over some hidden skulls that run from the grill to tailgate. not sure if i will keep it that way but for now it doesnt seem like a bad idea.

in regards to the notches, flat stock gussets got put on the face for extra support & i know they aint going anywhere now. the fuel cell still needs to be mounted and hooked up. any ideas on an external pump to use? something to do the trick but not overkill.

here is the 2 pics i snapped while i was there
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/SlitUrNek/IMG_0088.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/SlitUrNek/IMG_0089.jpg

kmanuel
09-06-2009, 01:05 AM
your lower bag mounts are still going to twist the link bar

sliturnek
09-06-2009, 01:30 AM
yes, i am fully aware what they are going to do... im driving the truck for maby a month and after that its being cut out again. and yes im aware that i will replace the bushings at the end of that month... at this point im getting to drive it and thats all i care about

Otto347
09-06-2009, 02:50 AM
A shop did that? Ok................

kmanuel
09-06-2009, 04:17 AM
A shop did that? Ok................

Not funny, but funny.
Know what I mean?

pugz
09-06-2009, 05:19 AM
^^^x2

jdoe44
09-06-2009, 06:21 AM
I thought everyone loved DJfreez and hung on every word of every writeup he ever wrote in the third person back in the nms days?

Otto347
09-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Not funny, but funny.
Know what I mean?
Yeah but when the shops name is in the title like its something special im expecting some nice shit. Every guy who "builds" a truck is a fucking custom/fabrication shop. In order to call yourself a "custom/fabrication" shop, there should be some kind of bar that is set and if your quality of work doesnt add up then you dont pass go......dont collect $200.......dont get to have custom or fabrication tagged onto your name. Shits getting old..............

kmanuel
09-06-2009, 02:10 PM
I totally agree ^^^

I would never pay someone for that kind of work.

ScottXGTR
09-06-2009, 03:57 PM
well as of today we kept the bag mounts where they were since 1/2 the work was already done and if we moved them i wouldn't be driving my truck this year. the truck will be back @ GBS customs for another winter of to-do's and taking a second look at the rear bag mounts.

yes, i am fully aware what they are going to do... im driving the truck for maby a month and after that its being cut out again. and yes im aware that i will replace the bushings at the end of that month... at this point im getting to drive it and thats all i care about

tsk tsk tsk.

do it right the first time. its cheaper that way.

thats what separates an actual shop from a hack job with a garage. we all have made mistakes. cutting the wrong angle on something, coming up 1/2" short, being 1/4" out of square. the difference is an actual shop will fix it before it rolls out the door, whereas a hack job will let you leave and fix it for you as many times as your willing to come back, and charging you every time for their fuckups.

best of luck sir.

sliturnek
09-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Not everyone can afford HoH scott... it was my decision to continue with the truck after issues were brought to his attention, he has done a lot for me and for barely what it cost him in parts/material if that. & if nothing else he's a phenomenal painter & all around good dude.

jdoe44
09-06-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm not trying to stir the pot, I'm not trying to put you down, but if or when it breaks (like you expect it to) I really truly sincerely hope it doesn't hurt you or anyone else on the road. All it takes is one hackjob railing uncontrollably off the side of the road and into an orphanage full of blind and crippled children and POOF, everyone with a minitruck gets painted with that same brush.

jdoe44
09-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Not everyone can afford HoH scott...

And it's not about an elitism attitude, sneering at those who ball on a budget. It's about doing things solid and the right way and having a truck that's roadworthy even if it's not fancy artistic metalwork.

kmanuel
09-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Not everyone can afford HoH scott... it was my decision to continue with the truck after issues were brought to his attention, he has done a lot for me and for barely what it cost him in parts/material if that. & if nothing else he's a phenomenal painter & all around good dude.

It isnt safe, it doesn't matter how great of a guy he may be.

I am glad I dont live anywhere near you. I would hate to be driving next to you if (more probably when) something breaks.

pugz
09-06-2009, 10:42 PM
U must not have asked ice. He's really reasonable and charges the same if not less than most shops. And at least he knows what he's doing. It's not about us talking shit about the shop yours is at. It's about u haveing a safe truck to drive down the road. If on of your link bars twists and breaks on the highway you will most likely not be able to control it and then what. Anything u hit or fuck up will be your fault for driving an unsafe vehicle.

sliturnek
09-07-2009, 12:13 AM
i talked to ice way back when, he even offered to let my truck sit @ the shop since it has to travel from upstate NY. if i were still living in FL that would have been the route i would have taken but since just getting my truck to alabama is gunna cost me $500 and i have only spent $700 thus far including all my parts aside from the OMFG price of uppers and lowers by can-do. its still an option but i have to start a career before i can afford to spend that much... still only making $9hr with 90% of the pay going to bills welcome to shit hole NY :)

Otto347
09-07-2009, 01:59 AM
aside from the OMFG price of uppers and lowers by can-do.
Dont worry, I should have a solution to that problem sometime next year. That is one thing I will agree with you on, for what those arms are they are completely fucking overpriced.

chalybs
09-07-2009, 02:47 AM
I should have a solution to that problem sometime next year.

And that would be?

Otto347
09-07-2009, 03:40 AM
And that would be?
A set of quality arms that are not priced like they are made of gold.

sliturnek
09-07-2009, 03:54 PM
those things were about $900 shipped and took over 3 months to get them to me. they are nice arms but sooo over priced

ScottXGTR
09-07-2009, 04:02 PM
last i checked the house of hack wasnt made of gold either.

you seem to mave missed the most important part of what i said.

do it right the first time. its cheaper that way.

sliturnek
09-07-2009, 05:15 PM
i got what you said scott... i highly doubt it is going to cost me any more labor for him in a month to cut that out and at least throw a shitty looking bridge across the notches and mount the bags to the top of the rear end. then the truck will sit in my driveway for years because i will refuse to drive it untill i can afford to bring it to another shop...

the truck has been @ his shop for going on a year, if i take it right this second i will need a flat bed to haul it to my house where it wont at least be moveable.

chalybs
09-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I've been in a similar predicament that didn't end well. You gotta man up and either make it right or get it away. Could have been like mine with a full frame that was worthless and only a cab and pieces to take away...

sliturnek
09-07-2009, 08:13 PM
word ^^

like i said, hes a good guy, he now knows his mistakes and is willing to fix them. I only really need my truck for 2 days and thats my birthday the 11th and graduation the 12th. for all i care it can go back and redone almost immediately. i have had no vehicle since mid june using my bosses vehicles for months now. the summer is almost over, i have spent all my money on that truck to drive untill winter and now i still have no vehicle to drive...